Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Feb 17, 2013, 07:40 AM   #1
cabal2000
macrumors newbie

Question Purchase a AppleTV atv2

Good day People/
Looking to purchase a Appletv version 2. The only place that I can find them is on eBay but they are EXTREMELY expensive for what they are really worth. Anyone know a good seller or private sale that I can get one? I live in Newfoundland and unfortunate I am very limited to purchasing resources.

Much THX
cabal2000 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2013, 07:49 AM   #2
Spink10
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabal2000 View Post
Good day People/
Looking to purchase a Appletv version 2. The only place that I can find them is on eBay but they are EXTREMELY expensive for what they are really worth. Anyone know a good seller or private sale that I can get one? I live in Newfoundland and unfortunate I am very limited to purchasing resources.

Much THX
Though eBay prices are always high - they are easily worth more than retail. Unless you can score one from a forum or locally - eBay is your best bet.
Spink10 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2013, 07:51 AM   #3
Designed4Mac
macrumors regular

Quote:
Good day People/

Much THX
You'll be lucky. anyone who has goy one for sale will want stupid money for it purely because the ATV 3 cant be jailbroken. (YET) When/if a jailbreak is ever released for ATV3 they wont be worth anything.
Designed4Mac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2013, 08:36 AM   #4
cabal2000
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovememac View Post
You'll be lucky. anyone who has goy one for sale will want stupid money for it purely because the ATV 3 cant be jailbroken. (YET) When/if a jailbreak is ever released for ATV3 they wont be worth anything.
So should I just purchase atv3 and wait? Is there a good reliable site for Appletv jailbreaks?
cabal2000 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2013, 08:46 AM   #5
WoodNUFC
macrumors 6502

Quote:
So should I just purchase atv3 and wait? Is there a good reliable site for Appletv jailbreaks?
We've been waiting for nearly a year for the ATV3 to be jailbroken. To be honest, I'm not holding my breathe.

Unfortunately, if you need an ATV that is jailbroken, then you have to pay the premium.
WoodNUFC is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2013, 08:54 AM   #6
Designed4Mac
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodNUFC View Post
We've been waiting for nearly a year for the ATV3 to be jailbroken. To be honest, I'm not holding my breathe.

Unfortunately, if you need an ATV that is jailbroken, then you have to pay the premium.
As stated by WoodNUFC the ATV3 Jailbreak has been a long time coming and i dont think anyone knows for sure if one will ever be released. Thats not to say that it NEVER will be.
If your that desperate for a jailbroken ATV then you'll have to pay the ridiculous price that people are asking.
If you live in hope like the rest of us then then you'll just have to play the waiting game. (look how long the latest ios jailbreak has taken to be released)
Old Feb 17, 2013, 09:08 AM   #7
Designed4Mac
macrumors regular

Quote:
http://firecore.com or http://www.appletvhacks.net are the most reliable.

I wouldnt even attempt any of these fake jailbreaks that are floating about. If theres nothing mentioned on either of the above sites then you can be sure its fake.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 11:03 AM   #8
E.Lizardo
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Good day People/

Much THX
I love my ATV3 but I also have a Roku HD.It can do most of the things you would jailbreak an ATV for(like PLEX),so,even though its less convenient to have two boxen instead of one,you might look into it and see if it works for you.Plus the Roku comes with an RF motion control Wii style remote and Angry Birds

At the Roku site you can check out their list of hundreds of channels,and a Google search will yield an extensive list of "unofficial"channels.Honestly most of the channels are junk,but there are plenty of good ones too,kind of like the app store

Heck,you can also get a Raspberry Pi for $35 US and install XBMC on it for just a few bucks for peripherals.Google Raspberry Pi if you aren't familiar with it,it's awesome.

Of course I'm hoping the rumored update for the ATV will make all this unnecessary!

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater