Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Feb 12, 2013, 08:48 AM   #1
Gregintosh
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Chicago
AppleCare plus cosmetic replacement

Hey, I was wondering if I can swap out my iPhone 5 via AppleCare plus if I have some dents from dropping it. The damage is all cosmetic for now but it's starting to bother me.

I'm willing to pay the $50 fee.

I'm just curious if they will let me do it if there's nothing wrong functionally with the phone.
__________________
Macbook Pro Retina & Apple Cinema Display, 16GB iPad Air with FREE T-Mobile LTE Access, iPhone 6 128GB.
Gregintosh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 09:24 AM   #2
barkomatic
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Manhattan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregintosh View Post
Hey, I was wondering if I can swap out my iPhone 5 via AppleCare plus if I have some dents from dropping it. The damage is all cosmetic for now but it's starting to bother me.

I'm willing to pay the $50 fee.

I'm just curious if they will let me do it if there's nothing wrong functionally with the phone.
Technically no. However, that doesn't mean they won't make an exception and swap it out for you anyway.
barkomatic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 09:27 AM   #3
BeeJee
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Long Island/North Jersey
Run over the phone with your car and put it on youtube, you will in turn receive enough views to pay for the replacement
BeeJee is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 09:34 AM   #4
dave420
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
I've been wondering the same thing about a 4S I have had since October 2011. I'd be interested to hear what other people's experiences have been.
I'm thinking of scheduling an appointment at the Genius bar to ask them about a replacement because the battery is starting to show its age after all this time. Would also be nice to get a replacement device that doesn't have small scratches all over the screen. I'd also be happy to pay the $50 replacement fee.
dave420 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 10:31 AM   #5
Givmeabrek
macrumors Demi-God
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NY
Normal wear and tear will not get you an Applecare replacement. The phone has to be damaged!!!
Givmeabrek is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 11:24 AM   #6
ihonda
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
take it in, ask for replacement if they refuse pick it up off the counter and let it slip out of your hand onto floor. pay $50. walk out
__________________
late-13 13.3" rMBP 8/256 | late-13 15.4" rMBP 8/256 | 2x white iphone 5S 32gb
selling history: ipod touch: j2048b | ipad 2: eternlgladiator | iphone 5: mrat93 | iphone 5: Filip
ihonda is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 11:33 AM   #7
MVRL
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Well, it covers accidents now, so submerge it in water and take it to the store
MVRL is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 12:03 PM   #8
cruzmisl
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
I don't understand why anyone would purposefully do an AppleCare replacement this early in the iphone 5's life. Use it as a phone and I'm sure a legitimate opportunity will eventually present itself.
cruzmisl is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 12:46 PM   #9
Gregintosh
Thread Starter
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzmisl View Post
I don't understand why anyone would purposefully do an AppleCare replacement this early in the iphone 5's life. Use it as a phone and I'm sure a legitimate opportunity will eventually present itself.
I'm abroad right now and I figure I'd do it when I get back in May. If something else happens then I still get one more replacement (with another $50 fee) as AppleCare+ covers two accidental damage claims.

By the end of the year I may get the next version and give this one to the wife (who will probably use a crazy case so any new cosmetic issues won't be a problem - she uses the survivor case on my old 4S right now).
__________________
Macbook Pro Retina & Apple Cinema Display, 16GB iPad Air with FREE T-Mobile LTE Access, iPhone 6 128GB.
Gregintosh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 01:30 PM   #10
MVRL
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregintosh View Post
I'm abroad right now and I figure I'd do it when I get back in May. If something else happens then I still get one more replacement (with another $50 fee) as AppleCare+ covers two accidental damage claims.

By the end of the year I may get the next version and give this one to the wife (who will probably use a crazy case so any new cosmetic issues won't be a problem - she uses the survivor case on my old 4S right now).
U could still transfer your remaining AppleCare+ plan to a newly purchased iPhone, if you are getting a 5S, that is
MVRL is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 04:39 PM   #11
JediMeister
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by MVRL View Post
U could still transfer your remaining AppleCare+ plan to a newly purchased iPhone, if you are getting a 5S, that is
Coverage does not transfer between phones unless its a service replacement. An upgrade would have to have a separate APP+ purchased for it. However, the OP could see about getting a pro-rated refund.
JediMeister is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
iPad: Can you take out Applecare+ after getting a replacement? allistera iPad 17 Jan 7, 2014 08:24 AM
Applecare replacement need help sulli26 MacBook Pro 9 Aug 25, 2013 07:29 PM
AppleCare+, the third replacement?! SAIRUS iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting 7 Jan 12, 2013 08:55 AM
Does AppleCare+ cover minor cosmetic damage? eliehass iPhone 11 Jun 19, 2012 10:36 PM
AppleCare+ for replacement iPhone 4S?? djn4eva iPhone 4 Jun 13, 2012 08:19 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:08 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC