Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old Feb 12, 2013, 12:39 PM   #1
jnpy!$4g3cwk
macrumors 6502a

Wrestling dropped from 2020 Olympics

If this actually goes through, it would make it official-- the Olympics is all about the TV ratings = money.

Quote:
Wrestling has been dropped from the 2020 Games to make way for a new sport.

The International Olympic Committee's executive board made its decision after assessing the performance of all 26 sports at the London Games.

"The news from the IOC is extremely disappointing," said British Wrestling chief executive Colin Nicholson.

There is a slim chance wrestling may win a reprieve when the IOC meets in Buenos Aires in September to ratify its choice.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/21427455

I find this rather unbelievable, really. It isn't April 1st, is it? I guess it just doesn't televise well.
jnpy!$4g3cwk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 12:44 PM   #2
Moyank24
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnpy!$4g3cwk View Post
If this actually goes through, it would make it official-- the Olympics is all about the TV ratings = money.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/21427455

I find this rather unbelievable, really. It isn't April 1st, is it? I guess it just doesn't televise well.
I wonder what the new sport would be? Baseball??
Moyank24 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 12:47 PM   #3
SilentPanda
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moyank24 View Post
I wonder what the new sport would be? Baseball??
There are currently 7 candidates.
  • Baseball/softball
  • Karate
  • Roller sports
  • Sport climbing
  • Squash
  • Wakeboarding
  • Wushu

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/20757712

I'd probably place wakeboarding at the end of the list personally. I'd love to see sport climbing but I still wouldn't watch the Olympics. They just aren't interesting to me.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 12:51 PM   #4
Moyank24
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentPanda View Post
There are currently 7 candidates.
  • Baseball/softball
  • Karate
  • Roller sports
  • Sport climbing
  • Squash
  • Wakeboarding
  • Wushu

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/20757712

I'd probably place wakeboarding at the end of the list personally. I'd love to see sport climbing but I still wouldn't watch the Olympics. They just aren't interesting to me.
I'd love to see sport climbing as well. One of the reasons I watch the olympics is because it's an opportunity to see sports and athletes I wouldn't normally watch. Like Curling!!

And for those (like me) who wondered what Wushu was:

Quote:
The sport of wushu is both an exhibition and a full-contact sport derived from traditional Chinese martial arts.[1][2] It was developed in China after 1949, in an effort to standardize the practice of traditional Chinese martial arts,[3] although attempts to structure the various decentralized martial arts traditions date back earlier, when the Central Guoshu Institute was established at Nanking in 1928. The term wushu is Chinese for "martial arts" (武 "Wu" = military or martial, 术 "Shu" = art). In contemporary times, wushu has become an international sport through the International Wushu Federation (IWUF), which holds the World Wushu Championships every two years
Old Feb 12, 2013, 01:31 PM   #5
skottichan
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to skottichan Send a message via MSN to skottichan
I'd love to see Wushu or maybe sport climbing.

Fun bit of trivia: Jet Li was a Wushu prodigy as a child.
skottichan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 01:38 PM   #6
Tomorrow
macrumors 603

Baseball, softball, and wrestling have all been dropped from the Olympics recently, while handball, badminton, and ping-pong are still good to go.

Old Feb 12, 2013, 01:40 PM   #7
Moyank24
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomorrow View Post
Baseball, softball, and wrestling have all been dropped from the Olympics recently, while handball, badminton, and ping-pong are still good to go.

Olympic ping-pong is the awesomest!!
Old Feb 12, 2013, 01:43 PM   #8
rhett7660
macrumors 604

Quote:

Ugh......... I agree with the

So lets take out a sport that has pretty much been in the Olympics since the beginning and pretty much in most of the games since. One of the few sports I like watching when they would televise it.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 01:55 PM   #9
citizenzen
macrumors 65816

While I have to admit that I'm not a great fan of wrestling, I think there's something to be said for continuing the tradition of the sport.

The Olympics was the one place I'd even consider watching it.

It's sad to see that tradition change.
citizenzen is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 02:13 PM   #10
Eraserhead
macrumors G4

Quote:
while handball, badminton, and ping-pong are still good to go.

I think some of them are popular in Asia...

I still agree that this is bad.

Last edited by Eraserhead; Feb 12, 2013 at 02:18 PM.
Eraserhead is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 02:51 PM   #11
Don't panic
macrumors 68040

sportclimbing

awesome sport and it's fantastic to watch.

hopefully not yet another martial art.
is it true that kite-surfing will replace windsurfing?

what they should do is decrease the number of medals for several sports (those with two jillions different classes) and include the number of different sports.

i would also be in favor of a strong reduction of medals in any sports where the winner is not objectively decided.
Don't panic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 03:12 PM   #12
bradl
macrumors 68020

crappy decision here. Very crappy decision by the IOC.

It already has been mentioned: Greco-Roman has been in the Modern Olympics since 1896, and well before in the Ancient Olympics. This, track/field, and weightlifting were the oldest sports in the games. For them to remove one of the staples is crazy.

BL.
bradl is online now   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 08:22 PM   #13
Technarchy
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradl View Post

It already has been mentioned: Greco-Roman has been in the Modern Olympics since 1896, and well before in the Ancient Olympics. This, track/field, and weightlifting were the oldest sports in the games. For them to remove one of the staples is crazy.

BL.
I seriously hope it is not replaced with one of these X-Games type things.

And I've always enjoyed watching wrestling. It's a very physical and technical sport.
Steve Jobs, January 9th 2007, 10:44am: "We filed for over 200 patents for all the inventions in iPhone and we intend to protect them."
Technarchy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 04:57 AM   #14
Happybunny
macrumors 65816

So long as this remains a Olympic Sport this Bunny is Happy.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 12:20 AM   #15
jnpy!$4g3cwk
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradl View Post

BL.
I agree. What are the Olympics without wrestling and running? They are what tie the ancient traditions to modern sports.

But, I couldn't help think of "ping-pong diplomacy" when I saw this article:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/20/wo...pics.html?_r=0

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireSto...tling-18534510

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2013/...-the-olympics/

Quote:

TEHRAN, Iran — The caretakers of the Olympics may have inadvertently accomplished what has eluded diplomats: Galvanizing Iran and the U.S. on a common goal.

Wrestling officials from the arch foes appeared to be in bonding mode Tuesday on the sidelines of a Tehran tournament less than a week after the stunning decision by the International Olympic Committee that will force the ancient sport — as old as the Olympics themselves — to lobby for a spot at the 2020 Games.

Already, the fight to keep wrestling in the Olympics has brought the U.S. and Cuban federations into a possible alliance. But close co-operation between Iran and America would be an even more remarkable display of common cause with almost everything else driving them apart — led by an impasse over Tehran’s nuclear program and Western sanctions that have upended the Iranian economy.

It’s unlikely that any kind of wrestling detente would spill over into the wider issues, but it’s certain to at least draw attention to the power of sports as a low-risk icebreaker going back to the historic 1971 “pingpong diplomacy” between China and the U.S.

“We’ll be standing arm-in-arm with Iran, and we’ll be standing with Russia as we will with lots of other countries,” said Mitch Hull, national teams director for USA Wrestling, in an interview in Tehran with AP Television News before the World Cup Tournament.
jnpy!$4g3cwk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 04:18 AM   #16
Mr. Retrofire
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happybunny View Post

So long as this remains a Olympic Sport this Bunny is Happy. Image

I know what the signal means. It means...YOUKNOWWHAT...

;-)

“Only the dead have seen the end of the war.”
-- Plato --
Mr. Retrofire is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 07:49 AM   #17
Mac'nCheese
macrumors 68020

Of course we need to get rid of wrestling. The real athletes are the guys who ride the dancing horses.
Mac'nCheese is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 01:52 AM   #18
ChristianJapan
macrumors Demi-God

While I'm all for beach volleyball (a very attractive sport; even without "beach") the classical/ancient sports should remain. It can't only be money; Olympia should also be about tradition.
Member of MacRumors.com Folding@Home Team (#3446) & developer of the F@H Mobile Monitoring app
ChristianJapan is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues