Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Feb 11, 2013, 03:09 PM   #26
AidenShaw
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by PassiveSmoking View Post
Do you remember the times when Apple keynotes where all about new products and services and not about how much money they were raking in?

Those were good times. I miss those times.
Those times are dead.
AidenShaw is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 03:16 PM   #27
FatMax
macrumors regular

Well, it is Tuesday tomorrow..

:P
FatMax is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 03:22 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by basesloaded190 View Post
Isn't that what a CEO of company is supposed to do?
There is no company or investors thereof without customers.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristIsLORD View Post
Occupista kids who have no idea how businees works and make ridiculous statements like this shouldn't be commenting on articles dealing with these subjects.
"Occupista" kids? What the heck is that?

Anyone who doesn't agree with Wall Street views is a commie now? Or are you one of those who believe, like Lloyd Blankfein, that GS and others are doing the "work of God"?

Spare us from such McCarthyist nonsense, please.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by AidenShaw View Post
Those times are dead.
Indeed they are.
50548 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 03:27 PM   #29
Michaelgtrusa
macrumors 601

This is why a R&D facility is being opened in china and not here.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 03:28 PM   #30
Rocketman
macrumors 603

While he is on the East coast he is also going to sit with Mrs. Obama during the SOTU address.

Rocketman
Old Feb 11, 2013, 03:29 PM   #31
Peace
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaelgtrusa View Post
This is why a R&D facility is being opened in china and not here.
There's one expanding in Israel too.

fun facts.

Peace is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 03:31 PM   #32
Nimrad
macrumors regular

How will this be streamed to iPhones? Using the link?
Nimrad is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 03:33 PM   #33
Peace
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimrad View Post
How will this be streamed to iPhones? Using the link?
Make a bookmark in Safari for http://events.apple.com.edgesuite.ne...ent/index.html
Old Feb 11, 2013, 03:48 PM   #34
basesloaded190
macrumors 68030

Send a message via AIM to basesloaded190
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRLawyer View Post

I don't know if it's the job of the CEO to please customers. Of course the end result is to do so and that's what set Jobs apart from most CEO's, but a CEO needs to please investors first and foremost.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 03:55 PM   #35
Bubba Satori
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squilly View Post
This'll be interesting. Wonder whats going to happen to the stock price.
It will go up or down.
Bubba Satori is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 04:01 PM   #36
Rog210
macrumors regular

Quote:
Occupista kids who have no idea how businees works and make ridiculous statements like this shouldn't be commenting on articles dealing with these subjects.
Your username makes this doubly hilarious.

But seriously, **** Goldman. It's a testament to how deeply these scumbags have infiltrated government that they have avoided jail.
Rog210 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 04:39 PM   #37
slapple
macrumors 6502

AAPL stock is up $30 in 2 days. If Cook doesn't make any major announcements, I see traders selling on disappointment.
slapple is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 04:44 PM   #38
AidenShaw
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rog210 View Post
Your username makes this doubly hilarious.

But seriously, **** Goldman. It's a testament to how deeply these scumbags have infiltrated government that they have avoided jail.
s;hilarious;ludicrous;g

AidenShaw is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 04:46 PM   #39
Chupa Chupa
macrumors G3

Quote:
Goldman Sachs? Goldman and Sachs? The very big name representatives of what is worst in this world nowadays?

Pass.

Just another evidence of Cook pandering to investors before users.
But legally his fiduciary duties are to shareholders, not customers. He'd be negligent if he put customers ahead of shareholders. Basic statutory law.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 04:56 PM   #40
Rogifan
macrumors 604

Quote:
Do you remember the times when Apple keynotes where all about new products and services and not about how much money they were raking in?

A Goldman Sachs conference is not a keynote. When's the last keynote where Cook or anyone else focused on Apple's profits?

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
While he is on the East coast he is also going to sit with Mrs. Obama during the SOTU address.

Rocketman
I believe this event is on the west coast. Assuming SOTU is the reason his speaking slot was moved from afternoon to morning.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 05:03 PM   #41
maxosx
macrumors 68020

This is a terrific opportunity for Tim to connect with the financial community in a meaningful way. The exact type of exposure Apple needs, he's precisely the kind of skilled, highly intelligent executive they can identify with. No matter what the outcome, in terms of the markets reaction, this bodes very well for Apple.

Only a portion of Apple's stock performance in recent months can be directly attributed to Apple. History reveals that during every presidential election cycle, the market turns rather tumultuous. It's history repeating itself.

If he has ample time at his disposal, they will hear a very clear & concise explanation from Apples perspective. If he is so inclined and willing to be candid as appropriate, those who listen carefully will come away with a good feeling about how he's guiding Apple. Whether they agree or disagree is of less importance than hearing the truth from Apple's CEO. As a long time serious investor in Apple Inc. I look forward to this event.
maxosx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 05:20 PM   #42
Renzatic
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Satori View Post
It will go up or down.
It could also have no effect on stock prices, and things stay as they are now.

Between your post and mine, we've just predicted the future.
Renzatic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 05:26 PM   #43
Peace
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post

Well in Tim Cooks mind he obviously doesn't see it going down more than average. He is doing this conference in the middle of the trading session.

If he says anything that could be perceived as negative by the wall street vultures the stock could go way down.

Then again if he has anything to say that can be perceived as positive it could give the stock a nice uptick.

So I say the stock goes up tomorrow.

Old Feb 11, 2013, 05:33 PM   #44
Risco
macrumors 65816

Should I bring a pillow? I find his monotonous tone, expressionless face and lack of charisma a complete bore. Sure he might have the brains, but for the love of god please get someone else to do his public speaking!
Old Feb 11, 2013, 05:55 PM   #45
santaliqueur
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Risco View Post
Should I bring a pillow? I find his monotonous tone, expressionless face and lack of charisma a complete bore. Sure he might have the brains, but for the love of god please get someone else to do his public speaking!
So this is more your style of CEO?

----------

Quote:
It will go up or down.
Or it will stay exactly the same. All other options should be met with criticism.
santaliqueur is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 07:57 PM   #46
Fatalbert
Banned

Quote:

I don't recall that. But the good times were before Apple's iPhone. Yeah, it's a great device, but it's ruined society. Most of the population has been constantly looking down at their iPhone or Android phone ever since the iPhone came out.

----------

Quote:
That doesn't mean much. There is no company or customers thereof without investors.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by slapple View Post
AAPL stock is up $30 in 2 days. If Cook doesn't make any major announcements, I see traders selling on disappointment.
Actually, it's up because it got oversold earlier. It's like those European debt crises. The market lost far more market cap - temporarily - than the amount that the European countries were in debt a couple of times.

The difference between those who call the investors evil cowards and those who call them stupid is that the ones who take advantage of this call them stupid, not evil. Anything about investors on MR invites a bunch of ******** comments from those who didn't sell at $700 and BS about how the banks are stealing our money by trading stock.

----------

Quote:
You don't know how Apple works. Catering to the customers IS catering to the investors in the long run. These meetings are just helping day-traders like me, and I wouldn't day-trade if Apple didn't do this.
Fatalbert is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 08:34 PM   #47
Saladinos
macrumors 68000

He's going to be busy. He's sitting in the first lady's box at the state of the union.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57...union-address/

I hear they're going to announce the iPad Mini with Retina display
Saladinos is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 08:44 PM   #48
Swift
macrumors 65816

It's Like Henry Ford said

Not about Jews, of course, but about finance capital. They want to run successful companies as their piggy-bank. So Finance Capital was against the big investments. After WWI, when it was time for a retooling of the Model T, Ford needed some money to put in lines for the Model A. He forced each dealership to contribute more. He was drawn to do that because the Big Money wanted to run the company, and to be entitled to a huge part of it, because they put some money into Ford. So? In Henry's mind, just because you made money speculating on the market didn't mean you could run the company.

It seems to me perfectly true that some big money has gone after Apple, not for any other reason but that they want some (a lot) of Apple's cash, for the same reason that they want our social security; because stupid people let "shareholders" run companies in an awful parody of self-government.
Swift is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 08:57 PM   #49
mtbgtr
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
As CEO of a publicly traded company he is not likely to make any disclosures that would constitute news. He is likely to help clarify the thinking of analysts in his view or opinion of the facts already presented. Spin if you will, but spin toward the centerline of fact and experience as viewed by the public already.

His pilgrimage to G-S is an expectation but has no either positive or negative implication on either the business or the stock.

AAPL price has settled back to the 5-6 year long price channel it broke out of a couple of years ago. Slow and steady wins the race from this point forward. AAPL as a stock is now a safety play. IMHO of course. YMMV.

As for the comments about G-S and its tactics, it's not just an investment bank, it's OUR investment bank. You definitely want them on the side of your country when bad stuff is happening. Bad stuff the government caused but G-S simply traded on and profited from. Yes they have their hands in everything, especially in the smoke filled rooms.

Rocketman
Bad stuff the government caused? REALLY? Have you been hiding under a rock the last 5 years? It's common knowledge that banks like GS own OUR governmental lock stock and barrel and write the bills for congress to pass in their favor regardless of how it affects the rest of the world. Too big to fail is incorrect more like OUR congress is too scared to lose the personal payouts by prosecuting.
mtbgtr is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 09:38 PM   #50
Bubba Satori
macrumors 68040

Quote:
It will go up or down.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post

While we are doing a bang up job of predicting the future,
I will predict that 2013 will be Tim Cook's last full year as CEO of Apple Inc.
His replacement will be a knight in shining armor, Ive gone on record as saying.
Magic.
Bubba Satori is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion