Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Feb 11, 2013, 12:45 AM   #1
fatkdog
macrumors newbie

ATT iPad unlimited sim - LTE disabled?

So, here's the deal. I have an ATT ipad 3, with LTE. I also have two ipad data accounts. One is unlimited LTE, (as shown on my account settings page) the other is 2GB/$25 LTE, also from the settings page. I use the 2GB sometimes in an older ipad as navigation, but don't use it much and was going to cancel it, until....
January 26th...
The day AFTER AT&T started buying 700mhz B spectrum from Verizon. coincidence?
LTE stopped working on my iPad 3. Seemed weird, since it worked fine on my iPhone5. Waited several days, thought maybe an outage. Nope. Finally today I started searching online. And also, popped my 2GB sim into the ipad 3. My 2GB METERED sim, and.... immediately, LTE shows up. Swapped back and forth several times to confirm. Every time. unlimited sim gets no LTE, 2GB sim does. and full bars also. I'm in a fairly good coverage area with ul/dl generally over 10Mbps, and I've hit 20 before.

My question....
Who with an AT&T unlimited iPad sim is experiencing this also? Is it possible that AT&T has disabled LTE on ONLY it's unlimited iPad sims? Could that be because FCC rules force providers who use certain spectrum to allow sims that operate in that spectrum to be unrestricted from "device switching"? Is the spectrum that those rules apply to coincidentally the very same spectrum that AT&T purchased from Verizon for $1.9 billion, ONE DAY before my LTE got shut off? Is AT&T disabling LTE on unlimited iPad sims so that they don't have to follow the FCC rules? and to preemptively stop those users from putting the unlimited iPad sims into other devices?

AT&T's description of my plan is:
"Unlimited MB for 30 days - LTE"
I have a screen capture, of course for later reference.

Last edited by fatkdog; Feb 11, 2013 at 12:54 AM. Reason: wrong title
fatkdog is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 12:23 PM   #2
HazyCloud
macrumors 68030

Take a deep breath and give AT&T a call. They're the only ones that will be able to help you out here. I would be shocked if you losing LTE had anything to do with the FCC or Verizon.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 05:08 PM   #3
brand
macrumors 68040

The reason that you would not go directly to the people, AT&T, that could help you and instead go to a bunch of random people on a forum is beyond me.
brand is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 05:35 PM   #4
RevTEG
macrumors regular

My ipad 3 with grandfathered unlimited works just fine on LTE. Maybe changing your SIM cards around has messed up your plan that's connected to the iPads IMEI number?
RevTEG is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 09:31 AM   #5
mmecca
macrumors newbie

Same problem

Hi,

I'm having the same problem - when LTE is enabled on my unlimited ipad plan I have problems connecting it the network but only I the past few days. I thought it was because I had jail broken - and restored, but I think the restore would have eliminated the possibility of problems due to a jailbreak.

I'm in the Buffalo area FYI in case you are too and are having the problem still.
Any resolution yet? Did you contact AT&T?

Mark
mmecca is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad