Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lazarus177

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 16, 2011
I have a 2011 27 inch imac and recently all my bluetooth devices have stopped working only on the right had side of my iMac.
If I move them all over to the left, as if I was left handed they all work perfectly.
Has anyone had this problem? If so, is there any fix?
Thanks

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"If I move them all over to the left, as if I was left handed they all work perfectly.
Has anyone had this problem? If so, is there any fix?"

I recall reading here about "interference" with Bluetooth caused by proximity to USB3.

This was particularly noticeable in the early shipments of the 2012 Mac Mini. I believe the "fix" was to add some shielding around the Bluetooth module on them.

It's possible the iMacs are vulnerable to this, as well.

Do you have any USB3 devices/cables attached over on the right side?
What happens if you start shifting the position of devices and cables around?

Lazarus177

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 16, 2011
There are no USB 3 devices near the iMac. I have a Retina MBP in the room immediately downstairs below the iMac. I'll try and move that but it seems a bit of a long shot.
I have bluetooth keyboard, trackpad and magic mouse and they all stop working if I move them over to the right hand side. Move them back and they work fine.
Wouldn't be a problem if I was left handed.

Lazarus177

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 16, 2011
OK. A quick follow up. I've moved all devices out of the area of the iMac, even my retina MBP from the room down stairs and the problem persists.
I guess the solution is to use a wired mouse and keyboard, I can live with using the track pad with my left hand.
Would still like to get it sorted out though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.