Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Old Feb 12, 2013, 08:11 AM   #1
pete78
macrumors member

Migration assistant from dead HD (2012 iMac), possible?

I have a maxed out 27 inch iMac with a dead HD that I am in the process of exchanging. I got the machine a couple of weeks ago. Upon receipt, I transferred all of the files/documents from my PC onto the iMac. After that, I went through the files to figure out the ones I didn't need and deleted those from my iMac; sort of a clean up process that took me hours to go through.

Now my busted iMac won't boot at all or if it does, I get the rainbow spinning icon and freezing; repair disk doesn't work (it says I have to reformat). In any event, is there anyway that, when I receive the new iMac, I can transfer the files from this busted iMac onto the new iMac using migration assistant? I could re-do the whole process using migration assistant with my PC, but then I would have to do the "clean-up process" all over again, either on my PC or after the stuff is transferred onto my new iMac. I would like to avoid that.

Thanks
pete78 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 08:17 AM   #2
JustMartin
macrumors 6502

Well, if you're busted iMac won't boot or freezes, I don' think there's any way that you can get it to stay up long enough for MA to do its job. And you are just going to run into problems every time it reads the faulty disk anyway. I would backup your PC now, and then do the cleanup on there while you wait for the new Mac. That would make the migration from the PC quicker when you do it.
JustMartin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 08:19 AM   #3
pete78
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMartin View Post
I would backup your PC now, and then do the cleanup on there while you wait for the new Mac. That would make the migration from the PC quicker when you do it.
I think that's what I'm going to do. Thanks.
pete78 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac