Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FullMetalx117

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 7, 2011
Hey everyone
I'm trying to buy an iPhone to use on the verizon network. I currently have a 4S and if I upgrade ill lose my unlimited data so I'm forced to buy phones at unsubsidized prices. I see some decent $550 factory unlocked phones on Craigslist. I'm thinking about purchasing one but was wondering if factory unlocked phones work on verizon. I know the 4S had so,e issues but was hoping that wasn't the case for the iPhone which I can put a verizon sim in. Anyone know?

Thanks in advance

bohbot16

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2009
The factory unlocked iPhone 5 will only work on GSM HSPA+ networks, so you're out of luck. You'll need a Verizon iPhone 5.

MacLovin78

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2008
Hey everyone
I'm trying to buy an iPhone to use on the verizon network. I currently have a 4S and if I upgrade ill lose my unlimited data so I'm forced to buy phones at unsubsidized prices. I see some decent $550 factory unlocked phones on Craigslist. I'm thinking about purchasing one but was wondering if factory unlocked phones work on verizon. I know the 4S had so,e issues but was hoping that wasn't the case for the iPhone which I can put a verizon sim in. Anyone know?

Thanks in advance

Are you sure you want to upgrade now? There is a better camera and larger screen on the 5 but other than that the 4S can do everything the 5 can do. With speculation of a 5S in June you may want to consider waiting until then and perhaps you will qualify for an upgrade then.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
You cannot.
You need to find a verizon iphone 5. Only ones sold for verizon will work and activate on their network. If you get a factory unlocked GSM iphone 5 you will not be able to use it on verizon.
Also make sure if you do find a verizon iphone 5 it doesnt have a bad ESN or you wont be able to activate it at all with them.

FullMetalx117

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 7, 2011
Oh I see... Thanks guys. This is the one time I wished I didn't have verizon. So many less options...

----------

Are you sure you want to upgrade now? There is a better camera and larger screen on the 5 but other than that the 4S can do everything the 5 can do. With speculation of a 5S in June you may want to consider waiting until then and perhaps you will qualify for an upgrade then.

Yeah I would wait but the problem is that is I do upgrade I lose unlimited. From now on ill have to buy phones at full price. The iPhone 5 price has come down to around $500 used though.

bohbot16

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2009
Oh I see... Thanks guys. This is the one time I wished I didn't have verizon. So many less options...

----------

Yeah I would wait but the problem is that is I do upgrade I lose unlimited. From now on ill have to buy phones at full price. The iPhone 5 price has come down to around $500 used though.

You could still buy a used Verizon iPhone 5. All Verizon iPhone 5s come SIM unlocked so you could bring it to a GSM HSPA+ carrier in the future if you ditched Verizon. They will also likely hold their value better than a Sprint or AT&T iPhone 5 for when you upgrade.

Cass05

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2013
Question about factory unlock FROM verizon

Can I still use a factory unlocked phone from verizon, if my provider is verizon? For instance if I bought the phone off eBay and it was factory unlocked from verizon. Could I set it back up to it being verizon network if phone has clean ESN, etc.?

Col Ronson

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2008

you left out the most important part= LTE. That will be the biggest net gain from a 4S to a 5.

answering the OP: make sure you look for specifically a Verizon iPhone 5 on craigslist. It will be SIM unlocked, but you need a verizon one for the CDMA radio.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.