Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Alundra

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 31, 2012
So I've ordered a black Ipad Mini, but now I'm reading online about the issues the black version has with scuffs and scratches revealing with almost no tear and wear, and even for people who use capes/cases.

I'm starting to regret not having chosen the white version.

Is there someone here who has a black Ipad and its still in pristine condition?

also If you have one and it has revealed scuffs how bad is it?

Thanks!

Last edited:

mpayne2k

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2010
Mine has yet to scratch, peel, crack, or any such thing. I doubt for those that had issues it magically went away.

I think it is more about how you take care of the iPad. I've used it sans case many times and never feared it scuffing or chipping.

Last edited:

Alundra

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 31, 2012
Mine has yet to scratch, peel, crack, or any such thing. I doubt for those that had issues it magically went away.

I think it is more about how you take care of the iPad. I've used it sans case many times and never feared it scuffing or chipping.

I asked if the issue continues because they could have fixed it in recent manufacturing.

TimUSCA

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2006
Aiken, SC
I don't have a case on mine, and there are still zero scratches or scuffs on it. Nothing to worry about.

XR7CAT

macrumors member
Feb 29, 2012
North Dakota
I just got my mini and have taken it everywhere. Still do not have any scratches or scuff marks.

I will be putting it in a case this week however as I want to keep it looking good and do more outside with it this summer.

Borjan

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2004
I have a launch day model, and haven't noticed a problem with scuffs, even though I take it in and out of the case every so often. In fact, I was really impressed with whatever material apple made this out of.

Where are you seeing these reports? Can I see a link? I do not recall this being a problem that was reported.

Alundra

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 31, 2012
I have a launch day model, and haven't noticed a problem with scuffs, even though I take it in and out of the case every so often. In fact, I was really impressed with whatever material apple made this out of.

Where are you seeing these reports? Can I see a link? I do not recall this being a problem that was reported.

It's all over the web in Ipad Mini white vs black comparison videos/articles.

Search the web and you will find it.

mpayne2k

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2010
It's all over the web in Ipad Mini white vs black comparison videos/articles.

Search the web and you will find it.

Sure, because everything on the web makes it so, right?

No really, unless you're prone to dropping your new iPad or have sandpaper hands, you'll be fine. The black is awesome looking! I hope you enjoy your iPad and don't stress too much if it gets a nick here or there, seriously!

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
I asked if the issue continues because they could have fixed it in recent manufacturing.

Apple hasn't officially or unoffically acknowledged that there is a problem beyond normal wear-n-tear. as far as they're concerned, there is *nothing* to fix.

IOW, you're waiting for something that ain't happening.

GreatDrok

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2006
New Zealand
Bought a white one for this very reason, and I thought it looked more 'Apple'y than the black. Have a black full size but just liked the white and I have a white phone too and both are in matching red cases which I also like.

Seen too many iPhone 5's scratched all to hell to go that route but at least with black a dab of paint would sort it out.

BeeJee

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2011
Long Island/North Jersey
So I've ordered a black Ipad Mini, but now I'm reading online about the issues the black version has with scuffs and scratches revealing with almost no tear and wear, and even for people who use capes/cases.

I'm starting to regret not having chosen the white version.

Is there someone here who has a black Ipad and its still in pristine condition?

also If you have one and it has revealed scuffs how bad is it?

Thanks!

If you like black then get black. There is no point in worrying about getting scuffs and marks on it if thats the color you like the look of more. I know people try to keep them nice for resale but just use it like the disposable device it is. As far as "fixing" the finish, there is nothing to fix, part of the downfall of anodized aluminum is its lack of abrasion resistance. Theres no doubt the sharp edges will wear down to the silver aluminum underneath but who gives a ****?

ezbowers

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2013
Ehh

Just like the 5 they are more prone to scratching but if you treat your devices with care y oushould not experience abnormal wear and tear

itsmefudge

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2009
Middle of the Pacific
Got mine on launch day as well. Still looks great. No scratches. I did put on one of those clear back shells just this past week, as I found on on Amazon for like $4. I like the feel without it, but my nephews play on it, and I wanted a little protection.

DaveOP

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Portland, OR
This issue is pretty beyond dead. I've had a Black and Slate iPhone 5 naked since I got it, and it has a really, REALLY small little knick in the edge from where I dropped it, but it is not scuffed at all. I had a Mini for a few weeks before returning it, and it was naked as well, and had 0 scuffs. Just treat the devices right, they're made to last.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.