Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MattG

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 27, 2003
Asheville, NC
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like Apple hasn't really thought this through on an Enterprise level.

Note, I'm not concerned with thieves -- I'm concerned with the employees we'll be handing these out to.

So I can enable "Find My iPhone" on a corporate iPhone. But, it's easy enough to turn that off.

I found that I can go into "Restrictions" and disable access to "Location Services," which is where "Find My iPhone" lives. But, then it's still easy enough to just blow away the iCloud account completely, which in turn blows away the "Find My iPhone" settings.

The only other thing I can do is in "Restrictions" is remove access to "Accounts." But if I do that, now the user has no ability to control the password on their other email accounts, including their enterprise Exchange account. So, when our "change your password once every xx days" policy rolls around, they have no way of changing it on their phones.

Anyone else find a way to enforce "Find My iPhone" without locking down everything else???

Gregintosh

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2008
Chicago
I run a business and I have a similar issue. How I handle it is this: if you are assigned an iPhone you are signing a responsibility agreement that states you are liable if its lost or if you refuse to surrender it when requested. Basically, it's coming out of your paycheck!

MattG

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 27, 2003
Asheville, NC
I run a business and I have a similar issue. How I handle it is this: if you are assigned an iPhone you are signing a responsibility agreement that states you are liable if its lost or if you refuse to surrender it when requested. Basically, it's coming out of your paycheck!

Yeah, I suppose we'll approach it similarly. I mean people shouldn't have a reason to remove it, but...people are dumb :)

Gregintosh

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2008
Chicago
Yeah, I suppose we'll approach it similarly. I mean people shouldn't have a reason to remove it, but...people are dumb :)

True. One more thing you can do is say you will randomly inspect them to make sure they are up to code (no unauthorized software, jailbreaks, no accounts have been removed, etc.) and you will hand out written warnings/write ups to people who aren't complying. Not sure how many employees you deal with but if you inspect one or two a month it'll keep everyone on their toes (if such shenanigans are a concern).

CSMchris376

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2010
Illinois
iPhone Confiruration Utility

Isn't this one of the things that you can do when you configure the devices with the iPhone Configuration Utility? I believe that you can disable a number of settings through the utility, and it is designed for setting up particular profiles on numerous devices. Maybe look into this option?

Check this link from Apple and see if this is what you are looking for.

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1466

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.