Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Feb 12, 2013, 08:48 AM   #1
Gregintosh
macrumors 65816

AppleCare plus cosmetic replacement

Hey, I was wondering if I can swap out my iPhone 5 via AppleCare plus if I have some dents from dropping it. The damage is all cosmetic for now but it's starting to bother me.

I'm willing to pay the $50 fee.

I'm just curious if they will let me do it if there's nothing wrong functionally with the phone.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 09:24 AM   #2
barkomatic
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregintosh View Post
Hey, I was wondering if I can swap out my iPhone 5 via AppleCare plus if I have some dents from dropping it. The damage is all cosmetic for now but it's starting to bother me.

I'm willing to pay the $50 fee.

I'm just curious if they will let me do it if there's nothing wrong functionally with the phone.
Technically no. However, that doesn't mean they won't make an exception and swap it out for you anyway.
barkomatic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 09:27 AM   #3
BeeJee
macrumors 6502

Run over the phone with your car and put it on youtube, you will in turn receive enough views to pay for the replacement
BeeJee is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 09:34 AM   #4
dave420
macrumors 65816

I've been wondering the same thing about a 4S I have had since October 2011. I'd be interested to hear what other people's experiences have been.
I'm thinking of scheduling an appointment at the Genius bar to ask them about a replacement because the battery is starting to show its age after all this time. Would also be nice to get a replacement device that doesn't have small scratches all over the screen. I'd also be happy to pay the $50 replacement fee.
dave420 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 10:31 AM   #5
Givmeabrek
macrumors Demi-God

Normal wear and tear will not get you an Applecare replacement. The phone has to be damaged!!!
Givmeabrek is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 11:24 AM   #6
ihonda
macrumors 65816

take it in, ask for replacement if they refuse pick it up off the counter and let it slip out of your hand onto floor. pay $50. walk out
Old Feb 12, 2013, 11:33 AM   #7
MVRL
macrumors regular

Well, it covers accidents now, so submerge it in water and take it to the store
MVRL is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 12:03 PM   #8
cruzmisl
macrumors regular

I don't understand why anyone would purposefully do an AppleCare replacement this early in the iphone 5's life. Use it as a phone and I'm sure a legitimate opportunity will eventually present itself.
cruzmisl is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 12:46 PM   #9
Gregintosh
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzmisl View Post
I don't understand why anyone would purposefully do an AppleCare replacement this early in the iphone 5's life. Use it as a phone and I'm sure a legitimate opportunity will eventually present itself.
I'm abroad right now and I figure I'd do it when I get back in May. If something else happens then I still get one more replacement (with another $50 fee) as AppleCare+ covers two accidental damage claims.

By the end of the year I may get the next version and give this one to the wife (who will probably use a crazy case so any new cosmetic issues won't be a problem - she uses the survivor case on my old 4S right now).
Old Feb 12, 2013, 01:30 PM   #10
MVRL
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregintosh View Post
I'm abroad right now and I figure I'd do it when I get back in May. If something else happens then I still get one more replacement (with another $50 fee) as AppleCare+ covers two accidental damage claims.

By the end of the year I may get the next version and give this one to the wife (who will probably use a crazy case so any new cosmetic issues won't be a problem - she uses the survivor case on my old 4S right now).
U could still transfer your remaining AppleCare+ plan to a newly purchased iPhone, if you are getting a 5S, that is
MVRL is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 04:39 PM   #11
JediMeister
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVRL View Post
U could still transfer your remaining AppleCare+ plan to a newly purchased iPhone, if you are getting a 5S, that is
Coverage does not transfer between phones unless its a service replacement. An upgrade would have to have a separate APP+ purchased for it. However, the OP could see about getting a pro-rated refund.
JediMeister is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone