Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
I'm looking for some critique on the logo for my site.

I want to keep it fairly simple and clean, but something about the way it is now seems off.

header.jpg

If you want to see the rest of the site design, here is the link: http://afterthearmy.me

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
I think it looks fuzzy with the background that is behind it. Background is okay. It is the font and the fx you have applied to it. I think if you went with a lighter colour than the background for the font and reversed your black/white shading it may help. Beveling also need to be smaller. The lighter font on the right side looks better. Just my thoughts.

Last edited:

ytk

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2010
The lone capital “B” looks a little weird to me. It might look better to either make it all lowercase, or use the small caps like in the main title. Hard to say without actually seeing it, though—I could be totally wrong.

citizenzen

macrumors 68000
Mar 22, 2010
I'm curious about the tagline, "Because no one can stay forever"

Do you want to stay forever? Do you think the typical user of the site wants to stay forever?

I'm also wondering about starting it with the word "Because". That seems unnecessary. I'm not a wordsmith, but what about ... "No one can stay forever" ... "No one stays forever" ... "No one enlists forever".

Just a couple of thoughts.

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
Looks much better. You could even add a light gray to the font and it will not hurt it. Not to much though. Definitely stands out now and looks a lot sharper.

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
The lone capital “B” looks a little weird to me. It might look better to either make it all lowercase, or use the small caps like in the main title. Hard to say without actually seeing it, though—I could be totally wrong.

I'm curious about the tagline, "Because no one can stay forever"

Do you want to stay forever? Do you think the typical user of the site wants to stay forever?

I'm also wondering about starting it with the word "Because". That seems unnecessary. I'm not a wordsmith, but what about ... "No one can stay forever" ... "No one stays forever" ... "No one enlists forever".

Just a couple of thoughts.

I dropped the because ...

header3.jpg

About the tagline, it's about how everyone's career ends, whether they are ready for it or not, but especially those whom are forced out medically.

davedee65

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2010
UK
Hi. Having checked out your site I would suggest loosing the bevel and drop shadow from the logo as those effects are somewhat passe and make it looked blurred and out of date. Keep it nice and clean and simple. Also I'd range your text to the left so it sits better in the banner. Something like this?

D

Attachments

• Screen shot 2013-02-14 at 16.33.25.png
    Screen shot 2013-02-14 at 16.33.25.png
    20.9 KB · Views: 124

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
Hi. Having checked out your site I would suggest loosing the bevel and drop shadow from the logo as those effects are somewhat passe and make it looked blurred and out of date. Keep it nice and clean and simple. Also I'd range your text to the left so it sits better in the banner. Something like this?

D

I removed the effects and moved the text to the left.

At first, not sure I like it.

header4.jpg

davedee65

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2010
UK
Hey man if it's not working for you then stick with what you had and are happy with. It was only a suggestion and sometimes you need to see what you don't want, to see the merits in what you had originally! :)

D

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
Hey man if it's not working for you then stick with what you had and are happy with. It was only a suggestion and sometimes you need to see what you don't want, to see the merits in what you had originally! :)

D

Thanks for the advice though. I'm willing to change it and take a look, rather than just dismiss it right off.

:)

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
I think that looks good, It will now line up more with the left of your website. Nice site by the way.

Last edited:

12dylan34

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2009

D

I vastly prefer this. Much more modern and clean looking.

citizenzen

macrumors 68000
Mar 22, 2010
Here's my 15 minute take on it.

I just want to work some camo in there ...

Attachments

• afterTheArmy.png
    afterTheArmy.png
    37.7 KB · Views: 141
Last edited:

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
citizenzen,

I took your idea and ran with it, for the updated pattern.

Chocolate chip is too '90s ;)

header6.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.