Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Nick Bilton reports for The New York Times that Apple is "experimenting" with smart watches made of curved glass, "according to people familiar with the company's explorations". The article notes that Corning -- the company behind the iPhone's Gorilla Glass -- has developed a bendable glass called Willow Glass that could potentially be used in a wristwatch type device that curves with the wearer's wrist.

pebblewatch.jpg
Smart watches have been a topic of conversation in recent weeks, with the Pebble watch shipping last month, and a number of rumors regarding Apple working on a smart watch for possible launch later in 2013.
In its headquarters in Cupertino, Calif., Apple is experimenting with wristwatch-like devices made of curved glass, according to people familiar with the company's explorations, who spoke on the condition that they not be named because they are not allowed to publicly discuss unreleased products. Such a watch would operate Apple's iOS platform, two people said, and stand apart from competitors based on the company's understanding of how such glass can curve around the human body.
In court filings between Apple and Samsung, we learned that Apple wanted to use curved glass designs in the original iPhone but the technology available at the time wasn't sufficiently advanced. With the recent advances at Corning however, it appears that Apple's curved glass ambitions could soon be coming to fruition.

Wearable fitness-focused devices were popular at CES this year, with devices like the Jawbone UP and Nike FuelBand leading the way.

Apple CEO Tim Cook is a Nike board member and spoke about his Nike FuelBand at the D10 Conference last year, but demurred about Apple's plans. He did say that wearable devices were "an interesting area", though "the book hasn't been written on that yet."

Article Link: NYT: Apple is Working on a Curved Glass Smart Watch

dkersten

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2010
I can't wait til people who say they would never use an Apple Smartwatch buy one and realize how useful it is, like with every Apple product released

sfrancis928

macrumors member
May 31, 2012
I guess this could be another one of Apple's "hobby" products. Not much wide appeal but great for whoever likes that kind of thing.

weing

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2007
Call me crazy ,but I think getting young people to wear a watch-like item on their wrist other than as a short-lived fad is about as likely as getting them wanting to wear a bowler hat.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I'm sure there are lots of experiments happening in Ive's über-secret design lab. Doesn't mean they'll ever become products available for sale. I'd love to see what Apple could do in this space though.

lolkthxbai

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2011
I'm all in.
(I couldn't find a yao ming meme face that was a suitable size for my post without blowing it up so just pretend its here, ok?)

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
if it can act as a widget for apps
or use NFC chips for apps...

so many possibilities that can come with this device. bring it on apple!!

Tognazzini believes that via apps and design, Apple would revolutionize the smart watch industry, with its curved glass designs created by Jony Ive, Siri integration, and wireless charging.

I'm very excited with this thoughts.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Very nice ideal! I mean, who can go wrong...its a WATCH...watches will never die! A watch that can help control your iPhone, other home devices, etc., I'm definitely in!

Maddix

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2011
I wear a Swiss automatic quite often as jewelry. I'll pass on buying an Apple watch.

scrapple

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2004
Can i just get a "Watchband" concept that attaches or works on a watchband? All i want is to have the option of my iphone only working when the sensor is in the vicinity. So theft of iphones would be useless... unless someone steals your watch as well...

Plus I want to wear my Tag watch, not a gimmick iwatch...

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Nov 17, 2012
PA
"understanding of how such glass can curve around the human body."

So, how a phone curves around your leg in your pocket? :confused::eek:

elppa

macrumors 68040
Nov 26, 2003
Samsung is presumably also now working on a smart watch.

Sony has already made one. I think it is fairly logical step.

dma550

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2009
CT
I like the idea, but I need a clean thin implementation. I like the idea of being able to change watch faces easily, and having some simple notification of texts/emails/calls is very cool.

cire

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2007
Or as a wearable remote to my appletv or computer or ipad? A single notification center? Or how about it having LTE and serving a a hotspot for all my devices?

a watch as a keeper of time, makes no sense...but this could be another apple disruption. I'm interested!

tann

macrumors 68000
Apr 15, 2010
UK
So is this why they bought all of those glass cutting machines way back when? :s

DTphonehome

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2003
NYC
I'm sure there are lots of experiments happening in Ive's über-secret design lab. Doesn't mean they'll ever become products available for sale. I'd love to see what Apple could do in this space though.

Exactly what I was going to say.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.