Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Feb 12, 2013, 06:03 AM   #1
DLG
macrumors newbie

Digital Magazine vs. Website on iPad

Is there any benefit to subscribing to a digital magazine versus going to the corresponding website?

Dan
DLG is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 06:12 AM   #2
jabingla2810
macrumors 65816

I stopped buying magazines like Stuff and T3 because websites like TheVerge offer much better information and articles.

Same for gaming, websites like IGN and Polygon have made magazines obsolete to me.

I find some magazines, like T3 for example, have writers that know less about the products than I do myself, making their opinions meaningless to me.

Thats what i've found anyway.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 10:26 AM   #3
zhenya
macrumors 68030

The benefit of a magazine is that it provides a curated selection of content arranged in such a way that it will likely entice you to read things that you would not necessarily search out on a website.

I go to websites for the most up-to-date information, and I read magazines for more detailed articles about a wider variety of content.

Engadget, which I actually don't like much as a website, actually has a decent free magazine available in the app store called Distro. Worth a look.
zhenya is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 10:46 AM   #4
AdonisSMU
macrumors 68030

Web Site! People just need to adjust the fonts to be 16 pixel base font sizes rather than 12 pixel fonts.
AdonisSMU is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 11:28 AM   #5
ucfgrad93
macrumors G5

I haven't purchased a magazine for years. My vote would be for website.
ucfgrad93 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 12:39 PM   #6
WilliamLondon
macrumors 68000

I recently subscribed to a trial subscription of the Economist (1 for 13 weeks I think) and have found that their digital magazine is excellent, it's like I'm reading the paper version. I probably won't continue the subscription, because you can get Calibre to fetch RSS feeds and arrange them into an eBook (with table of contents) for free which you can read on your iPad (Kindle app is where I read these because you can automate it and have Calibre email it on a schedule) - they'll do it for most sites, magazines, newspapers, news sites, while not as good as a digital version of a magazine, free is a great price to pay for something that's still pretty good.
WilliamLondon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 12:59 PM   #7
macrumors regular

It really depends, sometimes there are exclusives to the magazines, but mostly these days the content is already out of date by the time the magzine even gets printed. I remember borrowing the latest issue of pcgamer, and some the articles I read I have already read already. But others seems to be exlucisive to the issue.
Avatarshark is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 08:19 PM   #8
HazyCloud
macrumors 68030

While I love getting news and reviews from websites, I continue to subscribe to Rolling Stone, Macworld and Mad Magazine. I really enjoy having articles and reviews in a magazine type format.

I also use Flipboard and have tried Editions, but sometimes you can't beat a good ol' magazine.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 02:40 PM   #9
charlituna
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLG View Post
Is there any benefit to subscribing to a digital magazine versus going to the corresponding website?

Dan
depends on the magazine and the website.

Some websites are little more than the same content from the magazine so it's just a matter of your preference and perhaps if you want to be able to read it offline.

Some websites are bigger collections of information with the magazine being the top items of the site, in which case the website is better. Either directly or using something like Flipboard where you can 'magazine' your own selections in terms of topics, site sections etc. So then the only question left is if the content from the magazine is also on the site or not.
charlituna is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad