Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Feb 16, 2013, 10:42 PM   #1
Bankaimadness
macrumors 6502

For all the people that are using their Iphone 5 without a case..

How are your's holding up?

I was thinking of using mine without a case since I want to actually feel the quality of the materials used.
Bankaimadness is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2013, 10:53 PM   #2
3lite
macrumors 6502

Black iPhone 5.

Had it since last November.

Started using it without a case the start of this year. Still the same as day one and I don't baby it either. I don't keep it in the same pocket as my keys or slam it down on a counter or anything though.
3lite is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2013, 11:32 PM   #3
Bankaimadness
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3lite View Post
Black iPhone 5.

Had it since last November.

Started using it without a case the start of this year. Still the same as day one and I don't baby it either. I don't keep it in the same pocket as my keys or slam it down on a counter or anything though.
Wow nice!
Bankaimadness is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2013, 11:40 PM   #4
katai
macrumors regular

I switch from case to no case and prefer no case. Love how the thinness of the phone fits in my hand. Having a case on adds weight and isn't stable using one hand. Makes me use two hands often especially trying to reach other side of screen with thumb. Dropped once but I'm not complaining. I got over it because its just a phone.
katai is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2013, 11:53 PM   #5
Bankaimadness
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by katai View Post
I switch from case to no case and prefer no case. Love how the thinness of the phone fits in my hand. Having a case on adds weight and isn't stable using one hand. Makes me use two hands often especially trying to reach other side of screen with thumb. Dropped once but I'm not complaining. I got over it because its just a phone.
Any marks or scratches when you dropped it?
Bankaimadness is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2013, 12:06 AM   #6
Kenjhee
macrumors regular

I've had a black iPhone 5 since October. No dents, nicks, or blemishes. It goes into a special pouch in a fanny pack when I go out. Still looks like new.
Kenjhee is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2013, 01:02 AM   #7
2IS
macrumors 68010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bankaimadness View Post
What would that prove, really? If he says no? It's made of aluminum and glass. It can/will scratch, ding, break when dropped against hard surfaces.

Don't use it naked because you think maybe it's indestructible, do it knowing that it's just as fragile as you suspect it might be and if it breaks or scratches, it's of little consequence to you.

Last edited by 2IS; Feb 17, 2013 at 12:27 PM.
2IS is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2013, 01:18 AM   #8
katai
macrumors regular

Quote:
Dropped on tile floor. There's two small dents on the back edge top and bottom corners. Doesn't bother me since I don't look at it.
katai is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2013, 01:38 AM   #9
Mxbzz
macrumors regular

I used mine without a case but had films on the front, back and sides. I had a few scuffs/scratches around the bezel but it didn't bother me too much.
Mxbzz is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2013, 07:35 AM   #10
iNotion
macrumors regular

ok. a little off topic here.
The reason why I use a case for my iPhone5 is If I accidentally drop my iPhone and got a small dent on my iPhone, my AppleCare will be gone with it.
don't feel worth risking that 'naked' feeling to killing off my AppleCare...
Old Feb 17, 2013, 08:39 AM   #11
Newtoiphone17
Banned

Quote:
How are your's holding up?

I was thinking of using mine without a case since I want to actually feel the quality of the materials used.
Put a case on it because it will scratch. Keys don't scratch screens the the bits of sand in you pocket that does. You are going to drop it one day because accidents do happen. The question is are you willing to live with a dented, cracked & scratched up iPhone you paid $650 for?
Newtoiphone17 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2013, 08:42 AM   #12
maxosx
macrumors 68020

My wonderful Mophie Juice Pack Helium finally arrived. Now I no longer have to be concerned with my iPhone 5's fragile finish.
maxosx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2013, 08:53 AM   #13
MacDawg
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newtoiphone17 View Post
Put a case on it because it will scratch. Keys don't scratch screens the the bits of sand in you pocket that does. You are going to drop it one day because accidents do happen. The question is are you willing to live with a dented, cracked & scratched up iPhone you paid $650 for?
My iPhone 5 is naked and not scratched at all
I have had a 3GS, a 4, a 4s and now the 5, and I have never dropped or scratched any of them

It is possible to take care of devices and not put them in a case
MacDawg is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2013, 09:06 AM   #14
Knowlege Bomb
macrumors 68040

Naked since day one. Phone slipped out of my pocket and down beside my seat in the car and came out with two pretty deep dents next to the power button. I was upset for all of 28 seconds then realized it's inevitable.

Besides, it adds character and could potentially be used to identify it should it get lost or stolen.
Knowlege Bomb is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2013, 09:09 AM   #15
rockyroad55
macrumors 68040

Naked. But when I'm going out to a club, maybe the air jacket. Just in case haha

I have dings on the bezel and screen is scratched but can only be seen in direct sunlight with the screen off.
rockyroad55 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2013, 09:16 AM   #16
Bswartz95
macrumors 6502

Naked since day 1 (White i5). No noticeable scratches or dents. I keep it in my front pocket by itself. If I lay it on a table, it's usually face down. I think the screen is much more durable and less likely to scratch than the aluminum back. So far, so good. If I drop it and put a big ding in it, then I'll use a case to cover it up.
Bswartz95 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2013, 09:17 AM   #17
divisionbuyzero
macrumors member

Fully naked (no screen protector), since launch day. No issues or scratches.
divisionbuyzero is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2013, 09:28 AM   #18
luminouslight
macrumors regular

Had it naked for about 3 months but it has a few nicks and dents on it now. I have the black iphone 5 so they are pretty noticeable. As much as I'd love to use it naked always I'm just too much of a clutz to do so.

I am now using the mophie helium case for the iphone 5 for a few days and I have to say I love it! It's not too incredibly bulky and I love the soft finish on it, and of course I can get an extra 75-80% charge whenever I need it. Very happy with it.
luminouslight is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2013, 10:42 AM   #19
Gutwrench
macrumors 6502a

Mine has been naked since release and it's in great shape. I use it extensively. I do sit it on a mouse pad at work and at home and never carry anything in the same pocket with it. I'm very satisfied with its durability.
Gutwrench is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2013, 02:11 PM   #20
jmmo20
macrumors 6502a

I've had a white iPhone 5 since early November and have never used a case. I hate them.

It's like new. The only thing that reveals its age is the screen, that's full of smudges. But otherwise like new.
jmmo20 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2013, 02:53 PM   #21
PantherCreek
macrumors regular

I've had a black one since day one and a white one since december, both are holding up without any noticeable damage at all. The wife drops her white one in her purse with everything else too...
Old Feb 17, 2013, 03:01 PM   #22
Bahroo
macrumors 6502a

I have a black i5 with a extremely thin and open case (case is like .2 mm thin) and my phone is spotlesss and flawless still to this day
Bahroo is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2013, 03:04 PM   #23
Sedrick
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxosx View Post
My wonderful Mophie Juice Pack Helium finally arrived. Now I no longer have to be concerned with my iPhone 5's fragile finish.
This one? Man, that makes the iPhone 5 about a foot long...

Old Feb 17, 2013, 04:45 PM   #24
Newtoiphone17
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDawg View Post
My iPhone 5 is naked and not scratched at all
I have had a 3GS, a 4, a 4s and now the 5, and I have never dropped or scratched any of them

It is possible to take care of devices and not put them in a case
Consider yourself lucky then. Because e I've seen many crazy after there iphone dropped on concert & cracked.
Newtoiphone17 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2013, 04:47 PM   #25
Brian Y
macrumors 68000

I use mine without a case and it's perfect, except one minor mark on the bottom edge which I caused by putting it down on my keys by accident.

A dab of sharpie, however, and it's as good as new. Even if you look close you can't see it (black sharpie is a perfect colour match for the beveled edge of the black one).
Brian Y is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone