Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Photography

Old Feb 11, 2013, 10:21 AM   #1
Resyek
macrumors newbie

Photo storage question(s)

I just recently purchased a rMBP with a 256 GB SSD internal drive (from a 15" MBP with a 500 GB HDD). I am a beginning photographer, but have quickly realized how much space my photos are taking up on my drive.

A co-worker of mine has the higher end retina (512 GB storage), but told me he doesn't keep all of his photos on his internal drive, only the project he is currently working on, and keeps all other photos on external drive(s). So, that got me thinking: should I bother exchanging my rMBP (just purchased within the week) for a larger capacity SSD, or should I be keeping the majority of my photos on an external drive?

How do you guys/gals store your photos? Internal or external drive?

Thanks so much!
Old Feb 11, 2013, 10:30 AM   #2
Bending Pixels
macrumors 6502a

If I was getting a rMBP, I would definitely get one with the 512gig SSD vs 256, mostly to avoid the possibility of running out of disk space. And yes - I do archive finished photo projects to an external drive.
Bending Pixels is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 10:41 AM   #3
blueroom
macrumors 603

Get a NAS, it stays on your network and doesn't require any plugging or unplugging USB cables.

Many NAS's like Synology also have tools for photographers.
http://www.synology.com/events/2013_...er.php?lang=us
blueroom is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 09:08 PM   #4
VirtualRain
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resyek View Post
I just recently purchased a rMBP with a 256 GB SSD internal drive (from a 15" MBP with a 500 GB HDD). I am a beginning photographer, but have quickly realized how much space my photos are taking up on my drive.

A co-worker of mine has the higher end retina (512 GB storage), but told me he doesn't keep all of his photos on his internal drive, only the project he is currently working on, and keeps all other photos on external drive(s). So, that got me thinking: should I bother exchanging my rMBP (just purchased within the week) for a larger capacity SSD, or should I be keeping the majority of my photos on an external drive?

How do you guys/gals store your photos? Internal or external drive?

Thanks so much!
I've always thought that if I went exclusively mobile, I would get a 15" rMBP with the 512GB SSD. 512GB is big enough for my OS/Apps/iTunes and enough for a current year's worth of Aperture photos for me. I would then use a thunderbolt external drive array for archived photo libraries.

Whether you can get by with 256GB or would benefit from 512GB is really something only you can tell... (how many photos do you shoot a month, what size, etc.). More storage will mean more stuff fits on your local drive and just means you have to spend less time doing clean-up or moving things around to make space.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 11:28 AM   #5
Resyek
macrumors newbie

Thank you all for your advice.

I feel as though the right/smart thing to do would be to exchange this model for the 512GB model. After looking at external storage options (that would be at least somewhat comparable to the speed of the rMBP's storage) I am already close to the $500 extra price tag associated with the upgrade from the 256GB model to the 512GB model. I was just hoping I could save that money for other "wants" (lenses). The one thing that really sealed the deal was the need to use bootcamp. I feel after partitioning my drive I am not left with enough storage space.

Thanks again!
Old Feb 12, 2013, 12:03 PM   #6
Laird Knox
macrumors 65816

I've had good luck with Parallels. That way you only need to use space for the OS and applications. You don't need to make a partition large enough to hold whatever you might need to do in the future.
Laird Knox is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 04:50 PM   #7
wolfpuppies3
macrumors 6502

I have 512 GB SSDs in my MB Pro as well as my working/traveling 13" MBA. My actual photos occupy close to 400 GB of space and are kept on (several copies) external HDDs. Only my working projects are on the internal SSDs.

And I do not use Bootcamp as it is awkward to use, requires multiple boot ups, and has an inflexible partition. Use Parallels and everything is easier.

That works for me.

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Photography