Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Feb 11, 2013, 11:37 AM   #1
Spinnetti
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Kentucky
Apple TV update kills ability to view Apple content...

The Mrs. wanted to watch some dumb movie on itunes
> Fired up the tv, and apple TV (gen2) said it wanted to update, so we said ok and waited the 10 minutes to update and reboot. (#1 waste of time - should do updates in the background)

> Everything worked EXCEPT, I could not pick any movie content or menus. Spent 30 min trying to reboot and get it to work (#2 waste of time).

> Gets better. Bought the movie on the iPad, then tried to use airplay... had to dig for settings to get it to work at all, and when we did, it only streamed audio and back and forth, either mirrored to the tv, but video only for .1 sec at a time or just audio only, or it said "protected content not allowed to be mirrored" WTF?

So after 40min of frustration, me and the wife are sitting in our Theater room with a dark 65" plasma while we watch some stupid movie on the ipad.......

Apple: It just don't work. I had the same issue before trying to mirror my imac video to my TV.

They make it such a hassle to watch the stuff you buy from them, that its just easier to "download it" and skip the whole applesphere and use airparrot or similar to stream it if I need to. I've got a house full of Apple products, but they do drive me nuts, and the bugs are getting more frequent with each release. They should stop delivering new, and focus on improving integration and bug fixes.
Spinnetti is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 11:49 AM   #2
mic j
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinnetti View Post
The Mrs. wanted to watch some dumb movie on itunes
> Fired up the tv, and apple TV (gen2) said it wanted to update, so we said ok and waited the 10 minutes to update and reboot. (#1 waste of time - should do updates in the background)

> Everything worked EXCEPT, I could not pick any movie content or menus. Spent 30 min trying to reboot and get it to work (#2 waste of time).

> Gets better. Bought the movie on the iPad, then tried to use airplay... had to dig for settings to get it to work at all, and when we did, it only streamed audio and back and forth, either mirrored to the tv, but video only for .1 sec at a time or just audio only, or it said "protected content not allowed to be mirrored" WTF?

So after 40min of frustration, me and the wife are sitting in our Theater room with a dark 65" plasma while we watch some stupid movie on the ipad.......

Apple: It just don't work. I had the same issue before trying to mirror my imac video to my TV.

They make it such a hassle to watch the stuff you buy from them, that its just easier to "download it" and skip the whole applesphere and use airparrot or similar to stream it if I need to. I've got a house full of Apple products, but they do drive me nuts, and the bugs are getting more frequent with each release. They should stop delivering new, and focus on improving integration and bug fixes.
Airparrot as an alternative to Airplay...your frustration is fogging your reason.
__________________
17" MacBook Pro, 2.66 GHz, 8GB RAM; AppleTV 3; iPad 2, 32GB; 2TB Time Capsule (RIP 9/12); AEBS w 1TB Seagate HDD; AE; 65" Mits DLP, Sony STR-DB1070 AVR
mic j is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 02:31 PM   #3
kokako
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
They make it such a hassle to watch the stuff you buy from them, that its just easier to "download it" and skip the whole applesphere and use airparrot or similar to stream it if I need to. I've got a house full of Apple products, but they do drive me nuts, and the bugs are getting more frequent with each release. They should stop delivering new, and focus on improving integration and bug fixes.


Works for me

Last edited by kokako; Feb 11, 2013 at 02:43 PM.
kokako is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 03:07 PM   #4
GarrettL1979
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
I gotta say... i'm very hesitant to install updates on my ATV these days. There are always issues.
GarrettL1979 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 03:30 PM   #5
MFL2012
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
After an update, always unplug your ATV, wait 30 seconds or so and plug it back in. It's ridiculous but it works more often than not. Restarting doesn't seem to do much.
MFL2012 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 03:42 PM   #6
paulrbeers
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
I upgraded 4 this weekend with no issues. I recommend you pull the power cord, let it set for awhile (30 seconds) and plug it back in. Always solves any problems I've ever had with an AppleTV.
__________________
MBP 8,2 15" 2.2Ghz w/ 120GB SSD + 500GB
MBA 6,2 13" 1.7Ghz w/ 256GB SSD
Mac Mini 6,2 2.3ghz w/ 240GB SSD + 1TB
Mac Pro 1,1 w/ 8 cores @ 2.66 w/ 240GB SSD
paulrbeers is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 04:49 PM   #7
Blue Fox
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Updated mine. Have none of the issues mentioned here. Haven't really ever had an issue when updating both of my Apple TV's (ATV 2 and 3).
__________________
27" i7 iMac w/SSD | 32 GB iPhone 5 | 120 GB iPod Classic | 13" White MacBook w/SSD
Blue Fox is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2013, 03:39 PM   #8
Spinnetti
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Kentucky
update

I reset the atv, reapplied the updates then did the unplug/plug dance and its working again... rest of the problems still stand....
Spinnetti is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2013, 04:56 PM   #9
NMF
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinnetti View Post
I reset the atv, reapplied the updates then did the unplug/plug dance and its working again... rest of the problems still stand....
I made a thread about this earlier. The bottom line is that you either have to rent the movie you want to watch on the device you want to watch it on, or rent it from a computer using iTunes. If you rent using iTunes (PC or Mac) you download the video file and can then either stream to the Apple TV using home sharing, or simply copy the file to a different device (one at a time). If you rent something directly from an iPad you can only watch it on the iPad, but if you rent from a computer you can copy it to the iPad, then copy it back to the computer later on. I couldn't believe it either.

The good news is that from now on I know to either rent from the computer or the Apple TV itself. I prefer to just rent on the Apple TV so I can simply stream the content and skip the download step altogether. It's stupid that I need to remember to use the correct device when renting a movie, but at least now I know.
__________________
MacBook Air 13" (2013) Mac mini (2011) OS X Server + Drobo 5D
AirPort Time Capsule (2013) iPhone 5 TV 3
NMF is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2013, 07:59 AM   #10
Spinnetti
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMF View Post
I made a thread about this earlier. The bottom line is that you either have to rent the movie you want to watch on the device you want to watch it on, or rent it from a computer using iTunes. If you rent using iTunes (PC or Mac) you download the video file and can then either stream to the Apple TV using home sharing, or simply copy the file to a different device (one at a time). If you rent something directly from an iPad you can only watch it on the iPad, but if you rent from a computer you can copy it to the iPad, then copy it back to the computer later on. I couldn't believe it either.

The good news is that from now on I know to either rent from the computer or the Apple TV itself. I prefer to just rent on the Apple TV so I can simply stream the content and skip the download step altogether. It's stupid that I need to remember to use the correct device when renting a movie, but at least now I know.
This all started because I had an itunes credit and couldn't figure out how to redeem it on my atv, so did on my computer, then couldn't stream it..... Apple makes great stuff, but they need to think a lot more deeply about how to manage all their devices in one home with itunes, multiple macs, phones and pads... its a mess now, with data duplicated all over, or if you put it in one place over wireless, its slow to access.
Spinnetti is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:42 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC