Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wxman2003

Suspended
Apr 12, 2011
picture.php

bonskovsky

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2012
I don't know but those things WOULD NOT sell. 1, no one wants to wear a watch unless it's Rolex. 2, who wants a glass watch on their wrist???

I don't!

wxman2003

Suspended
Apr 12, 2011
I don't know but those things WOULD NOT sell. 1, no one wants to wear a watch unless it's Rolex. 2, who wants a glass watch on their wrist???

They would sell millions more Apple watches than they would a Rolex. And Rolex is overpriced crap.

bonskovsky

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2012
I really don't think that would sell in large numbers. It's not even what Apple does, I mean and you know once Apple does everyone else wants to do it, so expect Android watches.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
In my opinion, it should be solar-powered (as mentioned in your article) and should also be waterproof. Make it so that you never need to take it off. Once that's done, you'd no longer need a PIN on your phone; it could automatically unlock when in range of your wrist.

Combine that with the other stuff like song playback controls, etc. I'd love to be able to control a phone alarm from my watch; currently I use my watch as an alarm since it's always in reach, but sometimes I fall asleep lying on my arm and when that happens, I don't even hear it beeping. It would be great if the phone on the other side of the room could wake me up, with the ability to silence it from the bed (this might be too far for its range though).

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
I just bought a new watch yesterday, however a watch that would link to my phone I'd be all over. Don't really like Pebble's monochrome screen, otherwise would've bought that.

I'm 15 and I'd say at least 50% of people wear watches in my class. They're not dead yet.

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
An iWatch will reveal who the real Apple Geeks are. You'll be able to spot them from quite a distance away. :D

----------

I just bought a new watch yesterday, however a watch that would link to my phone I'd be all over. Don't really like Pebble's monochrome screen, otherwise would've bought that.

I'm 15 and I'd say at least 50% of people wear watches in my class. They're not dead yet.

In the USA wearing a watch is a dying practice.

divisionbuyzero

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2012
Reasons for wearing a watch in 2013:

1) Business settings (for the fashion aspect)
2) Wanting to look better by wearing a watch

an apple watch wouldn't service EITHER of those reasons and therefore would fail.

wxman2003

Suspended
Apr 12, 2011
Pebble raised $10 million in less than one month. And the tech world no longer revolves around the US. Soon, Apple and Samsung will not need the US market for them to succeed. They have a huge untapped market of over 2 billion people in China and India. The future is there, not the west, and these types of watches will be big money.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA

I don't!

YOU don't but that doesn't equal everyone.

Depending on how they do it, a lot of folks might be more willing to wear it than those that insist on a Rolex.

----------

I really don't think that would sell in large numbers. It's not even what Apple does, I mean and you know once Apple does everyone else wants to do it, so expect Android watches.

There are rumors that Samsung etc are already mocking up their watches to announced before Apple does so they can say they released first so they didn't copy blah blah

S

syd430

An Apple watch would be huge. Just look at the Pebble watch which raised over $10 million in a month on Kickstarter. There is a huge untapped demand. $$$ Billions.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/597507018/pebble-e-paper-watch-for-iphone-and-android?ref=search

The general rule for Kickstarter is that the stupider and easier to understand the idea, the more money you will raise. Is the Pebble watch a great product? or do the 16 year olds that make up the site think it would of been a great idea? Given the finished product is total crap, i'd say probably the latter.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Reasons for wearing a watch in 2013:

1) Business settings (for the fashion aspect)
2) Wanting to look better by wearing a watch

an apple watch wouldn't service EITHER of those reasons and therefore would fail.

We haven't seen what they might be planning to do so you can't really make those claims.

Not to mention that said 'watch' could service needs more important than just fashion, making it more important to business etc. who knows at this point.

wxman2003

Suspended
Apr 12, 2011
The general rule for Kickstarter is that the stupider the idea, the more money you will raise. Is the Pebble watch a great product? or do the 16 year olds that make up the site think it would of been a great idea? Given the finished product is total crap, i'd say probably the latter.

And it still made over $10 million. I rest my case.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.