Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Akuadenia

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 11, 2013
my uncle will give his iphone to me. Its 2years at&t contract. He bought it at us apple store. And im living in indonesia. If i unlock it, how is the billing procedure? At&t will automatically stop the bill or will still auto debit my uncle's credit card until 2years to fulfill the contract? Sorry for the dumb question

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
It doesnt matter if you unlock your iphones and use it someplace else with a different carrier and different sim.
Your uncle is under contract and he can just use another phone with his simcard. If he closes the account and does not want to use AT&T any more then he will have to pay an early termination fee if he's still under contract.

Akuadenia

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 11, 2013
It doesnt matter if you unlock your iphones and use it someplace else with a different carrier and different sim.
Your uncle is under contract and he can just use another phone with his simcard. If he closes the account and does not want to use AT&T any more then he will have to pay an early termination fee if he's still under contract.

Thanks for the answer.. And do u know how much is the early termination fee? Or where i can get the info? I think he doesnt want to use at&t anymore..

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
Thanks for the answer.. And do u know how much is the early termination fee? Or where i can get the info? I think he doesnt want to use at&t anymore..

The ETF depends on how many months he got left on his contract.
He will need to call them and they will tell him the exact amount he will need to pay to end his contract.
After he pays the ETF then he can ask them to unlock the phone and you will be ready to use it with any sim card you want.

Akuadenia

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 11, 2013
The ETF depends on how many months he got left on his contract.
He will need to call them and they will tell him the exact amount he will need to pay to end his contract.
After he pays the ETF then he can ask them to unlock the phone and you will be ready to use it with any sim card you want.

If i unlock it via imei, not via at&t.. And my uncle will back to indonesia for good.. How if he dont pay the etf and just leave it back?

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
If i unlock it via imei, not via at&t.. And my uncle will back to indonesia for good.. How if he dont pay the etf and just leave it back?

If he just leaves and never pays his AT&T bill again or the ETF then it will impact his credit. And if he ever goes back to the US AT&T can file a civil lawsuit against him for the money owed plus interest and legal fees.

Akuadenia

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 11, 2013
If he just leaves and never pays his AT&T bill again or the ETF then it will impact his credit. And if he ever goes back to the US AT&T can file a civil lawsuit against him for the money owed plus interest and legal fees.

So, I guess thts a bad idea.. Hehe.. After i browsed few about ETF, its better to pay +-$325 and unlock it via at&t.. Am i right?

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
Yep, up to you or what he wants to do with his account.
Depending on how many months he has left on the 2 year agreement it could be less than $325.
Every month you're with them they take $10 off the ETF.
So if he's been under contract for 10 months for example his current ETF would be $225.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.