Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Feb 11, 2013, 09:55 PM   #1
kylera
macrumors 6502a
 
kylera's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Seoul
North Korea possibly blows up a nuke (merged)

One source out of many

Seismic activity detected at previous nuclear test site.

Maybe it's because I've been living in Seoul for too long, but it almost seems...ordinary now.
__________________
Current Macs: 2012 13" MBA | 2011 27" iMac | PowerBook G4 12" | eMac 700Mhz
Current iOS: iPad 4 3G 64GB | iPhone 4S 16GB
kylera is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 09:56 PM   #2
aziatiklover
macrumors 68020
 
aziatiklover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4
My body is ready! Lets go to north korea!
__________________
ppleholic
aziatiklover is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 05:32 AM   #3
andalusia
macrumors 68030
 
andalusia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Manchester, UK
I'm surprised there aren't more posts in this thread. What are people's thoughts?
__________________
Signature deleted.
andalusia is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 05:49 AM   #4
Hungry&Foolish
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Its puny economy and small diplomatic reach means the North struggles to win attention on the global stage - other than through nuclear tests and attacks on South Korea.
Hungry&Foolish is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 05:56 AM   #5
sammich
macrumors 601
 
sammich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Sarcasmville.
At least they apparently forewarned the powers that be that they were going to do it.

Also, I find it amusing that they said that as a result of the test there would be no last ecological impacts. It's in an area designated for tests (the road is called 'Nuclear Test Rd' by outsiders. Still, it's amusing that they're willing to irradiate their already fairly barren soil.

I'm going to be picky here, but is it me or is 'blowing up' a bomb a misnomer? The bomb is the thing doing the blowing.
__________________
Official MR IRC
Look at me, I'm own a bunch of things and everyone must know about every single one.
sammich is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 06:05 AM   #6
Hungry&Foolish
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
I don't get it. Every Tom,Dick and Harry want's a nuclear weapon which will reach the US. They will be wiped off from the face of the Earth, if, a big if, they dare do it.
Hungry&Foolish is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 06:10 AM   #7
andalusia
macrumors 68030
 
andalusia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Manchester, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hungry&Foolish View Post
I don't get it. Every Tom,Dick and Harry want's a nuclear weapon which will reach the US. They will be wiped off from the face of the Earth, if, a big if, they dare do it.
But are they thinking sanely? Or are they just arrogantly trying to warn others that they aren't to be messed with, regardless of whether they ever plan to use a nuke or not?
__________________
Signature deleted.
andalusia is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 06:18 AM   #8
Hungry&Foolish
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
We each one of us have such a short time on this beautiful planet with amazing people around us. Still some Arrogant and egoistic fools think.......Who the hell knows what they think.
Hungry&Foolish is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 11:52 AM   #9
dapetrun
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Western Pennsylvania
Send a message via Skype™ to dapetrun
North Korea's people are kept in the dark...

Talk about propaganda. The North Korean people are kept in the dark (literally too) about their countries achievements and endeavors. They think their leader is the greatest in the world because that is what they are told (by their government) thru their government controlled media. There is no freedom of speech in North Korea, no freedom at all. If govt protests were to ever break out in North Korea there would be a lot of dead North Koreans lying around the streets.
__________________
Good health is merely the slowest rate at which one can die.
dapetrun is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 11:52 AM   #10
whoknows87
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: S.Florida
N.Korea....

What is it with our news outlets ? you would think that news of the N.Korea conducting a Nuclear test would dominate the news, but nope not the case instead we are always fed BS and always Throwing Iran under the bus, a country that to this date we have no idea that they even have nukes or even working towards them just a bunch of lip service and false accusations by the US

So we pick on the little guys and helpless country in the name of spreading democracy and insuring the world security......... Afghanistan, Iraq? everyone knows Iraq and Afghanistan are no threat to anyone in the world, Iraq was to Kuwait but the sanctions placed afterwards have truly crippled the country
Afghanistan? yeah just throw the word Taliban out and you have a blank check

Ridiculous how little the media allows us to know
__________________
Our knowledge has made us cynical,our cleverness hard and unkind.We think too much and feel too little:
More than machinery we need humanity;More than cleverness we need kindness and gentleness
whoknows87 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 11:55 AM   #11
Mr. McMac
macrumors 68020
 
Mr. McMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Long Island, New York
Is anyone really worried about North Korea? The USA could wipe them out in a second if they ever use one, and they know it...
__________________
Mid 2011 Mac Mini, 2.3 GHz, 8GB of RAM, 500 GB HD, 2 TB external HD, 46" Samsung Display, 4th gen iPod Shuffle
Custom built Windows 7 PC, Asus ChromeBox, 2nd gen Nexus 7, (2) Roku 3's
Mr. McMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 11:58 AM   #12
SilentPanda
Moderator emeritus
 
SilentPanda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: The Bamboo Forest
http://www.cnn.com/2013/02/11/world/...html?hpt=hp_t2

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2013/02...weaponization/

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headline...-was-analysis/

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-202_162-...-aimed-at-u.s/

http://tv.msnbc.com/2013/02/12/north...ear-bomb-test/

On the front page of all these sites.
__________________
My 24 hour web cam! ʕノᴥʔノ ︵ ┻━┻
And remember.
SilentPanda is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 12:02 PM   #13
GermanyChris
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Here
While I agree in principle what would you have us do? Start WWIII. Hostile action taken against N. Korea would be meet with Chinese forces. Once that was done that'd drag in the better part of Asia, with potential to play with the Russians and a decent part of the Muslim world as Muslim Asia get drug into the conflict.

I also believe that China is the largest holder of US debt which poses it's own unique challenges.
GermanyChris is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 12:20 PM   #14
webbuzz
macrumors 6502a
 
webbuzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanyChris View Post
While I agree in principle what would you have us do? Start WWIII. Hostile action taken against N. Korea would be meet with Chinese forces. Once that was done that'd drag in the better part of Asia, with potential to play with the Russians and a decent part of the Muslim world as Muslim Asia get drug into the conflict.

I also believe that China is the largest holder of US debt which poses it's own unique challenges.
China has condemned the test

China is the largest foreign holder of U.S.debt, slightly more than Japan. It is the third largest holder of U.S. debt. The Federal Reserve and Social Security hold the most debt.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. McMac View Post
Is anyone really worried about North Korea? The USA could wipe them out in a second if they ever use one, and they know it...
If they ever use one, the United States, and the world for that matter, will have a much larger issue than us wiping them out.
webbuzz is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 12:22 PM   #15
GermanyChris
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Here
Quote:
Originally Posted by webbuzz View Post
China has condemned the test

China is the largest foreign holder of U.S.debt, slightly more than Japan. It is the third largest holder of U.S. debt. The Federal Reserve and Social Security hold the most debt.
China will condemn until US soldiers hit ground there. I disagree with my sister and my parents I'll even condemn them but if you open your mouth to them I break your nose. That's the condemnation we're dealing with.
GermanyChris is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 12:28 PM   #16
webbuzz
macrumors 6502a
 
webbuzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanyChris View Post
China will condemn until US soldiers hit ground there. I disagree with my sister and my parents I'll even condemn them but if you open your mouth to them I break your nose. That's the condemnation we're dealing with.
I agree completely, hopefully it doesn't ever come to that. However, I think China will put their thumb on Jim Jong-un in the short-term.
webbuzz is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 12:32 PM   #17
Technarchy
macrumors 68040
 
Technarchy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
I'm not going to worry about it till I get orders.

The South Koreans and Japanese need to manage this. If we aren't attacked directly, we should keep an eye on events, and be prepared, but not be the tip of the spear for what is clearly an Asia problem.
__________________
Steve Jobs, January 9th 2007, 10:44am: "We filed for over 200 patents for all the inventions in iPhone and we intend to protect them."
Technarchy is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 12:41 PM   #18
GermanyChris
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technarchy View Post
I'm not going to worry about it till I get orders.

The South Koreans and Japanese need to manage this. If we aren't attacked directly, we should keep an eye on events, and be prepared, but not be the tip of the spear for what is clearly an Asia problem.
The can't, if the Japanese try to say anything it will look as they are trying to better their position on the islands. The president spent a good part of last year recommitting us to our allies in Asia. We (US and Allies) cannot do anything it's going to take a Russia or someone along those lines to do it. The there is the problem of Russia feeds europe through Gazprom most of it's fossil fuels.
GermanyChris is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 12:46 PM   #19
whoknows87
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: S.Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanyChris View Post
While I agree in principle what would you have us do? Start WWIII. Hostile action taken against N. Korea would be meet with Chinese forces. Once that was done that'd drag in the better part of Asia, with potential to play with the Russians and a decent part of the Muslim world as Muslim Asia get drug into the conflict.

I also believe that China is the largest holder of US debt which poses it's own unique challenges.
I want us to be involved in no wars at all, my point was the media loves to scare us with Iran this Iran that and it's not even a real threat at ALL, They love to mention how Ahmedninjad said he Would wipe Israel Out ( He never said those exact words , couple of investigations on that matter said it was a translation error , but who knows? if there is an Enemy worth of our attention it's North Korea, a State that flat out said we are conducting this test to pretty much shut the Americans up and that America needs to tone it down a bit

if We just mind our business we would be just fine, but the US hardly does that...
__________________
Our knowledge has made us cynical,our cleverness hard and unkind.We think too much and feel too little:
More than machinery we need humanity;More than cleverness we need kindness and gentleness
whoknows87 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 12:50 PM   #20
Technarchy
macrumors 68040
 
Technarchy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanyChris View Post
The can't, if the Japanese try to say anything it will look as they are trying to better their position on the islands. The president spent a good part of last year recommitting us to our allies in Asia. We (US and Allies) cannot do anything it's going to take a Russia or someone along those lines to do it. The there is the problem of Russia feeds europe through Gazprom most of it's fossil fuels.
Truth be told, I don't care who owns it, but it shouldn't be the United States unless we are attacked. If Japan or South Korea fear for their safety they need to take action. If that is too scary politically, then it sucks to be them. They will need to modify their diplomacy standards or be willing to war.

Either way, the Asians need to sort this out.
__________________
Steve Jobs, January 9th 2007, 10:44am: "We filed for over 200 patents for all the inventions in iPhone and we intend to protect them."
Technarchy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 01:10 PM   #21
GermanyChris
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Here
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoknows87 View Post
I want us to be involved in no wars at all, my point was the media loves to scare us with Iran this Iran that and it's not even a real threat at ALL, They love to mention how Ahmedninjad said he Would wipe Israel Out ( He never said those exact words , couple of investigations on that matter said it was a translation error , but who knows? if there is an Enemy worth of our attention it's North Korea, a State that flat out said we are conducting this test to pretty much shut the Americans up and that America needs to tone it down a bit

if We just mind our business we would be just fine, but the US hardly does that...
Isolationism isn't the answer it didn't work in 1914 and 1936-39. Proactive thoughtful foreign policy will though to include not selling debt to antagonistic foreign powers, not being hypocritical with various human rights violators, and keep our home economy strong.

Winning the cold war was one of the worst things to happen to America this century. It removed the natural balance of power in the world and left us without definition. The GWOT was an attempt to replace the USSR but NGO's simply are not powerful enough to pose a real threat especially long term. Every country needs a nation enemy we don't have one, and we're really to big to acquire one.

The question is how does America lead, not do we want to because that's not an option. We as a nation will have to decide that.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technarchy View Post
Truth be told, I don't care who owns it, but it shouldn't be the United States unless we are attacked. If Japan or South Korea fear for their safety they need to take action. If that is too scary politically, then it sucks to be them. They will need to modify their diplomacy standards or be willing to war.

Either way, the Asians need to sort this out.
Japan goes to war so does the US, its that simple.
GermanyChris is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 02:21 PM   #22
ugahairydawgs
macrumors 68020
 
ugahairydawgs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Anytime I think of North Korea's nuclear program this is the only thing that comes to mind.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Upt7ZTvcriY
ugahairydawgs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 03:36 PM   #23
Renzatic
In Time-Out
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Who puts the washers in the woods?
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanyChris View Post
China will condemn until US soldiers hit ground there. I disagree with my sister and my parents I'll even condemn them but if you open your mouth to them I break your nose. That's the condemnation we're dealing with.
Eh. Not quite. China and North Korea aren't exactly on the best terms with each other. NK does something that severely pisses them off every other day, it seems.

If NK were to launch a nuke against Japan, the most likely response from China would be for them to throw their hands up and declare themselves neutral in the matter. Like in the other Asia war thread I posted in a few months back, I think it's very doubtful they'll do anything to raise the ire of the west. They might be willing to toe the line and play the politics game to the utmost extreme, but they're not idiots. NK launching a nuke against another country would enrage the entire world, and China knows the resulting ****storm wouldn't be one they'd be able to play to their advantage. They're more likely to step back and cut ties than they are to start lending troops to the cause of a blatant aggressor.
Renzatic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 03:39 PM   #24
GermanyChris
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
Eh. Not quite. China and North Korea aren't exactly on the best terms with each other. NK does something that severely pisses them off every other day, it seems.

If NK were to launch a nuke against Japan, the most likely response from China would be for them to throw their hands up and declare themselves neutral in the matter. Like in the other Asia war thread I posted in a few months back, I think it's very doubtful they'll do anything to raise the ire of the west. They might be willing to toe the line and play the politics game to the utmost extreme, but they're not idiots. NK launching a nuke against another country would enrage the entire world, and China knows the resulting ****storm wouldn't be one they'd be able to play to their advantage. They're more likely to step back and cut ties than they are to start lending troops to the cause of a blatant aggressor.
We'll have to disagree on that one..

If they don't do anything the loose the ability to do anything in the future. If you don't use the stick the stick isn't scary.
GermanyChris is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 03:40 PM   #25
skunk
macrumors Demi-God
 
skunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Republic of Ukistan
Quote:
Originally Posted by andalusia View Post
Or are they just arrogantly trying to warn others that they aren't to be messed with, regardless of whether they ever plan to use a nuke or not?
What makes them arrogant and us not?
__________________
"The louder he talked of his honor, the faster we counted the spoons." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
skunk is offline   2 Reply With Quote


Reply
MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Nuke That Fell Off B52 in 1961 Almost Exploded in North Carolina. Huntn Current Events 11 Sep 29, 2013 01:07 PM
Apple in North Korea kylera Picture Gallery 74 Apr 17, 2013 03:27 AM
Samsung and Tension in South/North Korea Wicked1 Apple, Industry and Internet Discussion 3 Apr 8, 2013 02:41 PM
North Korea's only iMac needfx Politics, Religion, Social Issues 2 Apr 5, 2013 07:43 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:37 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC