Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Feb 11, 2013, 11:19 AM   #51
CJM
macrumors 6502a

So this article is to debunk these rumours? I guess I can live with that.

Slow Monday..
CJM is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 11:22 AM   #52
PinoyAko
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouser45 View Post
read the ********** article

----------

Ah yes, would be a waste of space for an SSD in the iphone. Very astute.
I read it prior posting and a guy in the article says that it is fake. I just concurred with that guy.
PinoyAko is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 11:24 AM   #53
cgrugan
macrumors newbie

Solar?

I know it's been talked about and rumored a lot in the past and has never happened, but does that display screen appear to have solar cells?
Apple does hold a patent for a solar cell display.
cgrugan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 11:28 AM   #54
ScoobyMcDoo
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolspot18 View Post
Why not? It would provide iOS with a lot of storage for a low cost and make it easier to transfer files to the device.

What negative aspect is there of a SD card slot?
That's crazy talk. If we could add cheap storage to our iPhones, how could apple overcharge us for larger SSDs?
ScoobyMcDoo is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 11:31 AM   #55
pacalis
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbytallant View Post
I refuse to believe Apple will release a device with such a small digital display, and an extending measuring rod, as their next iteration of the iPhone.
I think you missed the point.

The new iPhone is a magical 0.00 mm in height.
pacalis is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 11:32 AM   #56
Radio
Banned

This is the common mans iPhone

Or low cost version
Radio is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 11:39 AM   #57
lsvtecjohn3
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by miniroll32 View Post
An SD card slot...

If only!
And that's where I stop reading. I'm not saying that just to say it, I actually did just stop reading their because I know damn well Apple isn't going to us a SD card slot.
lsvtecjohn3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 11:42 AM   #58
Simplicated
macrumors 65816

Has no one at the rumor sites realized that not everything that comes in a different language (read: the language of the country in which iProducts are produced) is credible?
Old Feb 11, 2013, 11:42 AM   #59
bmcgrath
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinoyAko View Post
SD card slot? What is going to happen to iCloud then for storage.

This is fake.
Nooooooooooo?
bmcgrath is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 11:43 AM   #60
TheNextBigThing
macrumors member

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
TheNextBigThing is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 11:48 AM   #61
PinoyAko
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNextBigThing View Post

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
That was a BIG one!!
PinoyAko is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 11:56 AM   #62
ApfelKuchen
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by locust76 View Post
No, I understand. The question was "why would you want an SD slot on your phone," and the obvious answer to that is "more storage space."

It had nothing to do with the phone being thicker due to the reader or the mechanism or whatever.
I'd phrase that "different" or "removable" storage space. I'm not particularly enthusiastic about committing my primary storage to a small, removable device that's dependent on a mechanical connection, any more than I was enthusiastic about computers with dual floppy drives (running applications direct from floppy to RAM). Anyone who's had to re-seat a SIM card as part of the troubleshooting process should know what I mean. If a bad connection lead to a failure to write/save data or apps.... ouch!

It's always a matter of preference, but if it's just about file transfer options, I'd put SD cards in the "sneaker net" category. WiFi, iCloud, USB, email attachments... How many users would benefit from adding another transfer method vs. how many would benefit from some other feature that consumes the same costs or space?

Yeah, a pro/serious amateur photographer can always make a case for extensible storage when off the grid. While I wouldn't say it's silly for an iPhone user to need that capability, it's not exactly a mainstream need.

It would be nice if there was an accessory that allowed transfer to an external writer - those who want it can pay for it. $30 or thereabouts isn't going to break the bank. But Apple's always been wary of a transfer method that can enable easy transfer of copyrighted materials, so I'm not holding my breath.
ApfelKuchen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 12:03 PM   #63
avanpelt
macrumors 65816

Might be a prototype that Apple's testing for one reason or another, but I doubt this is a 5S. A smaller battery and no Lightning port? There's no way Apple is abandoning Lightning after one year. If prior stories about the Lightning connector are true, Apple's nowhere close to using that connector to its full potential yet.
avanpelt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 12:04 PM   #64
Wicked1
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by miniroll32 View Post
An SD card slot...

If only!
If Apple doesn't start adding this, I not be getting an iPhone anymore, they charge too much for the 32 and 64GB models and it costs them pennies to add the storage.

I love the iPhone but I am so tired of spending $300 for 32 GB and fighting to keep archiving music and photos if I had an ad slot I could use a couple of large micro ad cards.

Samsung G4 here I come
Wicked1 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 12:11 PM   #65
NorEaster
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApfelKuchen View Post
I'd phrase that "different" or "removable" storage space. I'm not particularly enthusiastic about committing my primary storage to a small, removable device that's dependent on a mechanical connection, any more than I was enthusiastic about computers with dual floppy drives (running applications direct from floppy to RAM). Anyone who's had to re-seat a SIM card as part of the troubleshooting process should know what I mean. If a bad connection lead to a failure to write/save data or apps.... ouch!

It's always a matter of preference, but if it's just about file transfer options, I'd put SD cards in the "sneaker net" category. WiFi, iCloud, USB, email attachments... How many users would benefit from adding another transfer method vs. how many would benefit from some other feature that consumes the same costs or space?

Yeah, a pro/serious amateur photographer can always make a case for extensible storage when off the grid. While I wouldn't say it's silly for an iPhone user to need that capability, it's not exactly a mainstream need.

It would be nice if there was an accessory that allowed transfer to an external writer - those who want it can pay for it. $30 or thereabouts isn't going to break the bank. But Apple's always been wary of a transfer method that can enable easy transfer of copyrighted materials, so I'm not holding my breath.
A SD slot wouldn't be the primary storage though...the phone's internal flash memory would be. The SD slot would facilitate storage of additional content. And extensible storage for a regular iPhone user would be great (and I think it actually is a maintstream need...since saving money is a common requirement amongst consumers). Paying $199 for a 16GB iPhone, and then another $30 to increase my storage capacity so I can consume my music, photos, videos sure beats paying $299 for a 32GB iPhone.

Also, I've had SD cards for my Blackberry and Treo prior to getting an iPhone and I've never had issues with the mechanical connection. Access to the SD card was always flawless and I don't think my experience was an outlier.
NorEaster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 12:13 PM   #66
adildacoolset
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked1 View Post
If Apple doesn't start adding this, I not be getting an iPhone anymore, they charge too much for the 32 and 64GB models and it costs them pennies to add the storage.

I love the iPhone but I am so tired of spending $300 for 32 GB and fighting to keep archiving music and photos if I had an ad slot I could use a couple of large micro ad cards.

Samsung G4 here I come
I guess I wasn't following rumors lately. I didn't know that Samsung would include the G4 processor in it's next phone
Last edited by adildacoolset; Tomorrow at 09:42 AM. Reason: grammar error
adildacoolset is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 12:15 PM   #67
Wicked1
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by adildacoolset View Post
I guess I wasn't following rumors lately. I didn't know that Samsung would include the G4 processor in it's next phone
?Huh

No I will be moving to the GSIII or the GS4 as my iPhone replacement?
Wicked1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 12:34 PM   #68
adildacoolset
macrumors 65816

Quote:
?Huh

No I will be moving to the GSIII or the GS4 as my iPhone replacement?
I know, it just looked like G4
Last edited by adildacoolset; Tomorrow at 09:42 AM. Reason: grammar error
adildacoolset is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 12:43 PM   #69
Jack97
macrumors regular

"iPhone 5 clone"? Are you sure it's not the galaxy s4? ;)
Old Feb 11, 2013, 01:02 PM   #70
Simplicated
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Samsung G4 here I come
Good luck with that.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 01:06 PM   #71
rmwebs
Banned

That thing has nasty looking internals.

Wonder if it'll run android or the crappy java based OS that asian counterfeit companies seem to love so much.
rmwebs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 01:21 PM   #72
TheNextBigThing
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinoyAko View Post
That was a BIG one!!
Your username suggests me that you're a Filipino.
Pinoy din ako.
TheNextBigThing is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 01:26 PM   #73
kockgunner
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolspot18 View Post
Why not? It would provide iOS with a lot of storage for a low cost and make it easier to transfer files to the device.

What negative aspect is there of a SD card slot?
Assuming Apple devises a way to remedy multiple volumes showing up like on an Android device, external storage is slower and much easier to corrupt and also takes up valuable space for other internals. If you take out the external storage or it gets damaged or is removed, data will be fragmented. Also you have another fiddly port on the phone for the card since Apple sure won't give people removeable back covers.
kockgunner is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 01:26 PM   #74
notjustjay
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApfelKuchen View Post
This already exists: The Digital Camera Connection Kit includes adaptors for reading/writing to SD cards and USB devices. And it's $30! (Only for 30-pin dock connectors, it looks like. No Lightning version yet.)

Apple would only need to implement OS support for file systems other than those in DCIM format. And support for iPhones too, not just the iPad. Not too likely, but one can dream...
Old Feb 11, 2013, 01:28 PM   #75
winston1236
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy10709 View Post
In other words, a Samsung?

*Grabs tomato shielding device*
I dont see the problem here. We know the 5s, 6 and 6s will all be identical minus a processor.
winston1236 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion