Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bboyredcel

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 26, 2006
Reposted from Howardforums: http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php/1790636-iOS6-1-Jailbreak-MMS-Bug-Or-new-status-quo

So, I jailbroke my iPhone 5 (Factory Unlocked GSM) using the evasi0n jailbreak when it came out in an effort to prevent iOS from automatically deleting my MMS/Data settings every two weeks. Before i did the update to 6.1 (from 6.0.1, via itunes backup/restore), MMS was working in both directions thanks to the t-mobile sim swap trick. I do not, nor have i ever, had an unlockit.co.nz profile installed.

The new issue that i've encountered and verified with a friend who also has the same issue and is on straight talk w/ a jailbroken iPhone 5 (ATT GSM), is that neither of us are able to receive MMS messages from non-Straight Talk users (including iPhones w/ iMessage turned off). We can both send successfully to non-Straight Talk users, but not receive. I asked my brother who has an HTC OneX on ST to send me a test message and I WAS able to receive that. However, when I requested test messages from friends/family who are on Verizon, Sprint, T-Mobile, and Virgin Mobile; I was unable to receive the messages. The people sending the MMS messages to me all received "Delivery Report: Rejected" and the messages were never received by me. For the sake of science, I sent test messages to all of these people from my phone and was able to successfully send MMS to all of them. Only incoming messages are not working. This makes ZERO sense, I know, but it is the truth and verified by myself and my friend with the same setup. I'm wondering if anyone else who thinks that their MMS is "working", is actually only able to SEND MMS, but not able to receive. I know that I was able to receive pre-jailbreak and pre iOS 6.1. The only variable that I have not been able to test myself was whether this issue is caused by iOS 6.1 or the jailbreak because I did both within hours of eachother and was not aware of this issue until yesterday.

My MMS settings are all there in the Cellular Data Network menu. I initially had TetherMe unlock the menu, but uninstalled that and switched to EditAPN thinking that maybe there was an issue with TetherMe that caused my problems, but encountered the same result.

I also called ST and had my device reprovisioned thinking that maybe there was a network issue that was causing the problem... again, no workie.

To summarize:
I CAN SEND MMS to EVERYONE
I CAN RECEIVE MMS from iOS users on Straight Talk (w/ iMessage off)
I CAN RECEIVE MMS from Non-iOS users on Straight Talk
I CAN NOT RECEIVE MMS from ANYONE on SPRINT
I CAN NOT RECEIVE MMS from ANYONE on VERIZON
I CAN NOT RECEIVE MMS from ANYONE on T-MOBILE
I CAN NOT RECEIVE MMS from ANYONE on VIRGIN MOBILE

Because I know people are going to say something about what my settings are, here is a screenshot.
attachment.php

Can everyone please test this, iPhone or not and report back.

Thanks,
Craig

*edited to include further testing:: Tried sending myself a MMS from my gf's VERIZON iPhone 4 w/ iMessage turned off, was unable to receive it. So, Im unable to receive MMS from ANYONE who DOESNT have Straight Talk regardless of their device.

derek52

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2013
same exact problems

I am having the same problems...had been working fine with straighttalk before i upgraded to ios 6.1 was previously on 5.1 on iphone 4 been trying to track the problem since feb 4 without an answer. can send mms to myself but cannot receive from others

asdf12312

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2011
Mine works and I tested it with a friend on Verizon. FYI, the ua prof field should be empty. Mine is and the official straight talk website also says that.

Then reboot your phone.

derek52

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2013
Mine works and I tested it with a friend on Verizon. FYI, the ua prof field should be empty. Mine is and the official straight talk website also says that.

Then reboot your phone.[/QUOT\

you have it working with the same settings above???

asdf12312

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2011

Then reboot your phone.[/QUOT\

you have it working with the same settings above???

Same settings except the ua prof field is blank.

I guess I should add a while ago I would get an MMS or try to send one and it wouldn't send/receive unless I rebooted my phone. It seems to work fine now though.

bboyredcel

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 26, 2006
You had your friend who has verizon but NOT an iPhone send you an MMS and you received it successfully? can you provide details of your setup?

iPhone model?

iOS version?

Jailbroken?

asdf12312

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2011
iPhone 4, iOS 6.1 JBd in straight talk AT&T sim.
He has a galaxy nexus on vzw.

He sent a pic and I got it.

applebitz

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2013
bboyredcel, Can you receive MMS from anyone on AT&T?

I have this problem for the past 4 weeks or so. My 4S on 5.1 stopped receiving MMS. Straight Talk tech support is absolutely of no help.

CELLULAR DATA WORKS
I CAN SEND MMS TO EVERYONE
I CAN RECEIVE MMS ONLY FROM AT&T USER WITH ANDROID
I CAN NOT RECEIVE MMS FROM VERIZON, T-MOBLE USERS WITH ANDROIDS some of these people receive "REJECTED" messages, some don't receive any message.
That's about the size of my test area /-:

I have tried EVERY mention of Straight Talk APN settings on the WHOLE internet.
I did a full RESTORE on my 4S and even updated to 6.1 which sucked.

I switched messaging on/off with power on/off in between.
I reset with home/power button until apple logo appears.

I'm under the impression there is a problem with the MMS server on AT&T that is rejecting MMS for MVNO users or at least Straight Talk USERS.

Straight Talk to Straight Talk and AT&T to Straight Talk works because it is on the same network.

applebitz

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2013
I'm thinking this might be a specific at&t network location. I'm in the NYC area. Where is everyone from who is having this issue located?

I was on with tech support trying to explain this specific problem to the "I have to read from the punch list" worker. She told me to call back tomorrow when their networking department is open.

swoosh0217

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2007
NW
I have a factory unlock iphone 5 and Im able tip receive and send MMS to verizon and att phones. I have not tried sprint.

applebitz

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2013
I was on with three different Straight Talk people today....what a mess that was. The only sort of help I got was from the last person who told me that AT&T noted there was an issue. I found the following on the net posted Feb 6, 2013.

New York - AT&T is experiencing a large service outage up and down the U.S. east coast.

AT&T representative confirmed that the outage is effecting sending or receiving text messaging services.

Please post if you can answer the following questions YES

(iPhone user with iMessage turned OFF)

You are using Straight Talk with the AT&T SIM Card?

You were able to SEND/RECEIVE MMS without issues prior to January?

You can SEND a MMS picture message to anyone with no problem?

You can SEND a MMS picture message to yourself AND receive it?

You can RECEIVE a MMS picture message from someone who is on AT&T or a MVNO of AT&T such as Straight Talk, NET10, H20 etc?

You can NOT RECEIVE a MMS picture message from anyone outside of AT&T or a MVNO of AT&T ?

Are you on the East Coast?

bboyredcel

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 26, 2006
I am also in CT. Maybe this is (hopefully) just a local outage??

applebitz,
im pretty sure i can receive from anyone on AT&T. I got 3 mms from 3 different AT&T users. It makes sense because ST uses the AT&T MMS Gateway. There is no handoff happening between AT&T & ST, which is why ST to ST MMS works as well. I'd bet Net10 and Tracfone to ST works too.

applebitz

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2013
Sometimes your phone can lose the ability to send mms for whatever reason. You can turn on airplane mode for 10-20 second and then back off or you can turn your phone off/on. So much for SMARTphones d-:

tlhaas

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2013
Same problem here as the OP.

iPhone4 jailbroken with evasi0n running iOS6.1, edited APN settings with EditAPN, and I've confirmed the settings are correct.

I can send MMS to anybody, but I don't receive them. Tested in the Rochester NY and NNJ markets, same issue.

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one.

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
Rebooted my phone tonight and the message I sent last night as seen above came through.

Central Florida here.

And this happens to stock phones on original carrier as well.
When friends haven't received an MMS from me in a reasonable amount of time, I recommend a reboot.
The MMS comes in immediately.

As someone else said, it's just smartphones.

Prior to the jailbreak, I had my iPhone 5 on StraightTalk (using the sim swap trick on an unlocked phone for APN settings access) and I did not suffer any of these issues with incoming or outgoing MMS.
Went back to AT&T for the LTE data speeds until StraightTalk is able to offer the LTE speeds passthrough.

bboyredcel

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 26, 2006
I definitely tried rebooting many many times. Airplane mode too.

No Go.

Today I restored to 6.1, fresh install. I didnt have a tmo sim handy so i couldnt test 6.1 w/o jailbreak. Rejailbroke so i could edit the APN, edited (using new howardforums settings) and still not able to receive MMS.

Today im in mid-lower CT (New Haven), normally im in Danbury, CT. Same issue, new firmware.

This sucks.

My gf who is on Simple Mobile is able to send and receive no problem. She is iPhone 5, Simple Mobile, 6.1 Jailbroken.

I think AT&T is rejecting incoming MMS to MVNO subscribers since their agreement with Tracfone (or whatever is causing Tracfone not to sell AT&T sims) is over/some friction going on there... just a hypothesis, of course.

pnyc

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2007
Brooklyn, NY
iPhone 5 GSM factory unlocked, iOS 6.1, jailbroken, APN setting same as the op minus MMS UA Prof URL(left blank). Can send receive MMS to and from ATT(iPhone5), Verizon(Android), Sprint(Android).

jerseypepino

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2013
Trouble SENDING pics and vids ONLY.

Straight Talk customer with Straight Talk SIM.
I had no issues with the previously Jail-break.
I went from ios 5.1 to ios 6.1.
Jail-broke it with evasi0n and needed to unlocked it with unlockit.co.nz to get the APN Cellular Data Settings.
My Cellular Data Network info is updated as well.
I can send and receive SMS texts FROM 3g to WiFi, WiFi to WiFi and 3g to 3g with my iPhone 4 to my Motorola Admiral-Android work phone WITH NO ISSUES.
I can RECEIVE MMS (pics and vids) on my iPhone 4 from my Motorola Admiral with Android on 3g to 3g, 3g to WiFi, and WiFi to WiFi, with no problem.
I am unable to send MMS from my iPhone 4, 3g to 3g, 3g to WiFi, and WiFi to WiFi!!

Last edited:

jerseypepino

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2013
Straight Talk customer with Straight Talk SIM.
I had no issues with the previously Jail-break.
I went from ios 5.1 to ios 6.1.
Jail-broke it with evasi0n and needed to unlocked it with unlockit.co.nz to get the APN Cellular Data Settings.
My Cellular Data Network info is updated as well.
I can send and receive SMS texts FROM 3g to WiFi, WiFi to WiFi and 3g to 3g with my iPhone 4 to my Motorola Admiral-Android work phone WITH NO ISSUES.
I can RECEIVE MMS (pics and vids) on my iPhone 4 from my Motorola Admiral with Android on 3g to 3g, 3g to WiFi, and WiFi to WiFi, with no problem.
I am unable to send MMS from my iPhone 4, 3g to 3g, 3g to WiFi, and WiFi to WiFi!!

Got it working with the addition of the:
MMS UA PROF URL http://www.apple.com/mms/uaprof.rdf

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.