Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tawcat

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 3, 2011
So, the wife is contemplating shutting off our U-Verse TV. We have a smart TV so I'm thinking as long as we have internet we'll be okay.

Looking at Apple TV, I'm not sure how it works. Will I need an Apple TV unit for each TV?

Also have a Bose Lifestyle Theater system, will I be able to run Apple TV thrugh the Bose?

She figures between Hulu Plus etc, she'll be able to watch the majority of her programs. Our main TV is a Vizio smart TV, the other is HD Toshiba.

Any suggestions/input/feedback is greatly appreciated.

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Feb 9, 2010
So, the wife is contemplating shutting off our U-Verse TV. We have a smart TV so I'm thinking as long as we have internet we'll be okay.

Looking at Apple TV, I'm not sure how it works. Will I need an Apple TV unit for each TV?

Also have a Bose Lifestyle Theater system, will I be able to run Apple TV thrugh the Bose?

She figures between Hulu Plus etc, she'll be able to watch the majority of her programs. Our main TV is a Vizio smart TV, the other is HD Toshiba.

Any suggestions/input/feedback is greatly appreciated.

Can't you you watch hulu plus and stuff like that through the smart tv? Seems like apple tv might be overkill, if so.

tawcat

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 3, 2011
I'm sure via the smart tv all is would be okay, but probably need the ATV for the non-smart tv

brendu

Cancelled
Apr 23, 2009
I'm sure via the smart tv all is would be okay, but probably need the ATV for the non-smart tv

that is correct. The apple tv is a great solution for cable cutters who only want to access content through netflix, hulu plus, and iTunes.

TomH TX

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2010
Just make sure that you get an Appletv2 if you are thinking about trying to jailbreak it to access XBMC, Navi-x, or other sources that are only available if you are jailbroken. Appletv3 can not be jb'd yet.

tawcat

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 3, 2011
Probably not looking to j/b the device. I have enough trouble trying to use stuff as intended!

jeff92k7

macrumors member
Dec 14, 2012
Whoa...you might want to think about this a bit more before cutting the cord - especially with U-Verse. Unless they have recently changed their policy, you are limited to a maximum of 250GB of total bandwidth content per month. If you go completely pay-tv free, you can eat this up a lot faster than you think.

You may want to try it for a couple of weeks to see how much bandwidth you eat up before cancelling the TV portion. AT&T has bandwidth monitors on their website that you can check to monitor your usage.

We used to have U-Verse and cancelled them specifically because of that limitation. It wasn't fair to have paid for the internet service and then have them come back and say that they were going to start limiting the amount that we could use without any corresponding decrease in charges. We switched to TWC which still offers unlimited internet plans.

mscriv

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas
The Apple TV is a great device for accessing content like Hulu, Netflix, iTunes, and other stuff. However, if you are a sports fan you might want to reconsider cutting the cord. Sports are not yet fully supported for internet consumption. So, if you enjoy live sports then cutting the cord will limit you to just what you can get over the air.

Last edited:

macdragonfl

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale,Fl
The Bose system will be no problem but you may have to have adapters to do the sound depending on the age. If your system has digital in or Hdmi your ok. If analog you will need a digital to analog converter. You can buy on Amazon for about 20.00 including shipping. In one of my bedrooms I used one with a first generation Bose Cinemate system works great.

tawcat

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 3, 2011
Thanks for all the replies, I did not know about the ATT bw limitation. I'll check the Bose to see if has a hdmi outlet.

Still in the thought process about cutting the cord!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.