Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sohaloh

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 10, 2012
London, Ontario
Hey guys,

I'm moving to canada next week and need a little help from you guys choosing a suitable carrier. I'll be living in oakville, with alot of to and fro to toronoto because ill be working at U of T for awhile.

I looked up major and minor carriers. So far I've come across Rodgers, Telus and Bell as the major ones. I also looked up smaller ones like mobilicity but they dont cover oakville. Basically im looking for something which has the best data package, unlimited would be really nice. And something with good coverage over canada. And obviously the cheaper the better. And lastly I have a factory unlocked 4S which i used abroad can I just keep using my phone and theyll give me a sim? Or will I have to get a phone with the contract too? And if they allow me to use my phone will I be eligible for upgrades and stuff like that?

Thanks in advance. Ill be looking forward to your opinions.

King Luis

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2008
we don't have unlimited up here. if there is it's crazy expensive.
telus is looking to have the best plan. i called the retentions/loyalty dept after a few weeks and went to a $65 6gb 200min unlimited text. that seems the best plan for data users.

bell and rogers own pretty much everything. fido and telus being the consumer 2 (fido going off rogers and telus going off bell networks). the rest of the carriers are using bell or rogers piggy back lines.

when you sign with a new plan, they'll give you a phone. haven't seen anyone not choose a new phone. in your case they might be able to offer you a plan at a discount since you already have a phone, just need to purchase a sim card.

good luck. bell and rogers like to screw everyone over. cheapest data + voice plan is around $50 and you don't get much. 100mb data i think.

dtbratt

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2011
Amherstburg, ON
I use Virgin Mobile Canada. They are a part of Bell and are both GSM, so your 4S will work no problem. I would explore the best plans between Koodo, Fido & Virgin Mobile. Its in your best interest to stay out of a contract here in Canada as you already have your unlocked 4S :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.