Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

davewill2010

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 10, 2013
Hi All,

Just today purchased off ebay (waiting for it to arrive) a 12" ibook G4 with a 1.33gh processor and 1gb RAM running Leopard. Never owned anything Apple before so have a few questions:

1. Any OS upgrade options?
2. RAM upgrade options?
3. Can the hard drive be upgraded for more space?
4. Looking at getting an Apple Time Capsule for backups, will this work with it?

Ummmm anything I need to know? Will basically be used for surfing and email.

Thanks in advance guys!

varunsanthanam

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2007
California
Hi All,

Just today purchased off ebay (waiting for it to arrive) a 12" ibook G4 with a 1.33gh processor and 1gb RAM running Leopard. Never owned anything Apple before so have a few questions:

2. RAM upgrade options?
4. Looking at getting an Apple Time Capsule for backups, will this work with it?

Thanks in advance guys!

1.) Nope. OS X Leopard (10.5) was the last version of OS X to support Power PC chips.
2.) That Mac has some ram soldered to the motherboard, as well as 1 ram slot under the keyboard. It accepts DDR1 ram clocked at 667MHz
3.) Yes
4.) Yes

davewill2010

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 10, 2013
2. What is maximum amount?
3. Is there a limit to what capacity and what type of drive would I need please?

PS guessing this mac doesnt have bluetooth right?

Nov 28, 2010
located
3. Is there a limit to what capacity and what type of drive would I need please?

1.5 GB and no limit, but you need a drive like these.

As for Bluetooth, check :apple: > About This Mac > More Info ... > Hardware > Bluetooth, as my 12" 1GHz iBook had BT, though I had to buy a special model, but you can upgrade your iBook with a BT module, if you really need one.

RedCroissant

Suspended
Aug 13, 2011

2. 1.5 GB
3. It's an ATA drive and there are a few possibilities. Go to www.macsales.com for some ideas. there are 5400rpm drives, 7200rpm drives, and OWC even has sone Legacy SSD options(although they are considerably more expensive).

***EDIT***

SIM! You beat me to the answer by seconds!

skateny

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2012
New York, NY

Your iBook shipped with BlueTooth. The last version of Leopard is 10.5.8.

Go to the :apple: in the upper left of the display and select "About This Mac." Then select "More Info..." You'll see data about hardware and software.

ppcfanforever1

macrumors regular
Dec 31, 2012
Pennsylvania
Hi All,

2. RAM upgrade options?

Thanks in advance guys!

When you get the mac and go to about this mac post the specifications and we could help you a little bit more on these questions. Is this your first mac? If so congratz :D

Nov 28, 2010
located
When you get the mac and go to about this mac post the specifications and we could help you a little bit more on these questions. Is this your first mac? If so congratz :D

The OP already gave most of the relevant information, screen size and CPU speed give us the correct model, thus the already existing replies, which answered the OP's questions.

Hmm, are you a ....... maybe?

Nov 28, 2010
located
There were different models of the 12" so Im asking just incase. And am I a what?

There was only one 12" and one 14" 1.33 GHz iBook, and the OP has the 12" model, thus that iBook can accept 256 MB more RAM than the 14" iBook with the same CPU frequency.

And as I read your post, you reminded me of some spamming tactics, but looking at your post history, I realised, I was mistaken.

ppcfanforever1

macrumors regular
Dec 31, 2012
Pennsylvania
There was only one 12" and one 14" 1.33 GHz iBook, and the OP has the 12" model, thus that iBook can accept 256 MB more RAM than the 14" iBook with the same CPU frequency.

And as I read your post, you reminded me of some spamming tactics, but looking at your post history, I realised, I was mistaken.

I feel so dumb, Im terribly sorry I thought he said he had a powerbook g4 12" my bad. Ok so yeah excuse my previous posts. And no Im not spamming lol :p

Nov 28, 2010
located
I feel so dumb, Im terribly sorry I thought he said he had a powerbook g4 12" my bad. Ok so yeah excuse my previous posts. And no Im not spamming lol :p

No need to feel sorry, this is just a message board and it is an acceptable mistake (hell, look at some of my past posts what ridiculous posts I made - though due to so much posts of mine, finding them will be a bot tricky, as I bury them quite deep).

And I know you are not a spammer, but sometimes spammers use that tactic to post repeating questions that have already been asked or answered.

Have fun with the thermal paste and your TiBook. And only apply it to the CPU, not anywhere else. And go here.

ppcfanforever1

macrumors regular
Dec 31, 2012
Pennsylvania
No need to feel sorry, this is just a message board and it is an acceptable mistake (hell, look at some of my past posts what ridiculous posts I made - though due to so much posts of mine, finding them will be a bot tricky, as I bury them quite deep).

And I know you are not a spammer, but sometimes spammers use that tactic to post repeating questions that have already been asked or answered.

Have fun with the thermal paste and your TiBook. And only apply it to the CPU, not anywhere else. And go here.

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here
Hi All,

2. RAM upgrade options?

Thanks in advance guys!

Why did you buy it?

davewill2010

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 10, 2013
I bought it because after over 25 years of working with PCs I had never even touched a Mac until last week when a customer asked me to do some work on his and I enjoyed so much the non windoze interface that I decided to get myself a cheap one to see if the bug bites! Waiting somewhat patiently for City-Link to deliver it later today but already looking at other Macs as well LOL!

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here
I bought it because after over 25 years of working with PCs I had never even touched a Mac until last week when a customer asked me to do some work on his and I enjoyed so much the non windoze interface that I decided to get myself a cheap one to see if the bug bites! Waiting somewhat patiently for City-Link to deliver it later today but already looking at other Macs as well LOL!

Then you bought the wrong computer. You'll be a minimum of three generations behind in OSX, none of the parts are the same PowerPC to intel you really won't "learn" anything. It's a neat and fun computer made back when it was Apple Computer Inc. but nothing more. It's like me buying a P3/4 with either windows 2000 or XP to find out about Windows. In two months I'll hate it because it will run very little and won't run it well.

davewill2010

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 10, 2013
I don't see why it is the WRONG computer, I plan to use it for getting used to OS X and for basic e-mail and web browsing and nothing more. If I enjoy it then I will get a more recent one but didn't see the point in outlaying a ton of cash if I end up not using it very much.

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here
I don't see why it is the WRONG computer, I plan to use it for getting used to OS X and for basic e-mail and web browsing and nothing more. If I enjoy it then I will get a more recent one but didn't see the point in outlaying a ton of cash if I end up not using it very much.

I agree..though you'll find out

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.