Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Designed4Mac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
I Wish I Knew
Has anyone in the Uk ordered the OWC Data Doubler Kit and if so how long did it take to arrive. Ordered mine last Monday and i'm sitting here with a new SSD and itchy fingers waiting for it :D

mr.thing

macrumors member
Aug 14, 2010
Mine was shipped on Jan 13 and delivered to Australia on Feb 6. I selected a cheapest postage option. I think delivery in UK should be much faster.

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
Mine was shipped on Jan 13 and delivered to Australia on Feb 6. I selected a cheapest postage option. I think delivery in UK should be much faster.

Seriously? From OWC? I have purchased RAM previously from them with the cheapest option and it took about 2 weeks... I guess 3 weeks isn't THAT much of a difference, but still.

Designed4Mac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
I Wish I Knew
Seriously? From OWC? I have purchased RAM previously from them with the cheapest option and it took about 2 weeks... I guess 3 weeks isn't THAT much of a difference, but still.

Unfortunately this was the only option i had or iFixit. Cant get the kit anywhere in the uk. Could have bought a hex set,screws and grommets from my local pc shop. The cheapest i could find the cable for was £50-£60.

I could have gone the easy route and done it externally but never do anything the easy way :)

----------

You could've ordered it shipped from the UK instead. ;)

Thats for a Macbook not a Mac Mini. With that kit you lose the optical bay on a MBP. Its no good for the MM.

mr.thing

macrumors member
Aug 14, 2010

Yeah. I was surprised myself. This long delivery time could be because I ordered Data Doubler Kit and also NuCube Stand for Mac Mini (which went straight to eBay, too bulky).

Omnius

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2012
Basically it's worth getting the data doubler kits now because in the owc case, it only costs about 6 dollars more than the cable itself. If you're going to do work inside, you might as well do it right.

MJL

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2011

I've ordered memory and other parts in the past and the quickest it arrived in New Zealand was 5 days and the slowest 10. Waiting at this moment for my own data doubler cable (not kit, just cable, screws and grommets).

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
Unfortunately this was the only option i had or iFixit. Cant get the kit anywhere in the uk. Could have bought a hex set,screws and grommets from my local pc shop. The cheapest i could find the cable for was £50-£60.

I could have gone the easy route and done it externally but never do anything the easy way :)
Ebay is a cheaper option for me here in Asia - did you consider that?

I've ordered memory and other parts in the past and the quickest it arrived in New Zealand was 5 days and the slowest 10. Waiting at this moment for my own data doubler cable (not kit, just cable, screws and grommets).
5! Impressive. Maybe the parts for the OP weren't exactly in stock or something..

Designed4Mac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
I Wish I Knew
Ebay is a cheaper option for me here in Asia - did you consider that?

5! Impressive. Maybe the parts for the OP weren't exactly in stock or something..

It was in stock. Ordered on the 4th showed as despatched on the 5th. I chose international air mail as they wanted $35 for express delivery. ($35 on a small packet....ridiculous)

I tried everywhere including eBay before i took the plunge to buy direct from OWC.

I contacted them yesterday as its been 2 weeks now and this is the reply i got

"Thank you for contacting Other World Computing. I am very sorry for the delay and any inconvenience this may have caused you. The International Mail shipping method used for that order doesn't include a tracking number. It will usually take around 10-14 business days, though it may take longer due to delays from customs processing and/or the postal service. They can take up to 35 days to be delivered. If that isn't delivered after 30 days we can start a claim on that for you, though they do usually have that delivered before that point"

So in other words theres nothing i can do for another 2 weeks. Luckily paid through paypal so i'll give it till the end of next week and contact them and see what they say.

Ive ordered bits and pieces from all round the world in the past and have never waited 30-35 days for anything.

Needless to say i cant see me ordering anything from the US again in a hurry.

Last edited:

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
It was in stock. Ordered on the 4th showed as despatched on the 5th. I chose international air mail as they wanted $35 for express delivery. ($35 on a small packet....ridiculous)

I tried everywhere including eBay before i took the plunge to buy direct from OWC.

Ive ordered bits and pieces from all round the world in the past and have never waited 30-35 days for anything.

I paid for that $35 when I ordered only 2x4GB sticks of memory! (Was $400 back in 2010). I didn't want to wait, so it was worth that money IMO.

I really hope you get your package soon!

Omnius

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2012

I contacted them yesterday as its been 2 weeks now and this is the reply i got

"Thank you for contacting Other World Computing. I am very sorry for the delay and any inconvenience this may have caused you. The International Mail shipping method used for that order doesn't include a tracking number. It will usually take around 10-14 business days, though it may take longer due to delays from customs processing and/or the postal service. They can take up to 35 days to be delivered. If that isn't delivered after 30 days we can start a claim on that for you, though they do usually have that delivered before that point"

So in other words theres nothing i can do for another 2 weeks. Luckily paid through paypal so i'll give it till the end of next week and contact them and see what they say.

It's a canned response. You received a message from them designed to limit their liability and manage your expectations. Please note they stated you should have it before then. You're asking products to be shipped around the world. They're not looking to lose money on shipping expenses sending you a little packet. Any case on shipping that they incur, they WILL pass on to you. Also, it's extraordinarily hyperbolic to say you won't order from any business based or operating in the US again simply because 1 company's overseas shipping options don't meet your expectations.

Leave them feedback. Intelligently and calmly explain your concerns and needs. I've found virtually every company I've ordered anything from, anywhere, has been extremely accommodating by dealing with them as professionally as possible. The saying that you catch more flies with sugar than vinegar is true. In the past, several businesses have been willing to expedite my shipping or waive costs simply because I called, you might have some luck trying the same thing.

As always, check a company's shipping options before you order. If they don't meet your expectations, find somewhere better. Ultimately the burden is on the consumer to find the deal they want. And if nowhere is better, then perhaps there is some justification. Not everyone can ship anything anywhere fast and cheap. Some places do have significant hurdles for shipping.

Designed4Mac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
I Wish I Knew
Search for OWC/Newertech Official Dealer/Reseller/Importer in W-Europe, outside UK.

Thanks for that. Found them in the Belgium seller. Delivered in 2-3 days.

Could have done with your help 3 weeks ago as mine still hasnt arrived. They've got till the end of this week then i'll be putting a claim in for a refund.

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey
Thanks for that. Found them in the Belgium seller. Delivered in 2-3 days.

Could have done with your help 3 weeks ago as mine still hasnt arrived. They've got till the end of this week then i'll be putting a claim in for a refund.

Yeah us post office shipping to the uk has become really bad.

I sold a lot of gear to the uk, but now it has become terrible.

I used to be able to send a small box under 400 usd in value for 11 usd. with tracking and insurance.

Now it cost me 40.40 with tracking and insurance or 23.95 with nothing but hope! see thumbnail

or express insured for 200 is 45 insured for 300 is 47.30.. the us post office has just become too expensive to ship.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-02-19 at 6.34.14 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-02-19 at 6.34.14 PM.png
    904.6 KB · Views: 107
  • Screen Shot 2013-02-19 at 6.38.01 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-02-19 at 6.38.01 PM.png
    828.1 KB · Views: 114

clamss

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2007
let me know how this goes, i've been meaning to puchase one of these for quite a while now..

I bought one and installed it in my mac mini. It can be quite a pain to remove the IR sensor. I broke it and thought my mac mini was gone as i did not know i broke the IR sensor at point in time. I thought i had to get a refurbished set to replace my 'damaged' mac mini.

I looked around the forum and found out it's a common issue with people trying to install a ssd because the IR sensor cable is very fragile. You're suppose to lift it from under the wires and not under the socket which i did.

Anyway, i installed the ssd with the data doubler and the mac mini fired up just fine. Only problem is i don't get the white light at the front of the mac mini to tell you that the mac mini is turned on. A blessing in disguise as i tend to leave the mac mini on overnight and the light can be quite distracting in a darken room when i'm sleeping.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.