Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Feb 10, 2013, 11:18 AM   #1
palmharbor
Banned

New letal popups

A new generation of pop ups is here. I have been in a situation where I am applying for a job on line and when you click apply
a popup comes up now and sends U to a "buy my sh__" site
for auctions selling iPads for $21.00 or diet meds, or Rx drugs
or signup for a job search site. It got so bad, I sent the firm a note on their corporate website telling them this is happening.
I got contacted by email by the S.M saying send me your résumé.
This is happening on facebook and a whole range of website where you input some text. I have the Firefox 18.02 that is supposed to stop this but it fails badly. We are so commercialized
by companies demanding we buy their crap that I think the net will be a different place in a year....FM radio was ruined by all the many screaming commercials and this will be too.
palmharbor is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 11:33 AM   #2
Mackilroy
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to Mackilroy
Use an ad blocker or pop-up blocker. I don't see any such ads–on any site.

As you're using Firefox (I'm typing this from Chrome) try this link from Mozilla to adjust your pop-up blocker settings.

Also, online job sites seem to be filled with those sorts of redirects–depending on the job you may be much better off applying in person.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 11:46 AM   #3
palmharbor
Banned

?

So if the firm is in Ohio and I am in Florida for a job based in Florida, I should just hope on a plane and go to Ohio? Even jobs at Walmart require an on-line application.
The idea that you don't see them therefore they don't exist
is a narrow point of view. My Firefox is set to block them but a new kind of Pop up exists that is not stopped by conventional means.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackilroy View Post
Use an ad blocker or pop-up blocker. I don't see any such ads–on any site.

As you're using Firefox (I'm typing this from Chrome) try this link from Mozilla to adjust your pop-up blocker settings.

Also, online job sites seem to be filled with those sorts of redirects–depending on the job you may be much better off applying in person.
palmharbor is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 01:31 PM   #4
Mackilroy
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to Mackilroy
Quote:
Originally Posted by palmharbor View Post
So if the firm is in Ohio and I am in Florida for a job based in Florida, I should just hope on a plane and go to Ohio? Even jobs at Walmart require an on-line application.
The idea that you don't see them therefore they don't exist
is a narrow point of view. My Firefox is set to block them but a new kind of Pop up exists that is not stopped by conventional means.
Try to read a little more carefully–I said for some types of jobs, not all.

Where did I say they don't exist? I use ad blockers specifically because I know they exist and I don't want to see them.

Take a screenshot of this pop-up–and what site are you going to? I'll open it as a tab and see if the pop-ups affect me.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Tags
firefox, popups