Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Feb 12, 2013, 08:15 AM   #1
Alundra
macrumors regular

Do Black iPad Minis still have a easily scuff/scratch issue?

So I've ordered a black Ipad Mini, but now I'm reading online about the issues the black version has with scuffs and scratches revealing with almost no tear and wear, and even for people who use capes/cases.

I'm starting to regret not having chosen the white version.

Is there someone here who has a black Ipad and its still in pristine condition?

also If you have one and it has revealed scuffs how bad is it?

Thanks!

Last edited by Alundra; Feb 12, 2013 at 08:26 AM.
Alundra is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 08:21 AM   #2
mpayne2k
macrumors 6502a

Mine has yet to scratch, peel, crack, or any such thing. I doubt for those that had issues it magically went away.

I think it is more about how you take care of the iPad. I've used it sans case many times and never feared it scuffing or chipping.

Last edited by mpayne2k; Feb 12, 2013 at 08:22 AM. Reason: changed a word, that is all, are you still reading this?
mpayne2k is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 08:39 AM   #3
Alundra
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpayne2k View Post
Mine has yet to scratch, peel, crack, or any such thing. I doubt for those that had issues it magically went away.

I think it is more about how you take care of the iPad. I've used it sans case many times and never feared it scuffing or chipping.
I asked if the issue continues because they could have fixed it in recent manufacturing.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 09:05 AM   #4
TimUSCA
macrumors 6502

I don't have a case on mine, and there are still zero scratches or scuffs on it. Nothing to worry about.
TimUSCA is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 10:39 AM   #5
XR7CAT
macrumors newbie

I just got my mini and have taken it everywhere. Still do not have any scratches or scuff marks.

I will be putting it in a case this week however as I want to keep it looking good and do more outside with it this summer.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 10:46 AM   #6
Jessica Lares
macrumors 603

Same here, no issue, and I got mine on release. And I even took mine outside to take pictures while it was snowing, literally. Looks brand new still.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 10:51 AM   #7
Borjan
macrumors regular

I have a launch day model, and haven't noticed a problem with scuffs, even though I take it in and out of the case every so often. In fact, I was really impressed with whatever material apple made this out of.

Where are you seeing these reports? Can I see a link? I do not recall this being a problem that was reported.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 11:00 AM   #8
Infinite Jest
macrumors regular

Did they use different process or material than the iPhone, because my sister's black iPhone 5 is nicked to hell around the bezel.
Infinite Jest is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 11:01 AM   #9
Alundra
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borjan View Post
I have a launch day model, and haven't noticed a problem with scuffs, even though I take it in and out of the case every so often. In fact, I was really impressed with whatever material apple made this out of.

Where are you seeing these reports? Can I see a link? I do not recall this being a problem that was reported.
It's all over the web in Ipad Mini white vs black comparison videos/articles.

Search the web and you will find it.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 12:09 PM   #10
mpayne2k
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alundra View Post
It's all over the web in Ipad Mini white vs black comparison videos/articles.

Search the web and you will find it.
Sure, because everything on the web makes it so, right?

No really, unless you're prone to dropping your new iPad or have sandpaper hands, you'll be fine. The black is awesome looking! I hope you enjoy your iPad and don't stress too much if it gets a nick here or there, seriously!
mpayne2k is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 12:15 PM   #11
rockyroad55
macrumors 68040

Launch day mini here. Couple of nicks but that's general wear and tear. No marks on the back
rockyroad55 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 12:28 PM   #12
bufffilm
macrumors 6502

Quote:
I asked if the issue continues because they could have fixed it in recent manufacturing.
Apple hasn't officially or unoffically acknowledged that there is a problem beyond normal wear-n-tear. as far as they're concerned, there is *nothing* to fix.

IOW, you're waiting for something that ain't happening.
bufffilm is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 01:07 PM   #13
GreatDrok
macrumors 6502

Bought a white one for this very reason, and I thought it looked more 'Apple'y than the black. Have a black full size but just liked the white and I have a white phone too and both are in matching red cases which I also like.

Seen too many iPhone 5's scratched all to hell to go that route but at least with black a dab of paint would sort it out.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 01:11 PM   #14
tonyy
macrumors 6502

Bought another black mini for my wife last night. Perfect condition.
tonyy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 01:44 PM   #15
BeeJee
macrumors 6502

Quote:
So I've ordered a black Ipad Mini, but now I'm reading online about the issues the black version has with scuffs and scratches revealing with almost no tear and wear, and even for people who use capes/cases.

I'm starting to regret not having chosen the white version.

Is there someone here who has a black Ipad and its still in pristine condition?

also If you have one and it has revealed scuffs how bad is it?

Thanks!
If you like black then get black. There is no point in worrying about getting scuffs and marks on it if thats the color you like the look of more. I know people try to keep them nice for resale but just use it like the disposable device it is. As far as "fixing" the finish, there is nothing to fix, part of the downfall of anodized aluminum is its lack of abrasion resistance. Theres no doubt the sharp edges will wear down to the silver aluminum underneath but who gives a ****?
BeeJee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 01:46 PM   #16
ezbowers
macrumors newbie

Ehh

Quote:
Just like the 5 they are more prone to scratching but if you treat your devices with care y oushould not experience abnormal wear and tear
ezbowers is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 03:38 PM   #17
itsmefudge
macrumors member

Got mine on launch day as well. Still looks great. No scratches. I did put on one of those clear back shells just this past week, as I found on on Amazon for like $4. I like the feel without it, but my nephews play on it, and I wanted a little protection.
itsmefudge is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 04:16 PM   #18
AdonisSMU
macrumors 68000

They need to do sticky threads. These same questions keep coming up.
AdonisSMU is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 05:05 PM   #19
DaveOP
macrumors regular

This issue is pretty beyond dead. I've had a Black and Slate iPhone 5 naked since I got it, and it has a really, REALLY small little knick in the edge from where I dropped it, but it is not scuffed at all. I had a Mini for a few weeks before returning it, and it was naked as well, and had 0 scuffs. Just treat the devices right, they're made to last.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad