Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dimme

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 14, 2007
SF, CA
My boss ask me to set up a backup for the two office computers (XP). I was going to setup Linux on a older PC we had laying around and add a 2TB drive, but it needs to be simple so others could use it. Does any one have experience with WD My Book Live 2TB Personal Cloud? Would you recommend it for a backup drive.

aarond12

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2002
Dallas, TX USA
Wow. Time to upgrade from XP. But yes, if you don't care that much about speed or simultaneous users, the WD MyBook Live drives are acceptable. Nothing more, nothing less.

If you can get the backups to run at different times (not all at once!), you'll be much happier. Do not expect to saturate Gigabit Ethernet or even 100-Base-T. Your backup speeds will likely be far less than 10MB/second.

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
Consider getting a Synology DS112j NAS instead. It'll do everything the WD mybook will do plus Synology will support it long after Western Digital's forgotten about it.

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
I have a WD My Book Live, works brilliantly with macs.

I believe the setup requires one or two more steps with a pc, but that's about it.

+1 for WD
+1 for synology ( they make some sweet stuff ).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.