Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Feb 11, 2013, 05:27 PM   #301
JayJayAbels
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: May 2012
Geo-fencing with a watch could be VERY interesting indeed.
__________________
"Death is the most wonderful invention of life. It purges the system of these old models that are obsolete." - Steve Jobs
JayJayAbels is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 06:16 PM   #302
kaneda
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Rumors

Google abandoned Google glass project and concentrate on google nexus wrist watch project..
__________________
WOW! LOOK AT THAT!
kaneda is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 06:35 PM   #303
IbisDoc
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Lets see.....Cartier watch, Tag watch......HELL NO! I want to wear an iWatch in public!
__________________
100+ posts! Finally, I'm privileged enough to post in the political threads.
IbisDoc is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 07:41 PM   #304
eject
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: London
Quote:
Originally Posted by sshhoott View Post
It seems now Apple is trying to follow the market instead of the market following them. I mean, look at iPhone +, which will have 5" screen to imitate the S3. And the iWatch will be an imitation of the Pebble watch. Is Apple just surviving?
Just like Apple never claimed to invent the MP3 player, they reinvented and did it well. Just like the iphone, Apple won't claim to have invented a wristwatch, just reinvented something - I can see this working because of the ecosystem. endless opportunities. Remember how huge Swatch watches were in the 80s... not saying they replace a beautiful timepiece - but an iwatch could have a niche place in my world...
eject is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 08:27 PM   #305
osaga
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
This could be really really bad for Apple. Regardless of how great it is, anything short of life changing will be criticized relentlessly by the media. It could be mocked by the public.

If they do it, it should come with a huge disclosure on the box "This is not meant to be like the iphone or the ipad, it will not change your life, it is an accessory."
osaga is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 09:03 PM   #306
WilliamLondon
macrumors 68000
 
WilliamLondon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by osaga View Post
This could be really really bad for Apple. Regardless of how great it is, anything short of life changing will be criticized relentlessly by the media. It could be mocked by the public.

If they do it, it should come with a huge disclosure on the box "This is not meant to be like the iphone or the ipad, it will not change your life, it is an accessory."
So says, Mr. C. Everett Koop.
WilliamLondon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 09:26 PM   #307
Intarweb
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: May 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarDTO View Post
haha, it's definitely not for everyone I'm not an attention whore though in the least bit, I simply don't care what other people think. I enjoy people's reactions in general good or bad. Why take life so seriously I figure.
I tried searching for it. Do you have a link?
Intarweb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 09:41 PM   #308
Bubba Satori
macrumors 68040
 
Bubba Satori's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: B'ham
Quote:
Originally Posted by numbersyx View Post
They will have the iWatch 2 out before the new Mac Pro.

But seriously, just how many areas is Apple entering? TV and now this? Isn't it stretching itself a little thin?
And they just patented an iShoe.

Yes.
Bubba Satori is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 02:58 AM   #309
elgrecomac
macrumors 6502a
 
elgrecomac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: San Diego
Sheet!

Great, now an even SMALLER screen to deal with. UGH!

But I am waiting for are (and it may take several years) the google glasses. I like the concept.
My only concern there is the 'dweeb' factor that buried the Segway (sorry Woz, but its true).
elgrecomac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 06:24 AM   #310
jca666us
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
I didn't think it was the dweeb factor, but the malfunctioning Segway that drove the guy over the cliff that buried Segway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgrecomac View Post
Great, now an even SMALLER screen to deal with. UGH!

But I am waiting for are (and it may take several years) the google glasses. I like the concept.
My only concern there is the 'dweeb' factor that buried the Segway (sorry Woz, but its true).
jca666us is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 08:26 AM   #311
franswa za
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: south africa
i'm so cut up about this announcement, i can see many court cases against AAPL about slashed wrists........
__________________
2 much apple, 2 few aapl...... sent from my iWhatever
franswa za is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 08:59 AM   #312
Tomacorno
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobsian View Post
Plot twist: it's concave!
Allowing you to taste the iFood which is coming soon!
Tomacorno is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 09:06 AM   #313
frojive
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by mouser45 View Post
Am I the only one who thinks the whole smart-watch thing is a gimmick?
Depends on how the end user wants to use it. Can it be a gimmick for most? Yeah maybe not very useful. Then again do people really need PADs, or has the laptop for the average user become a gimmick?

I backed pebble because I can get use from it. While I am on my kayak I will now be able to keep my phone in dry storage and safe from harm, but still be connected. I will also be able to change my music track through my pebble and use of Bluetooth headphones.

If they made an elegant smart watch it would help ladies who keep their phones in purses. My wife is always missing my text and or calls. Sometimes they can be very urgent and needs a quick response.

Again it is all how you plan to use it.
frojive is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 09:16 AM   #314
bluedevils
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Sorry, if this was already mentioned, but I only read the first couple of pages. I see people mention about their existing watches. Who says you have to wear this device on the same arm? If it functions much more than a watch and thin and small, I could imagine having it on my right wrist.
bluedevils is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 10:12 AM   #315
TouchMint.com
macrumors 6502a
 
TouchMint.com's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Phoenix
I figure this is why they changed the nano. this way people would need a diff device for a watch.
__________________
TouchMint.com is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 08:54 AM   #316
nickgri
macrumors member
 
Join Date: May 2011
watch phone

Some cool designs-I say just let it flip open to be big enough to be practical-it would almost be the size of the iphone today with less bezels top and bottom.
If necessary add a line of shoes to insert more phone capabilities-and/or a belt that has a buckle for that.
nickgri is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 02:13 AM   #317
Xiroteus
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by osaga View Post
If they do it, it should come with a huge disclosure on the box "This is not meant to be like the iphone or the ipad, it will not change your life, it is an accessory."
Almost, not everything has to be the most amazing device ever, just something useful to whoever wants it.
Xiroteus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 05:23 PM   #318
boss1
macrumors 6502a
 
boss1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by sulpfiction View Post
I'll hang on to this post so you can eat it later. A smart watch is coming in the not so distant future from Apple. And its going to be a massive. So massive that you will even wake up at 3am to pre-order it. Just wait and see.
That's a bet! on Jan 01, 2014 ... the loser has to change their sig for a year to the following: "I thought I knew about a 2013 forthcoming iWatch and I was wrong!... I lost a bet and now have to wear this embarrassing sig"

Deal?
boss1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 09:44 PM   #319
sulpfiction
macrumors 68020
 
sulpfiction's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Philadelphia Area
Quote:
Originally Posted by boss1 View Post
That's a bet! on Jan 01, 2014 ... the loser has to change their sig for a year to the following: "I thought I knew about a 2013 forthcoming iWatch and I was wrong!... I lost a bet and now have to wear this embarrassing sig"

Deal?
I'm in! And I'll proudly wear my sig should I be wrong.
sulpfiction is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2013, 02:23 AM   #320
Mitochris
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Iwatch not coming

I might be wrong, but I don't think this will ever happen.
All major apple products are stand-alone products. The iPhone, the iPad the laptops, even the appleTV; all can be used as stand-alone products. They work well together, and that is the main reason I have them, but it would be enough to have one of them. Not so with an iwatch. As a stand-alone item it would be rather useless, besides showing the time, it might work with wifi, but once you're out and about, you would need a SIM card in it to have all the features we expect from an idevice. Connecting earphones to it wont be very convenient. So there had to be a phone with it, and then it is just an accessory. I don't think apple is going to invest so much into an accessory. Also, I would hate having to charge my iPhone and iwatch every evening, or even just having to take it off all the time.
In my opinion, iglasses would be more useful in the future, because i can see them being a stand-alone item at some point, but they are not there yet.
Mitochris is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2013, 02:49 AM   #321
APlotdevice
macrumors 68020
 
APlotdevice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitochris View Post
I might be wrong, but I don't think this will ever happen.
All major apple products are stand-alone products. The iPhone, the iPad the laptops, even the appleTV; all can be used as stand-alone products. They work well together, and that is the main reason I have them, but it would be enough to have one of them. Not so with an iwatch. As a stand-alone item it would be rather useless, besides showing the time, it might work with wifi, but once you're out and about, you would need a SIM card in it to have all the features we expect from an idevice. Connecting earphones to it wont be very convenient. So there had to be a phone with it, and then it is just an accessory. I don't think apple is going to invest so much into an accessory. Also, I would hate having to charge my iPhone and iwatch every evening, or even just having to take it off all the time.
In my opinion, iglasses would be more useful in the future, because i can see them being a stand-alone item at some point, but they are not there yet.
What about all the iPods aside from the touch? These need to be connected to a computer in order to get any sort of media onto them, and are therefor not really stand-alone devices.

Also Apple does produce the iPod touch and WiFi only version of the iPad, meaning that SIM cards are not universal even in iOS devices.
__________________
iPhone 5c - 11" Macbook Air '13 - TV - iPod touch 4 - HTPC - Numerous Consoles
There is something deeply wrong with a society more offended by breasts than by entrails.

Last edited by APlotdevice; Feb 16, 2013 at 03:00 AM.
APlotdevice is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2013, 03:28 AM   #322
Mitochris
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by APlotdevice View Post
What about all the iPods aside from the touch? These need to be connected to a computer in order to get any sort of media onto them, and are therefor not really stand-alone devices.

Also Apple does produce the iPod touch and WiFi only version of the iPad, meaning that SIM cards are not universal even in iOS devices.
iPods are standalone as soon as they are "loaded" with music. You don't need anything else, once there is music on. My girlfrined's nano hasn't seen a computer in a couple of years.
The iPod touch and iPads are wifi, yes,but their main purpose isn't to relay txt merges or email or pull info out of the web on the go. There are a lot more things to do with the touch and iPads. You won't play games or watch films with your iwatch, using one hand.
Mitochris is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2013, 05:42 AM   #323
APlotdevice
macrumors 68020
 
APlotdevice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitochris View Post
iPods are standalone as soon as they are "loaded" with music. You don't need anything else, once there is music on. My girlfrined's nano hasn't seen a computer in a couple of years.
The iPod touch and iPads are wifi, yes,but their main purpose isn't to relay txt merges or email or pull info out of the web on the go. There are a lot more things to do with the touch and iPads. You won't play games or watch films with your iwatch, using one hand.
Okay, then here are some things that are definitively in the accessory category that Apple still invested quite a bit of time and money into developing: magic mouse, magic trackpad, EarPods.
__________________
iPhone 5c - 11" Macbook Air '13 - TV - iPod touch 4 - HTPC - Numerous Consoles
There is something deeply wrong with a society more offended by breasts than by entrails.
APlotdevice is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2013, 06:06 AM   #324
Mitochris
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by APlotdevice View Post
Okay, then here are some things that are definitively in the accessory category that Apple still invested quite a bit of time and money into developing: magic mouse, magic trackpad, EarPods.
Ok, but I don't think we can argue that the mighty mouse or earpods were the "the next big thing" the world was waiting for. :-)
we can hope and see what they come up with. I just don't think it's a watch as a new category-defining gadget.
Mitochris is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2013, 11:48 AM   #325
benthewraith
macrumors 68030
 
benthewraith's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Tampa, FL
Send a message via AIM to benthewraith Send a message via MSN to benthewraith
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkersten View Post
I can't wait til people who say they would never use an Apple Smartwatch buy one and realize how useful it is, like with every Apple product released
No offense, but, Apple's product offering hasn't always been perfect.
benthewraith is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:46 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC