Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rey.gran1342

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 12, 2013
Mis Or, PH
So I just updated my iOS to 6.1.1 and found out that my OTHER memory went up from 800MB to 1.02GB. Tried deleting everything in the /var/mobile/Media/iTunes_Control/Music. Removed cache. Ran iCleaner (phone is jailbroken using evasi0n BTW). Rebooted. Still the same thing.

I was just wondering if this OTHER size is normal for others who have 4S's running on 6.1.1. If not, do you have any other tips for me to lower down the OTHER size on my phone?

r2shyyou

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2010
Paris, France
So I just updated my iOS to 6.1.1 and found out that my OTHER memory went up from 800MB to 1.02GB. Tried deleting everything in the /var/mobile/Media/iTunes_Control/Music. Removed cache. Ran iCleaner (phone is jailbroken using evasi0n BTW). Rebooted. Still the same thing.

I was just wondering if this OTHER size is normal for others who have 4S's running on 6.1.1. If not, do you have any other tips for me to lower down the OTHER size on my phone?

Have a look at this post for how to address what may be your issue with 'Other' data:

Are your iCloud backups ridiculously large? Here's why...

The reason for growth in this 'Other' data may be that, in at least some instances, MMS attachments that get "orphaned" after the conversations they appear in are deleted from the Messages.app.

rey.gran1342

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 12, 2013
Mis Or, PH
Have a look at this post for how to address what may be your issue with 'Other' data:

Are your iCloud backups ridiculously large? Here's why...

The reason for growth in this 'Other' data may be that, in at least some instances, MMS attachments that get "orphaned" after the conversations they appear in are deleted from the Messages.app.

thanks, but that part of my phone is already empty. anything else please? :(

rey.gran1342

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 12, 2013
Mis Or, PH
Not sure if PhoneClean would pretty much do the same thing as iCleaner, but maybe it's worth a try: http://lifehacker.com/5980164/phoneclean-scans-your-ios-device-to-reclaim-storage-space.

yup.. pretty much.. i have that installed as well.. only difference is, iCleaner doesn't remove Cookie and Script Files but PhoneClean gives you the option to do so.

previously when my phone wasn't jailbroken, the OTHER data was just 400MB. i don't think all the other packages from cydia i installed would be 600MB. A gig of OTHER is just ridiculous.

HeyKatie

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2012
It's frustrating but better than the over 6 GB of 'Other' that I had on my 16 GB iPhone 4S a week or two ago.

As little as I wanted to do this, I restored as new and now I finally have most of my capacity back.

I would restore as new but I really don't want to lose my game data on Smurfs or Angry Birds.

rey.gran1342

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 12, 2013
Mis Or, PH
It's frustrating but better than the over 6 GB of 'Other' that I had on my 16 GB iPhone 4S a week or two ago.

As little as I wanted to do this, I restored as new and now I finally have most of my capacity back.

how much of OTHER data do you have now?

TOYSTER17

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2010

Did you restore and set up as new iPhone and then just restored a backup?

r2shyyou

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2010
Paris, France
how much of OTHER data do you have now?

I now have 1.01 GB, which is acceptable to me.

Did you restore and set up as new iPhone and then just restored a backup?

I restored as new, no backups involved. It was a bit of a pain re-downloading apps, re-authorizing them to use my location/contacts/etc., and re-entering my passwords but well worth it consider that with 6+ GB of 'Other' I was constantly running out of room.

just restored from a backup after updating to iOS 6.1.1. i guess there is no other way around this but to restore as new. :(

In my experience updating to 6.1, which I believe contains the fix going forward for this, it does appear that restoring as new and not from a backup is the only way to rid yourself of this previously accumulated 'Other' data.

TomoK12

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2013
Ireland
Off topic but, is it just me or is iOS 6.1.1 amazingly faster? Apps launch for me about 80% faster. Please tell me I'm not just gone mad.

Boredathome

macrumors member
Jan 5, 2013
Canada
Im running PhoneClean right now and the Facebook cache is HUGE (about 1500 files) so far PhoneClean is working right. Crossing my fingers.

r2shyyou

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2010
Paris, France
Off topic but, is it just me or is iOS 6.1.1 amazingly faster? Apps launch for me about 80% faster. Please tell me I'm not just gone mad.

You've gone mad! It's much closer to 76% faster... :D

Seriously though, 6.1.1 doesn't appear to me to have sped up my phone but if it seems to have done so for you, then great.

rey.gran1342

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 12, 2013
Mis Or, PH
You've gone mad! It's much closer to 76% faster... :D

Seriously though, 6.1.1 doesn't appear to me to have sped up my phone but if it seems to have done so for you, then great.

so i did a restore on my phone. without JB, i had 400-500MB of OTHER data. After JB, downloaded packages and installed tweaks i had 800-900MB. so i guess i'm fine here.

r2shyyou

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2010
Paris, France
so i did a restore on my phone. without JB, i had 400-500MB of OTHER data. After JB, downloaded packages and installed tweaks i had 800-900MB. so i guess i'm fine here.

I'd say so. I just hope 6.1 really did fix the issue so that this arbitrary category doesn't grow like it has in the past.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I know this has been mentioned but my other was around 4 gb. Deleting all my text reduced it to 1.5gb.

Just Dave

macrumors member
Oct 13, 2011
My other had climbed to just over 4 gig on a 16G phone. (4s)

After searching around, I found a google link to the apple forums and tried a suggestion I found there. So far after about a week, my other is staying at around 500mb +/-.

>Settings
>General
>Usage
>Under the storage heading tap on music
Swip on All Music. This will bring up a Delete button. This part is important. Hit delete, and accept, but do not leave this page. If you leave this page it will delete your music from the phone. Instead, do a hard restart, Home and power button. After the phone restarted, my other data was again normal, and all music was still on the phone. My first try, I left the page and deleted all my music. Use this method at your own risk of course, but it did clear up mine and my wifes other data on our 4s phones. I then backed up my phone so that I had a backup without the large other data. I would also recomend backing up your phone before using this method just in case.

iPhone 4s iOS 6.1.1, updated to 6.1.2 OTA and other has remained at the 500mb +/- level.

Update: it appears that my music is not playing correctly. I am going to resync my music and see If that fixes the playback issue without increasing the other size.
Regards, Dave

Last edited:

rey.gran1342

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 12, 2013
Mis Or, PH
My other had climbed to just over 4 gig on a 16G phone. (4s)

After searching around, I found a google link to the apple forums and tried a suggestion I found there. So far after about a week, my other is staying at around 500mb +/-.

>Settings
>General
>Usage
>Under the storage heading tap on music
Swip on All Music. This will bring up a Delete button. This part is important. Hit delete, and accept, but do not leave this page. If you leave this page it will delete your music from the phone. Instead, do a hard restart, Home and power button. After the phone restarted, my other data was again normal, and all music was still on the phone. My first try, I left the page and deleted all my music. Use this method at your own risk of course, but it did clear up mine and my wifes other data on our 4s phones. I then backed up my phone so that I had a backup without the large other data. I would also recomend backing up your phone before using this method just in case.

iPhone 4s iOS 6.1.1, updated to 6.1.2 OTA and other has remained at the 500mb +/- level.

Regards, Dave

is your phone jailbroken?

Just Dave

macrumors member
Oct 13, 2011
Just in case people miss it in my update above.

Update: it appears that my music is not playing correctly. I am going to resync my music and see If that fixes the playback issue without increasing the other size.

Regards, Dave

Just Dave

macrumors member
Oct 13, 2011
So, as an update, after using the above posted method to reduce the "other" folder size, my music would not play. It simply cycled through each song almost like shuffling cards. I backed up and synced my phone this morning. "Other" folder was just over 700mb. I then deleted my music off of my phone and resynced. "Other" went from the 700mb to 3.32gb. I have 2.5gb of music on my phone. 700mb + 2.5gb is getting close to the 3.32gb that I now have.

So it appears that at least in my case, most of my "other" has to do with my music. As you can no longer control the syncing of album art, I am not sure I have any way to break it down any farther.

Any thoughts? Next step for me will be a restore as new. I did install iOS 6 that way, and other was around 2gb if I recall.

Regards, Dave

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.