Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Feb 12, 2013, 01:13 PM   #26
e-coli
macrumors 68000

Only a matter of time before someone rips this off and people here start griping that Apple is "stifling innovation." I don't even see the point of patents anymore.
e-coli is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 01:14 PM   #27
ptb42
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by basesloaded190 View Post
Apparently it is. The US Patent office is a mess, but they aren't granting patents that would be so obviously similar to something that has been patented previously.
Being published in an ARRL handbook would constitute "prior art", not a prior patent.

However, patents are routinely granted when they are nothing but an improvement on an earlier patent. Incorporating a slot antenna into a computer and/or a cell phone would be considered patentable, separate from a slot antenna patent (or prior art).
ptb42 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 01:17 PM   #28
-jeffB
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiating View Post
So what happens when you drop your phone and damage the external slots?
That's what I'm wondering. If they're only microns wide, it seems like they'd be terribly prone to distortion from even slight stresses on the case. Maybe they'd have a stiff, nonconductive backing reinforcement?
-jeffB is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 01:18 PM   #29
Rogifan
macrumors G3

Reminds me of this story from a few years back

Apple's Supply Chain Secret: Hoard Lasers
Old Feb 12, 2013, 01:22 PM   #30
Sedrick
macrumors 68030

I've had one of those antennas in my rear car window for years...
Old Feb 12, 2013, 01:27 PM   #31
Azathoth
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post
Current devices may contain antennas for GSM, 3G/LTE, GPS, wifi and Bluetooth, though some of these may be combined. The iPhone 5, for example, uses just two antennas for the five functions, using rapid frequency switching to enable one antenna to do two jobs. Eliminating the need for internal antenna space altogether would, though, allow for slimmer and smaller devices.

Apple's interest in the possibility of implementing microslot antennas dates back to at least 2007 when the patent was filed, meaning that the concept may be requiring significant refinement before arriving in a shipping product or may have been scrapped entirely by this point. Still, it is clear that Apple is continuing to look for ways to handle the increasing complexity of wireless communications while maintaining its design goals for size and aesthetics.

Article Link: Apple Patents Nearly Invisible 'Microslot Antennas' Allowing for Smaller Devices
Some of the original patents for slot antennas date back to 1938. This particular implementation is not very novel, except the slot widths are less than I've used before (I've looked at 0.5mm designs previously). IIRC the efficiency goes down a bit with small slot widths (high Rrad i think). Loads of prior art on this.
Azathoth is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 01:29 PM   #32
lilo777
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-coli View Post
Only a matter of time before someone rips this off and people here start griping that Apple is "stifling innovation." I don't even see the point of patents anymore.
Like they ripped off Apple's current antenna design right? Oh wait, nobody did this because it's crappy. Becaus of this "great" design (at least partly) iPhone is the only LTE-enabled phone on Verizon that is uncapable of simultaneous voice and data transfer. The only reason for such design is Apple's preference for form over function. Nobody else does it.
lilo777 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 01:37 PM   #33
louis Fashion
macrumors 6502a

Does Size Matter?

Small antenna, small reception?

Just joking, it will work won't it?
Old Feb 12, 2013, 01:49 PM   #34
chrmjenkins
macrumors 603

I'm betting the directionality concerns would prohibit you from placing this in a conductive medium such as aluminum.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 01:54 PM   #35
Tiger8
macrumors 68000

iOS 7 FTW!
Tiger8 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 02:22 PM   #36
TheNextBigThing
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Retrofire View Post
So that you do not need your MBA/MBP AND your iPhone!? Tim Cook says: Nooooooooo!

;-)
Maybe 3-5 years from now, I'll not be bringing with me my broadband prepaid usb stick every-time I go out with my Macbook Pro. I mean, I have to insert the usb broadband connection, eject, insert, eject...

Year 2016: Inserting a broadband usb stick to your Mac is a thing of the past. 4G LTE, built-in on every Mac.
TheNextBigThing is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 02:30 PM   #37
mbh
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by testcard View Post
Microscopic slots = dust magnet.
Read the AppleInsider article. The slots can be filled in with another material like plastic or epoxy.
mbh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 02:50 PM   #38
tongxinshe
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxosx View Post
This is great news. It proves that Apple took Antennagate seriously & decided to learn to build high quality functional antennas. I wonder how long it will take for them to implement the new design.
You don’t read the content before posting, do you? This patent was filed back in 2007.
tongxinshe is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 03:02 PM   #39
chuckd83
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by -jeffB View Post
That's what I'm wondering. If they're only microns wide, it seems like they'd be terribly prone to distortion from even slight stresses on the case. Maybe they'd have a stiff, nonconductive backing reinforcement?
Quote:
They'll be filled with a dielectric material.
chuckd83 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 03:03 PM   #40
vazquez1085
macrumors member

Theres innovation for you fandroids out there
vazquez1085 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 03:27 PM   #41
mrtravel123
macrumors regular

Quote:
Patents ENCOURAGE innovation because they protect companies that spend their own dollars on R & D.

That patent helps companies recover R & D costs. Without that patent other companies would swoop in and steal that idea at zero expense.... which would prohibit the inventor from recouping their R & D costs. If you don't have that patent protection, there is NO incentive for a company to spend billions of dollars trying to invent the next wheel. Their R & D expenses would essentially bring zero profit for them.... and would allow copycat companies a free ride. This would all STIFLE innovation by reducing the amount spent on R & D. Patents actually protect companies that work hard to find something new. Without that protection their R & D is basically a free gift to their competitors.
mrtravel123 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 04:20 PM   #42
Meandmunch
macrumors 6502

You ever squint and try and see the tiny holes the pulsing light on your laptop hides behind. Crazy!
Old Feb 12, 2013, 04:26 PM   #43
Mr. Retrofire
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors
This looks a bit like the drawing in:
http://www.macrumors.com/2011/08/16/...gsafe-antenna/

...just with a different antenna.

Probably from the same Apple internal lab?

“Only the dead have seen the end of the war.”
-- Plato --
Mr. Retrofire is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 06:13 PM   #44
ghettochris
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Just like a mailslot=basketball magnet. most dust is way bigger than a few microns.
ghettochris is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 06:20 PM   #45
Fatalbert
Banned

Quote:
Just what I was thinking. When someone copies Apple, Apple loses either way.
Fatalbert is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 06:27 PM   #46
Drunken Master
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by L-U-R-C-H View Post
Good, I've been wondering when they were going to make the iPhone 5 thinner. That sucker is way too thick for me!

Quit your bitching.
Drunken Master is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 07:33 PM   #47
powers74
macrumors 68000

weird

I've never understood why this is such a big problem when the entire front of the device is glass. But those Apple engineers are pretty bright folks, so I suppose it is an issue.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 12:00 AM   #48
s0nicpr0s
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by powers74 View Post
I've never understood why this is such a big problem when the entire front of the device is glass. But those Apple engineers are pretty bright folks, so I suppose it is an issue.
There's a metal plate attached to the back of the screen.
PSN/GT/GC ~ ShadowHazard911
s0nicpr0s is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 12:28 AM   #49
macs4nw
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarman777 View Post
I'm always simultaneously fascinated & hopeful when I see patents come through like this. Really makes me curious and optimistic as to the continued and infinite possibilities in technology.
Same here; It's reassuring to hear, there's all kinds research going on all the time, even if some of it, for various reasons, never makes it to market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post
....this could also create the possibility of an all-aluminum case.....it is clear that Apple is continuing to look for ways to handle the increasing complexity of wireless communications while maintaining its design goals for size and aesthetics.

Article Link: Apple Patents Nearly Invisible 'Microslot Antennas' Allowing for Smaller Devices
Maybe there's a way to also implement this antenna technology in an all-aluminum Time Capsule, and solve all the pre-mature failure problems with those units (due to built-in power supplies overheating).
macs4nw is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 10:05 AM   #50
powers74
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0nicpr0s View Post
There's a metal plate attached to the back of the screen.
Oh, right. I guess there's that, but what about the rest of the bezel? Although the new screens are all one part glass & all. Probably hard to get an antenna connected to the chips in that case.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion