Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion

Old Feb 12, 2013, 04:48 PM   #1
bigMAC28
macrumors member

Applying for full time jobs while still in college

Hello everyone,

I am currently a Senior in college pursuing a B.S. in Information Systems. I just made my schedule for next quarter and alot of my classes arent offered. This is going to push me back a bit. My question is, do companies hire people close to getting out of college? I want to start applying for a job for when i get out/this summer and on, but I don't want applying to all of these companies to hurt me in the future. Has anyone heard of a company hiring a person working on their degree. Just an FYI i only have like 6 courses I have to take after next quarter. I hope to get all of these done over the summer. Thanks in advance!
bigMAC28 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 04:58 PM   #2
robbieduncan

I had a guaranteed job with 2 terms left. So yes.
robbieduncan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 05:03 PM   #3
bigMAC28
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbieduncan View Post
I had a guaranteed job with 2 terms left. So yes.
Did you apply for that job, or was that through an internship?
Old Feb 12, 2013, 05:13 PM   #4
robbieduncan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigMAC28 View Post
Did you apply for that job, or was that through an internship?
I had an internship with a different company in the same industry. The company I took a position with came to the university to recruit and I applied
Old Feb 12, 2013, 05:57 PM   #5
bigMAC28
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbieduncan View Post
I had an internship with a different company in the same industry. The company I took a position with came to the university to recruit and I applied
Ok cool. So it is possible, I just dont want to miss hiring season at the beginning of summer. Thanks alot.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 06:21 PM   #6
designs216
macrumors 65816

I would encourage you to interview even if you don't think you'll be hired. It's a win-win. If not hired, it's still great practice and an opportunity to network. If you are hired, then you're making money when classes aren't available.
designs216 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 04:15 AM   #7
robbieduncan

I should maybe clarify the above. I was not working for the company during the remaining 2 terms. They were recruiting their summer graduate intake for year X (starting in July) in November/December of year X-1...
Old Feb 13, 2013, 07:51 AM   #8
prostuff1
macrumors 65816

I started my internship with 3 quarters left of schooling. My internship turned into my job after the first quarter was up.

The last 2 quarters I was taking classes I scheduled and spread classes out so I could work as many hours for them as possible why still taking classes. Heck, they even paid for one class each quarter which saved me some money.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 07:57 AM   #9
Tomorrow
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigMAC28 View Post
Ok cool. So it is possible, I just dont want to miss hiring season at the beginning of summer. Thanks alot.
Don't worry about hiring "season" - companies hire when they need people. They won't necessarily wait for a particular time of year.

Also, don't forget that people graduate from college at several different times of the year.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 09:06 AM   #10
adk
macrumors 68000

When I was finishing college and I saw a job listing that looked good I'd send them my resume with a cover letter that basically asked them to keep me on the top of their stack and to call me when a similar opening existed in the future. This got me two interviews for jobs that were never posted.
adk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 05:51 PM   #11
TedM
macrumors 6502

This is actually not only a common practice, but an encouraged one. having a job before you graduate is considered being smart and proactive. Waiting till you graduate means possibly months of job hunting after with no money. Do it while your still in school!
Old Feb 13, 2013, 06:58 PM   #12
JoshMKB24
macrumors 6502

A lot of people have jobs lined up before they are done. Like has already been stated its pretty common. Although I know with the job market how it is less people have jobs coming out, its common practice to offer someone a job upon completion, sometimes the job has a stipulation that the offer is only good once you complete your degree.

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion