Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Feb 11, 2013, 06:22 PM   #1
Apollinariy
macrumors newbie

Word: line spacing problem from Mac to Windows

Hello friends,

I have a problem that's driving me up the wall. I have to use both a Mac and a Windows PC, and whenever I open a Word file in Windows that I have previously worked with on my Mac, I find that the spacing is messed up. Words would be jumbled together -- not all of them, but still enough to give me the extra work that I don't need. For example, "Peter Pan" in Mac would suddenly become "PeterPan" in Windows. It is extremely annoying, especially when you have to correct 20-30 pages at a time.

Curiously, it doesn't happen when I work with the same file in Windows and later open it in Mac.

There's got to be a formatting issue with my Word on my Mac. Any thoughts on how to fix it?

I'd really appreciate all and any help.

Thanks, folks.
Ap.
Apollinariy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 01:22 AM   #2
MisterMe
macrumors G4

You are dealing with differences between the font rendering in the Mac and Windows, and not a Word issue per se. Macs render fonts for accuracy. Windows fans claim that Windows renders fonts for readability.

As a Mac user who has often edits documents from Windows users, I have seen the issue that you are dealing with. I find that I often must correct common Windows formatting errors. These errors include extra spaces between words, spaces before periods and commas, and such like.
MisterMe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 08:33 AM   #3
Apollinariy
macrumors newbie

MisterMe,

Thank you for your response. So there is nothing that I can do -- is that the upshot?

I am worried because I have to submit my work via e-mail to other people. So if this is a Mac-Word issue--as I had previously thought but am no long sure, now that I have read your response--I am concerned that those using a Windows environment will open my Word attachments and see the word jumbling, which will look sloppy and reflect negatively on me.

I suppose the simple solution is to edit manually in a Word environment, but it is not only cumbersome but also difficult, since I may lose my PC in the near future and revert to using the Mac exclusively.

Any suggestions?
Many thanks,
A.
Apollinariy is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store