Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fireball Dragon

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 26, 2012
Chigwell, England
I know this has been well covered on many sites, but I just wanted to get your opinion on which you prefer as an ereader, overall?

The iPad is very convenient for short journeys, where I have the ability to quickly respond to messages and chek train times when reading. However, I still prefer the paperwhite for long reading sessions, as it is much more comfortable for my eyes.

What are your thoughts? Do you use both mini and paperwhite, or prefer a single device?

mrschanah

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2012
I use the kindle paperwhite as it is specifically built for ebooks. Plus, the battery lasts longer on it than the ipad

ditzy

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2007
If what you're looking for is an ereader and nothing else the paperwhite is the best choice. It's specifically designed to be an ereader.

mpayne2k

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2010
I have an iPad Mini, but when on a road trip I prefer my Kindle Touch as it is easier to read in the day time. The iPad has to be cranked up in brightness and typically has too much reflection to read for a long time. With the Kindle I find myself pointing it towards the light and it looks even better!

MVallee

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2007
Ontario, Canada
I had a Kindle (the keyboard one) and it worked well for reading but I switched to my iPad (full size) and don't regret it.

I was considering getting upgrading to the paperwhite and I already had an iPad. I tried reading a few books on the iPad to see how I liked it before I bought another Kindle. I really liked it. I use the sepia theme and lower the brightness and I don't find it hurts my eyes at all. If I can look at a computer screen all day, reading for a few hours doesn't hurt. Also I really like voiceover for reading when I'm doing something boring like dishes, plus I can sync with my phone so when I'm out I have my books with me and I find I read alot more now.

I considered getting a Mini since its a bit better suited as an e-reader but I'll stick with my iPad 4 for now and see what the next generation brings.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
I have a Kindle Keyboard for reading and I love it. It is lighter, smaller, and less expensive than an iPad mini. The battery will last me about 3 weeks on a single charge.

Last edited:

XR7CAT

macrumors member
Feb 29, 2012
North Dakota
I have an iPad mini and Kindle keyboard. Durning the day I prefer the kindle, less glare and no interruptions.

I do enjoy reading on on the iPad mini as well, but feel it is better for other media consumption.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I opted for the iPad mini because it offers more then just a book reader.

with that said, if your single primary goal is for a product to read then the kindle paperwhite is a superior device. I think the battery, form factor, and display quality all are better then the iPad because the kindle does one thing and one thing extremely well.

With that said for me, I chose the mini because I have a number of books from iBooks, I wanted a device to surf and email as well. So while reading is my primary purpose other usages were on my list so the mini made more sense (for me).

poloponies

Suspended
May 3, 2010
It's still pretty subjective. For example, my son wanted to replace his Kindle with the Paperwhite and I encouraged him to check out the iPad Mini. He loves it and enjoys reading on it. I've been reading on my iPads almost exclusively for 3 years and only use my Kindle at poolside. I don't share the complaints that some people have, but it's ultimately your call.

yegon

macrumors 68040
Oct 20, 2007
Paperwhite does one thing extremely well, arguably best in class. Mini does same thing reasonably well plus a tonne of other stuff.

I have both, prefer reading books on PW for two reasons - kinder on my eyes and zero distractions. iPad, you're a couple of presses away from Internet, emails, games, video, podcasts. PW makes me focus.

mostlynameless

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2008
I should've returned my Paperwhite because of screen issues, so I'm probably biased. But, I prefer the mini for most reading.

That said, the PW is nicer for outdoor reading and has awesome battery life.

iThinkergoiMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2010
Terra
As an ereader, the Paperwhite takes the cake, no contest.

If I had to choose between just one or the other, it would be the iPad mini, no contest.

Amplelink

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2012
I've read countless books on my iPad mini. My paperwhite is catching dust somewhere in the apartment, no idea where.

I like my tech feeling like it's relatively recent. The paperwhite, as high tech as e-ink screens are, just feels like I'm still stuck in the last millennium. Screen refresh rates are slow, it's so hard to quickly flip through pages, even harder to scroll through your list of books.

shyam09

macrumors 68020
Oct 31, 2010
I got the paperwhite as an ereader since I didn't want to carry books with me, but at the same time I kept all those ebooks on my iPad too in case I ever wanted to read them. Bottom Line: I still prefer those hard books, mainly because I flip through the pages a lot and an ereader isn't suitable for that.

I definitely use my Paperwhite when it comes to reading normally, but it has been a few weeks since I used my Paperwhite.

btw i have an iPad 3, so not exactly what you're asking, but I'm basing my response on the screen rather than the weight

LaurieAnn

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2011
eInk is much easier on my eyes than a back lit LCD screen for book reading. I own a Kindle Touch, a Kindle Keyboard, and an iPad Mini.

koigirl

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2011
Raleigh, NC
If I could only have one, it would be the iPad hands down. The Kindle is great for outdoor and beach reading. I have the Keyboard and would love a Paperwhite 3G but I think the $179 price is way too high for a dedicated e-reader in 2013. I like 3G so I can download books anywhere. I'm waiting for a price drop to upgrade to Paperwhite. If it's either/or, the iPad is way more versatile.

phineas

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2006
South of the Border I-95
Thoughts

Granted the PW is designed more for the different lighting that a user may be in , I was thinking that maybe there was a stick on screen for any of the ipads that may help?

I know I'm on the fence about the mini and currently have the nexus 7 HSPA which for the most part is really nice.

My son has a PW and the screen for me is just too small.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.