Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Klingsta

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 11, 2013
I just bought my first MacBook Pro (13 inch low end) and I think it´s great.

There is only one problem. After having set the Mac to sleep over night (by closing the lid) it takes over a minute in the morning before I can enter the PIN and use the Mac. Is that normal?

There is no problem leaving it for sleep for a couple of hours, then I can enter the PIN instantly when opening the lid.

Should/can I make some adjustments to any of the settings to solve this?

Thanks in advance for all your tips.

Good evening!

/Klingsta from Stockholm/Sweden

jjhoekstra

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2009
I just bought my first MacBook Pro (13 inch low end) and I think it´s great.

There is only one problem. After having set the Mac to sleep over night (by closing the lid) it takes over a minute in the morning before I can enter the PIN and use the Mac. Is that normal?

There is no problem leaving it for sleep for a couple of hours, then I can enter the PIN instantly when opening the lid.

Should/can I make some adjustments to any of the settings to solve this?

Thanks in advance for all your tips.

Good evening!

/Klingsta from Stockholm/Sweden

It looks like you have a normal HDD and lots of memory. To wake up from deep sleep all of the RAM as it was before going to sleep has to be re-filled from the HDD. On a SSD this is almost instantaneous unless you have 16 Gb, on a HDD it might take a while.
If you have SSD than there is some other problem and you should do all the normal things to solve problems, like re-install etc. If that does not help go see your dealer.

robvas

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2009
USA
I have mixed feelings about sleep to disk. Sure, it really saves battery life but if I'm not going to turn my computer back on for 24+ hours I might as well shut it off all the way.

Klingsta

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 11, 2013
Found this with a quick Google search:

http://www.ewal.net/2012/09/09/slow-wake-for-macbook-pro-retina/

Yeah it's specifically mentions the rMBP but it looks like the Terminal command would work for any MacBook. Haven't tried it myself though.

Thanks, I think this could solve my problem (and yes I have a 500 GB normal HDD).But, how do I run the mentioned command from a terminal window? I have no idea, is it difficult? Sorry for stupid question.

robvas

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2009
USA
Thanks, I think this could solve my problem (and yes I have a 500 GB normal HDD).But, how do I run the mentioned command from a terminal window? I have no idea, is it difficult? Sorry for stupid question.

Go up to Spotlight (upper left corner of your screen, looks like a magnifying glass) and type in 'Terminall' then hit enter.

Or go to the Dock or Finder and click on 'Applications' and then Utilities, it's in there.

Klingsta

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 11, 2013
Go up to Spotlight (upper left corner of your screen, looks like a magnifying glass) and type in 'Terminall' then hit enter.

Or go to the Dock or Finder and click on 'Applications' and then Utilities, it's in there.

Thanks, I found it. But is it safe? I got this warning message when i typed "sudo pmset -a standbydelay 86400"

WARNING: Improper use of the sudo command could lead to data loss
or the deletion of important system files. Please double-check your
typing when using sudo. Type "man sudo" for more information.

To proceed, enter your password, or type Ctrl-C to abort.

And what password is it? The one I use to log in with and when I want to download programs etc?

chriscl

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2008
Stuttgart, Germany
Thanks, I found it. But is it safe? I got this warning message when i typed "sudo pmset -a standbydelay 86400"

WARNING: Improper use of the sudo command could lead to data loss
or the deletion of important system files. Please double-check your
typing when using sudo. Type "man sudo" for more information.

To proceed, enter your password, or type Ctrl-C to abort.

And what password is it? The one I use to log in with and when I want to download programs etc?

That's a normal "are you sure" message, and nothing to worry about.

And yes, it's your normal password - the one you set up when you first used the Mac, and the same one you have to put in, when asked, to run an application (such as an updater) that requires elevated rights.

All that terminal command does is extend the timeout period before the "deep" sleep kicks in. It's perfectly safe to use.

Klingsta

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 11, 2013
Ok, I´ll try it later today and will let you know if it works. Thanks all for being so helful!

Klingsta

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 11, 2013
Unfortunately the commando sudo pmset -a standbydelay 86400 didn´t work for me. It still takes over a minute (!) before I can enter the password in the morning.

Maybe I did something wrong? I just pasted sudo pmset -a standbydelay 86400 into the commander and pressed enter. Then I entered the password. Is that the wright way to do it?

Tonight I will try the other tip: sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0.

Thanks for all your help!

Klingsta

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 11, 2013
The sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0 command didn´t work either. Any more suggestion before I go and see my local Apple Store? Thanks for your help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.