Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Site and Forum Feedback

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 29, 2014, 01:59 PM   #1
aristobrat
macrumors Demi-God
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Virginia Beach
How is the "Common Sense" rule moderated?

I have a question about general moderation.

Rule #11 of the Minor Problems section of Forum Rules reads:

"11. Common sense. In the end, use common sense. When you are about to post messages just to increase your post count, or post something you think is funny at someone else's expense, think to yourself "Is this annoying?" If the answer is yes, don't do it."

Although the specific examples listed were "post count" and "posting at someone else's expense", it seems to me that it ends with the clear thought "If what you're posting is annoying, then don't do it".

Given that "annoying" is a subjective quality, I was curious about how this rule is enforced.

If a post or thread is reported for breaking this rule, is it the opinion of the Moderator who receives the report as to whether the post/thread breaks this rule?

Are reports tracked so that they can indicate trends?

Thanks
aristobrat is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2014, 06:12 PM   #2
Meister
macrumors Demi-God
 
Meister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
I think the mods discuss possible rule violations and take some sort of a majority vote.

I am also pretty sure that the chances of a post being classified as a rule violation increase with the number of members complaining about the post. The moderation is never objective. Everything is subjective anyway.
__________________
Meister is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2014, 09:02 PM   #3
aristobrat
Thread Starter
macrumors Demi-God
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Virginia Beach
I guess the disconnect I've been noticing happens when forum members are lodging their complaints as replies in the thread, which then get (rightfully) removed by Moderators.

Not sure what the solution to that is. Surely posting in the thread reminding people to use the Report button instead of just replying isn't the best way.
aristobrat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2014, 10:57 PM   #4
7thson
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Six Rivers, CA
If it's showing signs of or has gone thermonuclear, a mod will shut things down for a bit and clean out the cruft. I suspect the mods...oops caught myself there. The mods are all knowing and all powerful.
7thson is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2014, 03:51 AM   #5
AlecZ
macrumors 6502a
 
AlecZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Berkeley, CA
It seems to be that if something gets reported too many times, they'll likely consider it a bad post by common sense. Then they'll remove all replies to that post.
__________________
I'm a programmer (Unix-based) and a student at UC Berkeley.
PC: MacPro3,1 (OS X 10.9.x, Debian) | Server: Macmini3,1 (Mac OS X Server 10.6.x, FreeBSD) | Phone: iPhone7,2 (iOS 8.x)
AlecZ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2014, 06:35 AM   #6
SandboxGeneral
macrumors P6
 
SandboxGeneral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Embarking On A New Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by aristobrat View Post
I have a question about general moderation.

Rule #11 of the Minor Problems section of Forum Rules reads:

"11. Common sense. In the end, use common sense. When you are about to post messages just to increase your post count, or post something you think is funny at someone else's expense, think to yourself "Is this annoying?" If the answer is yes, don't do it."

Although the specific examples listed were "post count" and "posting at someone else's expense", it seems to me that it ends with the clear thought "If what you're posting is annoying, then don't do it".

Given that "annoying" is a subjective quality, I was curious about how this rule is enforced.

If a post or thread is reported for breaking this rule, is it the opinion of the Moderator who receives the report as to whether the post/thread breaks this rule?

Are reports tracked so that they can indicate trends?

Thanks
We do our best to enforce the rules as laid out with regards to post reports. Many times a report will come in which isn't so black & white and more in the gray area. Then we discuss it using our best judgment to decide whether something is over-the-line or not. Sometimes, we have to try to be mind readers to determine a members intent, i.e., are they really trolling or is it just their passionate opinion.

All reports are saved so that should a question come up later about it or the members involved, we can go back to it for information.
__________________
SandboxGeneral is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2014, 06:41 AM   #7
maflynn
Moderator
 
maflynn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Boston
Quote:
Originally Posted by aristobrat View Post
I guess the disconnect I've been noticing happens when forum members are lodging their complaints as replies in the thread, which then get (rightfully) removed by Moderators.

Not sure what the solution to that is. Surely posting in the thread reminding people to use the Report button instead of just replying isn't the best way.
Members who report a post and then respond in the thread to that reported post certainly create more work for the moderation team. We try our best to get the word out to use the report button and not to respond to posts they suspect that are rules violations.
__________________
~Mike Flynn
maflynn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2014, 08:08 AM   #8
grahamperrin
macrumors 68020
 
grahamperrin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: 174 Dead Stoat Road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandboxGeneral View Post
All reports are saved so that should a question come up later about it or the members involved, we can go back to it for information.
Smart. Thanks. That answers a question that appeared for a while elsewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maflynn View Post
Members who report a post and then respond in the thread to that reported post certainly create more work for the moderation team.
I've been guilty of that on maybe a handful of occasions.

Sorry (and thanks to whoever silently dealt with the extra work from one particular incident I can't imagine anything like that recurring).
grahamperrin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2014, 08:56 AM   #9
Septembersrain
macrumors 6502a
 
Septembersrain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Texas
Common sense isn't very common. That's why it's the opinion of a collective that'll dictate just how that should be ruled. Like a jury pretty much.
Septembersrain is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2015, 01:22 PM   #10
annk
Administrator
 
annk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Somewhere over the rainbow
We try to do as little as possible, but as much as necessary.

That is, we don't want to interfere, but rather contribute to keep discussions going. So often, if we're not sure, we'll leave the post or comment in question alone, and perhaps just keep an eye on how things develop.
annk is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2015, 01:53 PM   #11
The Doctor11
macrumors 68040
 
The Doctor11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by maflynn View Post
Members who report a post and then respond in the thread to that reported post certainly create more work for the moderation team. We try our best to get the word out to use the report button and not to respond to posts they suspect that are rules violations.
Aw ****. I'm sincerely sorry for every time I reported someone and then responded to it.
__________________
iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, Apple TV, Airport Express
Whoever said tech would replace paper hasn't tried wiping their ass with an iPad.
Please subscribe to me on YouTube
The Doctor11 is offline   0 Reply With Quote


Reply
MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Site and Forum Feedback

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:16 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2015, MacRumors.com, LLC