Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion

Old Feb 10, 2013, 07:28 PM   #1
andreydzung
macrumors newbie

Buying a car or not?

Hi all, I have saved up some money (10k) and thinking of what to do with that. Here is my situation: I live in Chicago suburbs, with good public transporation. My roommate also has a car and we use that one for groceries. But it's not a good thing to borrow his car since insurance/personal problem. Also my workplace is walkable from home.

1) Buy a used car: Go out of town sometimes, and network with people (this is especially beneficial as most of the time now I just work, and stay at home/do grocery in weekends) Chicago has a lot of cool places not reachable by public transporation or will be very time consuming (1-2 hours one way). And driving itself is so relaxing.

2) Not buying it: Use Zipcar or car rental, but rightnow I'm not eligible for Zipcar yet due to 1 year driving history requirement. Probably I'll use the money to invest then, but it'll be all work for me then ..
andreydzung is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 07:05 AM   #2
eric/

Probably don't need a car. It's a huge hassle anyway. Gotta pay for gas, insurance, etc...
eric/ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 07:11 AM   #3
ChristianJapan
macrumors Demi-God

Rental sound like a good idea until car sharing is possible .. If you not really use it daily its quite waste of money.
Member of MacRumors.com Folding@Home Team (#3446) & developer of the F@H Mobile Monitoring app.
ChristianJapan is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 07:53 AM   #4
maflynn

I'd say that you really don't need a car though it would be a nice to have and may provide some benefits.

I'd look more to the zip car for any usage needs and save your money.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 08:08 AM   #5
eric/

Quote:
Originally Posted by maflynn View Post
I'd say that you really don't need a car though it would be a nice to have and may provide some benefits.

I'd look more to the zip car for any usage needs and save your money.
Yup, invest that $10,000 instead in an IRA
eric/ is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 11:00 AM   #6
prostuff1
macrumors 65816

If the room mate would be up for it just have him/her add you to there insurance policy. Offer to pay the difference (or the entire year of insurance depending on how much it is) and put gas in the car every one in a while.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 11:07 AM   #7
Kissaragi
macrumors 68020

Buying the car is the cheap bit. Insurance, tax, petrol, repairs, service etc are the bits that really add up.
Kissaragi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 11:18 AM   #8
mobilehaathi
macrumors 601

You have good public transport...no need to buy a car!
Old Feb 11, 2013, 02:30 PM   #9
whosnut
macrumors newbie

I wish I lived somewhere that I didn't have to use a car to get everywhere. With a car, you have to think about: insurance, maintenance, parking, fuel expense. I just replaced my front axle and now I need new brakes. I swear, even keeping up with the service schedule, something new always pops up that needs to be repaired.
whosnut is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 02:53 PM   #10
stonyc
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to stonyc
No car.

Just wait until you can qualify for ZipCar for when you really do need a car.
stonyc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 11:44 PM   #11
malman89
macrumors 68000

Chicago (and you suburbanites ) have some of the best public transit in the U.S., so just stick to it.

ZipCar and the other near identical Chicago service (blanking on the name) are the easiest things ever. Just wait for it.

Sometimes living in a commuter area I do miss my U-Pass or CTA Plus Card
malman89 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 11:50 PM   #12
wordoflife
macrumors 604

Cars itself aren't that bad, but insurance, petrol, maintenance all add up. I'd probably avoid getting one unless you really felt that you needed it.
wordoflife is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 09:27 AM   #13
ucfgrad93
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by malman89 View Post
Chicago (and you suburbanites ) have some of the best public transit in the U.S., so just stick to it.

ZipCar and the other near identical Chicago service (blanking on the name) are the easiest things ever. Just wait for it.

Sometimes living in a commuter area I do miss my U-Pass or CTA Plus Card
Agreed, if I was you I wouldn't buy a car.
ucfgrad93 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 11:52 AM   #14
Synchromesh
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to Synchromesh
If you can live without it then go for it. Having a car is only worth it if you use it enough.

As for me, I moved out of Boston to the suburbs so I could drive. I love the car, hate public transportation with a passion. Every time I take it in Boston I want to barf. Luckily this happens 1-2 times a year so it's survivable.
Synchromesh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 09:33 PM   #15
malman89
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by wordoflife View Post
Cars itself aren't that bad, but insurance, petrol, maintenance all add up. I'd probably avoid getting one unless you really felt that you needed it.
Can't believe I forgot the incredible chance (50%+) that your car will get hit in Chicago - even if you just leave it parked! Some idiot is going to run into the front, back, or side of you, or some act of fate will scratch/dent/mess up your car if you don't have private parking.
malman89 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 05:56 AM   #16
glocke12
Banned

Do not buy a car, it really doesn't sound like you need one.

Seriously...It is a HUGE expense. Insurance, gas, maintenance, and not too mention since you live in the city parking may be an issue for you.

Take that money, stash it away and forget about it.
glocke12 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 03:27 PM   #17
Zombie Acorn
macrumors 65816

Been riding public transit for the past 2 years, its really not been bad at all even though my journey to work is almost an hour. I save a lot of money and I catch up on my reading daily.

Id vote for staying on public transit and save your money.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 12:11 PM   #18
Micky Do
macrumors 6502a

Why not get a small motorcycle?

It might not be the solution for everyone, but it has worked for me.

Since I left school 40 years ago I have owned a small (sub 350cc) practical motorcycle for all but about three years (a total of eight motorcycles, of which I still own two; one here in Thailand and one in NZ). I have owned cars off and on for about five of the same years......

In the past nine years I have rented a car on just 3 occasions, and borrowed my sister's once.

My day to day ride, within a 10 - 12 radius of home, is a sturdy bicycle with a carrier and a basket. Public transport where I live is abysmal.

All vehicles I have owned were second hand, paid for in cash with none costing more than $US 1,200.

I reckon that there are better things to do with money than buying an "asset" that devalues quickly, and costs a heap to simply own, and a whole lot more to run. Use the alternatives, and rent when you need to.

On the other hand, if you do have the disposable income to spare, go ahead and buy a car.
Micky Do is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2013, 12:24 PM   #19
Mac'nCheese
macrumors 68020

Do not buy a used car. Save up more money, make sure you earn enough for insurance and buy a nice, inexpensive new car. It will probably last forever if you are only using it for smaller trips, weekend stuff and still walk to work. Or go with a scooter if the weather is good enough for most of the year and you have a garage to store it in. I had one. They are a lot of fun and cheap to fill up with gas.
Mac'nCheese is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2013, 12:48 PM   #20
Micky Do
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac'nCheese View Post
Do not buy a used car.
Why not?

Every vehicle I have ever owned has been used - 8 motorcycles (two still owned; two running well when stolen) and 4 cars since the mid '70s - No problems.
Micky Do is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2013, 12:49 PM   #21
Mac'nCheese
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micky Do View Post
Why not?

Every vehicle I have ever owned has been used - 8 motorcycles (two still owned; two running well when stolen) and 4 cars since the mid '70s - No problems.
UNless you know enough about cars to make sure you're getting a good deal, its too risky.
Mac'nCheese is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion