Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Feb 5, 2013, 09:32 PM   #1
NewAnger
Banned

iTunes 11.0.1 Show Play Counts?

Other than in playlists, how do I view play counts in iTunes? I can't seem to find a way to show them anymore. I used to have the play count column in the old iTunes versions.
NewAnger is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 09:01 AM   #2
c-Row
macrumors 65816

Send a message via ICQ to c-Row
It's still there in title view - have you tried right-clicking on the header column? All the other "column-less" views don't support it of course.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 09:04 AM   #3
sammich
macrumors 601

FYI the column is called 'Plays' now. I had to look down the list a couple times.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 10:13 AM   #4
Ledgem
macrumors 65816

Don't be surprised if some of your play counts have been reset. I had a few albums with hundreds of listens on the songs, and some (but not all) had the play count completely reset. The "last play" date wasn't reset, though. I don't know what caused it or why, and I discovered it too late to make restoring my old iTunes database worthwhile. In the grand scheme of things, it's not a big deal. I don't know if it's still happening or if it was a one-time thing when upgrading from iTunes 10 to iTunes 11.

I found a few other discussions of other users having the same issue, but I hope it isn't a widespread thing.
Ledgem is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 09:47 AM   #5
randy98mtu
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
Don't be surprised if some of your play counts have been reset. I had a few albums with hundreds of listens on the songs, and some (but not all) had the play count completely reset. The "last play" date wasn't reset, though. I don't know what caused it or why, and I discovered it too late to make restoring my old iTunes database worthwhile. In the grand scheme of things, it's not a big deal. I don't know if it's still happening or if it was a one-time thing when upgrading from iTunes 10 to iTunes 11.

I found a few other discussions of other users having the same issue, but I hope it isn't a widespread thing.
I think it is widespread. I pulled my oldest backup (unfortunately only December when i got my new Mini) and it has then current counts for about 40 of my 80 or so messed up songs. When I opened that library on another computer, my playcounts showed up and immediately reset to 0. It seems to be related to metadata changing. I turned off my WiFi on my second computer, opened iTunes and unchecked the thing about show purchases under the store tab. After that I turned WiFi back on and opened iTunes again and the song I was watching didn't get reset this time. Back on my Mini, after unchecking the show purchases, now if I click on one of the songs with a reset playcount, some metadata will change back to what I changed it to many moons ago.

I agree it's not the end of the world, but I use playcounts for smart playlists and such. I have grown proud of my library with all of my play history going back 6 years plus. I am pretty much done using iTunes store at this point, as CD's I imported and tagged myself haven't gotten messed with at all.
randy98mtu is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store