Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Feb 12, 2013, 04:15 PM   #1
Myiphone7
Banned

Will iPhone 5 be the last iPhone we can unlock on our own unless we go through back

door methods? The new stipulation against unlocking phones on your own is really sad.

I really hope we get to see unlock fusion on eBay for future iPhones but I doubt it.

Unlocking is cool because its nice to have the luxury of using the iPhone wherever you want anywhere in the world.

If you have the AT&T GSM version of iPhone 5 you can take it to almost any country, pop a sim, and you're good to go.

It's really sad the laws have changed.
Myiphone7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 06:20 PM   #2
RichardC300
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myiphone7 View Post
door methods? The new stipulation against unlocking phones on your own is really sad.

I really hope we get to see unlock fusion on eBay for future iPhones but I doubt it.

Unlocking is cool because its nice to have the luxury of using the iPhone wherever you want anywhere in the world.

If you have the AT&T GSM version of iPhone 5 you can take it to almost any country, pop a sim, and you're good to go.

It's really sad the laws have changed.
No.
RichardC300 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 06:24 PM   #3
wxman2003
macrumors 65816

Pay full price. And it's the Verizon iphone which is the best unlocked iphone 5, not the AT&T version.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 07:50 PM   #4
Gregintosh
macrumors 65816

And the Verizon iPhone 5 comes with gsm fully unlocked already, even if bought on contract. Due to the rules regarding Verizon's LTE spectrum, all LTE iPhones will be unlocked if bought through Verizon.

I feel like since unlocking really took off and every carrier and their momma is supporting the iPhone these days, unlocked models will be more popular (as the extra expense is offset with a smaller phone bill).

Carriers will slowly move away from the current model as the cheaper carriers eat into their profits and they too will offer cheaper plans and unlocked phones. They may take the T-Mobile route that they will simply help people finance phones rather than restrict their use via a contract.

So the future looks good, just the transition period is a hassle. But it will get better.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 07:53 PM   #5
bohbot16
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregintosh View Post
And the Verizon iPhone 5 comes with gsm fully unlocked already, even if bought on contract. Due to the rules regarding Verizon's LTE spectrum, all LTE iPhones will be unlocked if bought through Verizon.

I feel like since unlocking really took off and every carrier and their momma is supporting the iPhone these days, unlocked models will be more popular (as the extra expense is offset with a smaller phone bill).

Carriers will slowly move away from the current model as the cheaper carriers eat into their profits and they too will offer cheaper plans and unlocked phones. They may take the T-Mobile route that they will simply help people finance phones rather than restrict their use via a contract.

So the future looks good, just the transition period is a hassle. But it will get better.
If this happens at AT&T or Verizon, they'll have to offer 0% financing plans to compensate for the sticker shock.
bohbot16 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:31 AM   #6
Myiphone7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman2003 View Post
Pay full price. And it's the Verizon iphone which is the best unlocked iphone 5, not the AT&T version.
The AT&T one is global gsm...Verizon is CDMA.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:36 AM   #7
bohbot16
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Verizon is CDMA for 3G and GSM for 4G LTE. They use SIM cards in the iPhone 5.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:44 AM   #8
SAD*FACED*CLOWN
macrumors 65816

Quote:
how do you figure? you can't get LTE via the sim card slot on a Verizion iPhone 5
Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:54 AM   #9
BruiserB
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Verizon is global GSM for 3G as well....for roaming outside the US. The global GSM radio is there....the phone just defaults to CDMA in the US for VZ's service.
BruiserB is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:59 AM   #10
wxman2003
macrumors 65816

Quote:
The verizon iphone 5 is unlocked and has more GSM bands than the AT&T version. All those GSM bands are unlocked, and can be used in almost every country in the world. Plus you are more likely to be able to use LTE on one of the GSM bands as more countries roll out LTE.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAD*FACED*CLOWN View Post
how do you figure? you can't get LTE via the sim card slot on a Verizion iPhone 5
Verizon iphone 5 has more unlocked GSM bands than the AT&T phone. As more countries roll out LTE on those GSM bands, you might be able to also use LTE with the Verizon phone. Verizon does not have AT&T's gsm LTE bands, but likely to have some from Europe and elsewhere.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 02:41 PM   #11
Myiphone7
Banned

Quote:
The verizon iphone 5 is unlocked and has more GSM bands than the AT&T version. All those GSM bands are unlocked, and can be used in almost every country in the world. Plus you are more likely to be able to use LTE on one of the GSM bands as more countries roll out LTE.

----------

Verizon iphone 5 has more unlocked GSM bands than the AT&T phone. As more countries roll out LTE on those GSM bands, you might be able to also use LTE with the Verizon phone. Verizon does not have AT&T's gsm LTE bands, but likely to have some from Europe and elsewhere.
From what I've heard is that the AT&T GSM bands are the ones you'll find overseas in most countries.

I've heard that the AT&T one, if you can get it unlocked, is the better one for traveling overseas...?
Old Feb 14, 2013, 02:52 PM   #12
thehustleman
macrumors 65816

Apple can kill all of that bull by simply shipping the phones unlocked and if they don't allow them to be shipped unlocked then don't carry the phone. We remember what happened last time major carriers wouldn't bow to apples outrageous demands...

Problem solved
thehustleman is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 02:53 PM   #13
bohbot16
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehustleman View Post
Apple can kill all of that bull by simply shipping the phones unlocked and if they don't allow them to be shipped unlocked then don't carry the phone. We remember what happened last time major carriers wouldn't bow to apples outrageous demands...

Problem solved
That doesn't solve the issue of the hardware differences between the AT&T and Verizon iPhone 5s that result in them only working on certain LTE frequencies.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 03:16 PM   #14
wxman2003
macrumors 65816

Quote:
From what I've heard is that the AT&T GSM bands are the ones you'll find overseas in most countries.

I've heard that the AT&T one, if you can get it unlocked, is the better one for traveling overseas...?
Actually Verizon has more GSM bands that can be used in more countries than the AT&T version. Plus the Verizon has more LTE bands. So for traveling...Verizon iphone 5 is the better choice. The A1428 is the AT&T version.

GSM model A1428*: UMTS/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz); GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz); LTE (Bands 4 and 17)

CDMA model A1429*: CDMA EV-DO Rev. A and Rev. B (800, 1900, 2100 MHz); UMTS/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz); GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz); LTE (Bands 1, 3, 5, 13, 25)

GSM model A1429*: UMTS/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz); GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz); LTE (Bands 1, 3, 5)

Last edited by wxman2003; Feb 14, 2013 at 03:26 PM.
wxman2003 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 01:13 AM   #15
Myiphone7
Banned

Quote:
Actually Verizon has more GSM bands that can be used in more countries than the AT&T version. Plus the Verizon has more LTE bands. So for traveling...Verizon iphone 5 is the better choice. The A1428 is the AT&T version.

GSM model A1428*: UMTS/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz); GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz); LTE (Bands 4 and 17)

CDMA model A1429*: CDMA EV-DO Rev. A and Rev. B (800, 1900, 2100 MHz); UMTS/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz); GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz); LTE (Bands 1, 3, 5, 13, 25)

GSM model A1429*: UMTS/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz); GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz); LTE (Bands 1, 3, 5)
So it's the same except the LTE? And CDMA natch.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 07:28 AM   #16
bohbot16
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
So it's the same except the LTE? And CDMA natch.
Right. And the LTE bands are set by different physical antenna setups, so you need to buy the one with the LTE bands that you will need.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 09:32 AM   #17
Myiphone7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohbot16 View Post
Right. And the LTE bands are set by different physical antenna setups, so you need to buy the one with the LTE bands that you will need.
Now I'm kind of sad haha. I thought the AT&T one unlocked was the global iPhone.

Now I see the Verizon one is much more global.

I mean, I should've bought a Verizon iPhone 5 on eBay and used it with my plan in AT&T.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 10:33 AM   #18
bohbot16
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Now I'm kind of sad haha. I thought the AT&T one unlocked was the global iPhone.

Now I see the Verizon one is much more global.

I mean, I should've bought a Verizon iPhone 5 on eBay and used it with my plan in AT&T.
The problem with buying the Verizon iPhone 5 and using it on AT&T is that your're limited to HSPA+ speeds. No LTE.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 10:34 AM   #19
Brian Y
macrumors 68000

"Not using the backdoor" - lol - fusion et al ARE backdoors. They're employees of telcoms who are abusing their employers unlock lists.
Brian Y is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 10:50 AM   #20
Myiphone7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohbot16 View Post
The problem with buying the Verizon iPhone 5 and using it on AT&T is that your're limited to HSPA+ speeds. No LTE.
That's right! Just realized that. Ok then I'm good.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Y View Post
"Not using the backdoor" - lol - fusion et al ARE backdoors. They're employees of telcoms who are abusing their employers unlock lists.
Yeah and anyone who used fusion etc paid good money for the service.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 11:04 AM   #21
R.Stoychev
macrumors 6502a

Definitely NO
Old Feb 15, 2013, 11:48 AM   #22
Brian Y
macrumors 68000

Quote:
That's right! Just realized that. Ok then I'm good.

----------

Yeah and anyone who used fusion etc paid good money for the service.
I could pay good money for a stolen TV. Doesn't make it the right way.

If you've used unlock fusion, etc, what you've done is paid somebody who works for AT&T, Verizon with access to the iTunes portal for unlocking to insert your IMEI as being unlocked, without their employers permission. Apple don't sell access to iTunes - you can only access it if you're an authorised carrier.

Not sure how that doesn't quality as being a "back door"? Maybe if they charged you for software unlocks, since you paid for it, you might think that was more legit?
Brian Y is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 12:34 PM   #23
Myiphone7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Y View Post
I could pay good money for a stolen TV. Doesn't make it the right way.

If you've used unlock fusion, etc, what you've done is paid somebody who works for AT&T, Verizon with access to the iTunes portal for unlocking to insert your IMEI as being unlocked, without their employers permission. Apple don't sell access to iTunes - you can only access it if you're an authorised carrier.

Not sure how that doesn't quality as being a "back door"? Maybe if they charged you for software unlocks, since you paid for it, you might think that was more legit?
It's not my problem. AT&T had to deal with it. At the time when fusion was on eBay unlocking was legal.

It's AT&T's problem. Not mine.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone