Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Video

Old Feb 10, 2013, 02:17 PM   #1
Cox Orange
macrumors 65816

iMovie 6 skips beginning and end?

Hi,

I noticed that both iMovie3 and HD5 do show me the whole movie in the cropping bar. But when I do it in iMovieHD6 with the same movie the bars can only be moved to some certain point (look at picture) and if I let it play it will not play the end of the last clip, though the total time of the movie as well as the clip is displayed the same length.

see pictures. (I did not snapshot the preview window area itself, but if I move the "arrow" to the end I will also see a different end picture in 5 vs 6.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	imovie5.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	395963   Click image for larger version

Name:	imovie6 1.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	395964  
Cox Orange is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 04:04 PM   #2
daybreak
macrumors 6502a

Looking from your pictures the right hand side has the cropping tool in use. Both edges at beginning and end are blue which is telling iMovie only to play the yellow part.
I may be incorrect as i have not used iMovie for a while. At present i have iMovie11 as a software.
daybreak is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 08:51 PM   #3
Cox Orange
macrumors 65816

Thanks for trying to help, but what does that mean "cropping tool"? If I want to crop I place the slider where I want it and press "cut on position" (or what it is called in english), but the slider can't be moved further into the blue part. That is the problem!
Old Apr 6, 2013, 06:27 PM   #4
Jessica Lares
macrumors 604

I found this for you:
http://academics.hamilton.edu/medias...Movie6-MAC.pdf

Quote:
Cropping a Video Clip - Cropping is used to remove parts of a clip from outside a selected range and is usually used to remove the beginning and ending and keep the middle part of a clip.
1. To crop a video clip, begin by selecting a clip from the Timeline Viewer or the Clip Viewer.
2. Once the clip has loaded into the iMovie monitor, drag the crop markers to the places where you want your new clip to begin and end. All parts outside of these crop markers will be deleted.
3. Go to the Edit menu and select Crop.

NOTE: To move a crop marker one frame at a time, click the marker and press the <LEFT ARROW> or <RIGHT ARROW> keys. To move the marker in 10-frame increments, click the marker and hold down the <SHIFT> key while pressing either of the arrow keys.
Try that. ^
Old Apr 7, 2013, 11:00 AM   #5
Cox Orange
macrumors 65816

Thank you very much! But you do not understadn the problem.

I know about cropping and I DO NOT WANT TO CROP ANYTHING!!!

I want to just set the marker at the beginning and at the end, to be able to view the whole content. As it is now, the Movie starts not at time 0, but something later.
I can not push the marker left to the 0 position!!! I also did not crop anything before.

I just opened the file I recorded with iMovie 5 in iMovie 6 and iMovie 6 decides to think that the beginnign of the movie is not at 0second, but somewhere later AND that the end is not after the fade out and all credits, but somewhere before the fade out.

Yes, I did select all footage I want to play, so that is not the reason!
Old Apr 7, 2013, 12:06 PM   #6
daybreak
macrumors 6502a

Have you got two version in your picture? 5 and 6?
Old Apr 7, 2013, 01:48 PM   #7
Cox Orange
macrumors 65816

Yes, I thought one can read that from post 1, but you have to excuse my bad English, I am European and so the word order and grammar might be misleading.
Old Apr 7, 2013, 05:00 PM   #8
Dave Braine
macrumors 68020

Cox Orange, I do not think that you have a problem. I have a video, when I play it in Quicktime, you can see that it is 33 seconds long:

Here it is in iMovie6HD, with another clip, and you can see the Crop Markers.

You can see that the time counter is at Zero in the Timeline and at the Crop Marker. In the Timeline, you can see that the Playhead is at the beginning of the Clip.

Here you can see the Playhead is at the end of the Clip. The time is 33 seconds in the Timeline and at the Clip Marker.

Here you can see the Playhead at the start of the second clip. The time is the same in the Timeline and at the Crop Marker.

Here, you can see the Playhead at the end of the second clip. You can see that the time at the Playhead which you can see is at the end of the second clip, is the same as the time at the Crop Marker.

Here you can see the Playhead at the end of the second Clip without use the Crop Markers. The times are still the same

Finally, you can see that this time is the same time as the total Project, apart from 0.01 seconds:

You are not missing any of your video.
Old Apr 7, 2013, 06:50 PM   #9
daybreak
macrumors 6502a

Dave a very good solid explanation. I hope our friend understands this.
Old Apr 8, 2013, 03:57 PM   #10
Cox Orange
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Braine View Post
Cox Orange, I do not think that you have a problem. (...) ->skipped for convenience.
Thank you very much. though it wouldn't have needed that detailed explanation with that much pictures.

I did try it again with another video (captured with iMovie5) and it is like you said. Unfortunately I do not have the one, that I have the problems with at hand, have to dig through my HDDs, it was captured with iMovie3, so maybe that is the reason, but I remember clearly that I could not scroll to the names of the actors at the end. But its ok for now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by daybreak View Post
Dave a very good solid explanation. I hope our friend understands this.
Thank you, I know I am stupid. Very nice of you. It was not me, not understanding and making this a long thread. It was the other posters that kept thinking I wanted to know how to crop something. Dave understood that I was talking about playing from time 0 and the last seconds.
Old Apr 8, 2013, 06:17 PM   #11
daybreak
macrumors 6502a

Not being funny but you will be surprise that your problem will help some other person.
That is what all good forums are about.
Old Apr 8, 2013, 08:20 PM   #12
Dave Braine
macrumors 68020

Quote:
though it wouldn't have needed that detailed explanation with that much pictures.
That's OK. It was you saying that English was not your first language, so I was trying to make it easy to understand.
Old Apr 9, 2013, 05:50 AM   #13
daybreak
macrumors 6502a

Hi CoxOrange, I just like to point out one thing. Dont put yourself down and say you are stupid. At times it is difficult to explain a problem. Put the most important factor is to have the information... What version one is working with.
Old Apr 12, 2013, 08:20 PM   #14
Cox Orange
macrumors 65816

I found the answer to my problem.

Case A:
- captured in iMovie3
- open in iMovieHD-6: put the clips in the bottom time line. playing the last clip to the end is not possible. Now, I elect just the one last clip, same result. Now I put that back to the scrap area and here I can play it till the end. As soon as I put the last clip in the bottom time line, it will not be played till the end again.

Case B:
- captured in iMovieHD-5
- open in iMovieHD-6: no problem

Case A is, why I had the problem, when I initially posted. Case B ist, why I did not have the problem trying it again, after Dave showing me he had no problems.

So, not to make a generalisation, one could say, material from iMovie3 makes problems under iMovieHD-6 (by the way the iM-3 stuff is perfectly playable in iM-HD-5).

@ Dave Braine
I meant it was so much work for you, you wouldn't have had to do it in that detail, because it was so much work, but I am thankful for your answer.

@ daybreak
Me, calling myself stupid was an answer to your "I hope our friend understands this", as if you were saying "he must be so stupid, not even understanding how to use iMovie, let's hope he understands this very detailed descrition". I think I got you wrong and you meant it all good just saying "I don't know how limited his English is, I hope he understands this".

Well, I said I was using iMovie3, iMovieHD-5 and 6 in post 1 and that the pictures are 5 vs 6. - and that I do not want to crop something, but play, in post #3

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Video