Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tom:

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 9, 2013
Northern Minnesota
Well I want to say Hello to everybody here at the MacRumors forum. As you can see I'm new here and pretty new to Apple computers. My Wife and I have newer MBP's. (I have two Son's who also own Apple Computers and am trying to convert my daughter. We have a total of 11 Apple devices in our family). I thought its time to get a better understanding of them, so here I am. I have already learned a lot by searching this site.

My 1st question for the community is, in Finder under devices my wife's MBP does not show her name but when I open Finder in my computer, It shows my name and when I expand "My Name" it opens up MacIntosh HD, and Network, why? What should be done? Thanks in advance for taking the time to read and reply to this post.

tom:

DennisVar

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2010
Howdy!

11 devices, that's quite a few. I'll have to count how many I have. :)

I think what you're seeing is the "Computer Name" -- it's actually not a big deal and it's something you specify when you turn on your Mac for the first time. If you do want to change it, you could go to "System Preferences" and then select "Sharing." There, change the "Computer Name."

Hope this helps!

DV

tom:

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 9, 2013
Northern Minnesota
Thanks for the reply DV, ya, eleven devices but they are for five people. But anyway both computers are named (for the owners) so I don't think it is the reason hers doesn't show her name and the associated underlying files. I am having some other issues with hers as well, I just thought it might have something to do with the other problems. Thanks again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.