Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch

Old Feb 10, 2013, 06:33 PM   #1
zuckuss00
macrumors member

Updating iPod touch 1G to iOS 5.1

I have a 1st Gen iPod touch that I use for music in my car. I'd like to upgrade the iOS to at least 5.1 so I can stream Podcasts over WiFi. Is there any way I can upgrade this iPod to a newer iOS? I'm currently running iOS 2.2.1 and Apple shows no update available...

Thanks!
"OtterBox is like sending your kid to school with a helmet."
zuckuss00 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 07:10 PM   #2
DerekRod
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuckuss00 View Post
I have a 1st Gen iPod touch that I use for music in my car. I'd like to upgrade the iOS to at least 5.1 so I can stream Podcasts over WiFi. Is there any way I can upgrade this iPod to a newer iOS? I'm currently running iOS 2.2.1 and Apple shows no update available...

Thanks!
No it goes up to 3.1.3 and it barely runs that theres no way that it could handle iOS 5 you could jailbreak and trick the app store into thinking you have iOS 5 but again I would advise against that as well
Old Feb 10, 2013, 07:29 PM   #3
wordoflife
macrumors 604

The highest you can go is 3,1,3
wordoflife is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 11:29 PM   #4
Kallen
macrumors newbie

Quote:

Thanks!
I have an old 1G that is still very usable. Take a look at this: http://whited00r.com/

I disagree with the previous poster that the 1G can't run 3.1.3 very well. In my experience, it runs great. But it's also very limited by iOS5 & iOS6 standards. Whited00r is a custom firmware that runs 3.1.3 but operates likes 6.0, and it does so very smoothly on my 1G. It's pre-jailbroken, so you have the usual AppStore, Cydia, and one called Time Machine. TimeMachine is an ApPStore that has tons of older AppStore titles that were made for the 3.x firmwares, so you still have access to a ton of apps.. The onyl real limitation to this is you still won't have multi-tasking like a new device, nor will most current app versions (because they are now made for 6.x and higher).
Kallen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 11:39 PM   #5
Peter K.
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kallen View Post
I have an old 1G that is still very usable. Take a look at this: http://whited00r.com/

I disagree with the previous poster that the 1G can't run 3.1.3 very well. In my experience, it runs great. But it's also very limited by iOS5 & iOS6 standards. Whited00r is a custom firmware that runs 3.1.3 but operates likes 6.0, and it does so very smoothly on my 1G. It's pre-jailbroken, so you have the usual AppStore, Cydia, and one called Time Machine. TimeMachine is an ApPStore that has tons of older AppStore titles that were made for the 3.x firmwares, so you still have access to a ton of apps.. The onyl real limitation to this is you still won't have multi-tasking like a new device, nor will most current app versions (because they are now made for 6.x and higher).
Is Time Machine new? I loaded my 1G with whited00r a few months ago, but was dismayed by how few apps were available; I couldn't find the older versions to run on 3.1.3 and I don't remember a Time Machine, only App Store and Cydia.

Thanks.
Peter K. is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 12:53 AM   #6
Kallen
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter K. View Post
Is Time Machine new? I loaded my 1G with whited00r a few months ago, but was dismayed by how few apps were available; I couldn't find the older versions to run on 3.1.3 and I don't remember a Time Machine, only App Store and Cydia.

Thanks.
I've been running it about a months or so. There's a single "App Market" icon on the SB (uses the stock icon for the AppStore). When you open it, it's defaults to the AppStore. Swipe to the right you have TimeMachine and swipe again you have Cydia. I like it a lot.

They spent a lot of time and effort to make it look and act just like iOS6. Folders, wallpapers, etc. Side by side with my 4th gen, hard to tell the difference. Appearance wise.
Kallen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2013, 09:46 AM   #7
glsillygili
macrumors 6502

Quote:

Thanks!
i honestly hope your joking
glsillygili is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2013, 09:37 PM   #8
Joshuafreels75
macrumors newbie

I've been searching through the internete and people say it's posibale
Also my friend updated his 1g iPod to iOS 5.1
Joshuafreels75 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch