Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

With Apple's interest in a smart watch gaining renewed attention, there has been a considerable amount of speculation about what the company might try to do with such a device. Some of the speculation has pointed out that a watch could provide a good alternative to traditional passcodes by using watch proximity to grant a user access to systems and apps.

Apple is apparently looking at other alternatives for traditional password security as well, as highlighted in a patent application published late last week and spotted by Patently Apple.

applesecuritypatent.jpg
The patent application describes a system that would display one or more photos stored on a device and ask the owner to identify them. The document mentions voice entry as one method of identification, using the example of a photo from the owner's Contacts database.
For example, after displaying an image that depicts a face of the user's sister Jane, the user may speak aloud, "Jane" ... Alternatively, step 120 might also include displaying ... a set of names. Then, as part of step 130, the user selects one of the displayed names that the user believes identifies the object.
The patent application suggests that the user would be able to choose the number of photos required to access the device, in the same way they already choose between simple and complex passcodes on an iPhone or iPad.

Apple previously filed for a patent on an approach similar to Android's Face Unlock feature, where the phone unlocks when it recognizes the face of the owner through the front-facing camera, though it was discovered soon after it debuted that the system could be easily fooled by using a photo of the owner displayed on another handset. Additional innovations such as a "Liveness Check" requiring that the user blink for Face Unlock to function have, however, been developed to increase security.

Article Link: Apple Exploring Alternatives to Traditional Passwords with Photo Identification as Authentication

The Phazer

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK
I really can't think of any scenario in which this would work.

I wouldn't want my photos displayed without my passcode being entered. That's one of the things it's there to prevent.

Unggoy Murderer

macrumors 65816
Jan 28, 2011
Edinburgh, UK
The Android Face Unlock feature is pathetic. I could use my friends Facebook profile picture to unlock it.

I still can't see Apple's system being fool proof. I mean, what if you know a lot about that particular person, like you're a family member or something. At this time, there isn't any better options than the passcode unlock, or Android's "join the dots" thing. (However, you can look for pattern smudges, tap marks on the screen)

DJAKO

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2006
Michigan
... As long you don't have a heavy cold and can't speak clearly ... Or in a noisy environment ... Or a very silent one ...

Don't think voice is a good option; for login.

Images and gestures are more flexible.

How would a very silent environment be bad in your example? :p

Nimrad

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2010
People keep forgetting Apple's policy. They have tons of patents that never make it to the product because of their very high requirements. This will probably not be one the (I like to say) few mistakes as Google already showed us how not to do this.

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
How would a very silent environment be bad in your example? :p

Think about you are in a school class or church and while session is going on you want to check email. I'm sure many people will look at you because you break the silence while unlocking your phone. :p

nostaws

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2006
Actually...

Remember this? "My voice is my password" :D

Actually, I am pretty sure that it was "My voice is my passport. Verify me."

That was the problem in the movie. How do you get someone to casually say "passport."

Last edited:

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
They are just NOW doing this? No wonder The Woz says they are falling behind.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
This article seems a lot more front page worthy than the "This is an iPhone 5 clone, not an iPhone 5S prototype" article.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.