Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Feb 13, 2013, 02:17 PM   #201
Tifetup
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Absolute Genius! If life were about technology we would have been born with a port in our head like "The Matrix"!!! haha!

I love this post! It is so true, Androids are more entertaining because there is so much to do...but who wants to speng all that time playing with a phone setup that will most likely change in the very near future. It's like customizing your desktop wallpaper...who does that anymore...that's so 1995. :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgregory1 View Post
If you're "bored" with iOS and Apple in general and you're not getting the aha moment any more - switch to Android. You'll get that aha moment each time the device does what you want it to, if you can get it to do what you want it to.

Apple doesn't need to add animated icons or active weather lock screens - those kind of things are great if you're so bored you need your device to entertain you, but if you actually use your device these things seem rather pointless. Apple created such a simple OS that only takes a swipe and a click or two to get to things that can entertain you - and that's just too much work for people?

I'd hate to see how you act when it's time to open presents - and waiting for the microwave to heat up a bowl of soup must be physically painful. How can anyone be expected to wait 90 seconds for soup to heat up. But hey, while you're waiting you can stare at your Android device while it shows you it's raining outside with animated clouds and rain on the lock screen - because you don't have time to look out the window...
Tifetup is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 03:15 PM   #202
Fruit Cake
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
The iPhone is perfect for my thumb, problem is I have 2 hands and thus 2 thumbs, and gosh darnit, sometimes I like to use both my thumbs
Fruit Cake is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 03:53 PM   #203
WilliamLondon
macrumors 68000
 
WilliamLondon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleScruff1 View Post
Experience becomes important with falling market share.
Falling market share in a maturing market while growing units sold year on year doesn't mean what some seem to think it does.
WilliamLondon is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 04:42 PM   #204
thehustleman
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post
Image


At this morning's Goldman Sachs Technology and Internet Conference, Apple CEO Tim Cook spoke about a number of topics including vaguely addressing rumors of a possible future iPhone with a larger screen.

Left to right: iPhone 5, Galaxy S III, "iPhone Plus", Galaxy Note II, courtesy Marco Arment
Cook focused his comments on the user experience, saying that was more important than specifications. Answering a question about larger screen sizes, Cook had this to say (transcript from Macworld):
Cook went on to talk about smartphone displays, saying that "some people are focused on size." He explained that some things are more important than simply size, citing the poor color saturation and brightness on OLED displays.
Going back to language that he has used before, Cook said that Apple will "never ... make a crappy product." He said that for new products, Apple must design "something great, something bold, something ambitious."

One thing he didn't mention was Apple's frequent assertion that the iPhone's screen is the perfect size for "your thumb" -- the ability to hold and use the phone in one hand -- a fact that was mentioned in one of the first television ads for the iPhone 5.

Article Link: Tim Cook: For iPhones, The Experience Is Key, Not Just a Larger Screen
I switched from iphone to Android for the same reason I'm switching from a windows pc to an apple pc - a better user experience which equates to more freedom.


Apple will never make a crappy product?

The original apple tv is one crappy product.

Other than that I can't think of a single crappy apple product. I can think of products missing features that should be there but nothing crappy

Also the whole one handed thing is overrated. Galaxy S III is a great one handed phone, it's just the phablet market (intuition, note, note 2 etc) that's ruining the one handed operation
thehustleman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 05:41 PM   #205
jmgregory1
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Chicago and Spooner (when it's not 20 below)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tifetup View Post
Absolute Genius! If life were about technology we would have been born with a port in our head like "The Matrix"!!! haha!

I love this post! It is so true, Androids are more entertaining because there is so much to do...but who wants to speng all that time playing with a phone setup that will most likely change in the very near future. It's like customizing your desktop wallpaper...who does that anymore...that's so 1995. :P
I shouldn't be so harsh, as I understand it's really cool that your phone's screen can show you what it's like outside with an animated pictogram or any of the other animated lock screen things Android offers, but how many times do you really need to see it?

I know the answer is not many times, as these same people then change the widget to something else before they get bored of that and change again. It's not that these people are deranged in some way (some clearly are), it's how society pushes us to continually shorten our attention spans. Jump from one thing to the next as quickly as we can. It's manic in a way and one of the big negatives I see that technology in general is propagating.
jmgregory1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 07:15 PM   #206
apolloa
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalsta View Post
Apple has made some crappy hardware too, but I'm honestly hard-pressed to think of too many examples. The ones that spring to mind are:
  • Original iMac pucklet mouse
  • Charging cables that fall apart
  • Overheating Time Capsule
  • eMac

Okay, that last one was more ugly than crappy.

Edit: Oh, and then there was my 2007 MBP where the GPU was a ticking time bomb that would eventually require a motherboard replacement. That was NVIDIA's fault and they replaced them without charge.
The cracking plastic around the keyboards on the older plastic MacBooks, the yellow screen faults with iMacs, the finger prints behind the screens of the first gen unibody MB Pro's.

Yeah they have had their faults before.
apolloa is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 07:27 PM   #207
WilliamLondon
macrumors 68000
 
WilliamLondon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehustleman View Post
Apple will never make a crappy product?

The original apple tv is one crappy product.
Couldn't disagree more. I bought an original gen 1 ATV as soon as it went on sale and enjoyed it for several years before I upgraded to the ATV gen 2 (which I enjoy to this day) and gave my gen 1 to a friend so he could enjoy it (and it's still going). One crappy product? Not sure how you define that, but I was able to cut my cable subscription once I got the ATV and I've never looked back, plus the device is still in daily use today - crappy? I think not. The gen 1 ATV was a great product, but I'd be curious to know how your criteria are so different from mine.
WilliamLondon is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 08:04 PM   #208
CShort
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontpannic View Post
"Aha" the toggles I have are in different places in landscape and portrait. "Aha" the Facebook app requires permissions to access everything on my phone. "Aha" there are no built for android accessories. "Aha" I have my gmail in two places. "Aha" my scrolling isn't smooth

Annoyances go both ways, dude. Plus - no airplay? Sucks to be Android.
Lol, I don't have 1 single Android device and I don't really like them. You are barking up the wrong tree.
And Lol at being an iSheep. DLNA, HDMI is everything compatible that's on the market. To use airplay you have to buy a super expensive accessory, enjoy another Aha moment.
CShort is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 12:01 AM   #209
Arfdog
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
You know what else "releases the magic"? Constant rumors, 10% of which are true, and eventually they add up to a 100% true picture of the next product.
Arfdog is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 01:09 AM   #210
X5-599
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtek View Post
Yeah sure the surge is certainly oassing this year with all the flagship smartphones going to 5" form factor with retina crushing DPI's...

Wake up Apple!
You can't be serious. The so called "flagship" things are neither phone nor tablet. Retina crushing? Dream on. I hope Apple goes back to its roots to not care what others are doing!
X5-599 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 01:20 AM   #211
throAU
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by CShort View Post
To use airplay you have to buy a super expensive accessory, enjoy another Aha moment.
You mean like an apple TV for about 120 dollars?
__________________
MBP (early 2011) - Core i7 2720 2.2ghz, Hires Glossy, 16GB, Seagate Momentus XT 750GB
Mac Mini (mid 2007) - Core2 Duo 1.8, 2gb, 320gb 7200 rpm
iPhone 4S, iPad 4, iPad Mini, HTC One (eval)
throAU is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 02:46 AM   #212
dontpannic
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Orpington, Kent, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by CShort View Post
Lol, I don't have 1 single Android device and I don't really like them. You are barking up the wrong tree.
And Lol at being an iSheep. DLNA, HDMI is everything compatible that's on the market. To use airplay you have to buy a super expensive accessory, enjoy another Aha moment.
What I'm trying to say is that for all the bashing that iOS gets for being 'stale' 'boring' 'not innovative', it still does things a lot better than Android does them in some respects.

True, HDMI is there, but that's a cabled solution of which cables are available for both Android and iOS, not really an Android only feature.

DLNA? Really? That's an alternative? Considering that different display devices support different feature-sets of DLNA, different codecs, DLNA doesn't support screen mirroring, and definitely doesn't support streaming from iTunes to multiple devices around the house.

Super expensive accessory for AirPlay?

Once you own a copy of iTunes, or an iPhone/iPod/iPad, you already have everything you need to stream.

To receive the stream, all you need is either:

Apple TV - 99
AirPort Express - 79
AirServer Software - 9
XBMC Software - 0
Raspberry Pi + XMBC - 25

Not exactly bank-breaking is it?
dontpannic is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 07:43 AM   #213
spazzcat
macrumors 68000
 
spazzcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarDTO View Post
Sorry that you don't understand. Glad you are happy with the phone just the way it is though. I like to have choices. Not sure why that would bother you.
It doesn't bother me, but I don't see how it add usefulness to the phone. I want Apple to spent time making things like the calendar app or the mail app better, and not worrying about making the background pretty...
spazzcat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 07:48 AM   #214
GermanyChris
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Here
Quote:
Originally Posted by X5-599 View Post
You can't be serious. The so called "flagship" things are neither phone nor tablet. Retina crushing? Dream on. I hope Apple goes back to its roots to not care what others are doing!
Galaxy IV 441 ppi..

I do believe that beats retina..
GermanyChris is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 05:14 PM   #215
GuitarDTO
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by spazzcat View Post
It doesn't bother me, but I don't see how it add usefulness to the phone. I want Apple to spent time making things like the calendar app or the mail app better, and not worrying about making the background pretty...
It might not add usefulness to you, but it would add usefulness to me. The calendar app is perfectly fine to me, but I don't have any problems with them improving it.

Your preferences don't equal all other's preferences.
GuitarDTO is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 07:58 PM   #216
Hankcah
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
IMO I don't Apple is comparing themselves to Android. They don't release a feature of software if it's not to their standards (except for Passbook).

Those large screens and plastic shells are tacky. Form follows function with Apple.
__________________
MBP | iPhone
Hankcah is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 04:38 AM   #217
burtba
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Funny seeing the Android v IOS disputes going on, here on a Mac/IOS rumor site.....ha ha. Are Android dudes so bored with their devices they have to go searching what the competitors have etc?? WTF.
I have not ever once even checked to see if there is an Android rumor site let alone go visit it. I just wanna talk to other IOS/Mac interested peeps.
burtba is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 07:03 AM   #218
Wicked1
macrumors 68040
 
Wicked1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarDTO View Post
You are correct, Tim. Experience is everything.....and I want to experience a larger iPhone or I'm likely to switch when I'm due for another upgrade.

EDIT: Wouldn't mind the ability to customize more as well. I have my Macbook Pro very personalized without sacrificing anything the OS has to offer. You couldn't pry that thing from my hands if you tried. Don't feel that way about my phone.
Ditto for me, however the color saturation is more prevalent on the SGIII then on the Note II, had both for a trial and would never go bigger then the Note II but I have to say it is smooth and packed with a ton of cool features that I just love.
Wicked1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 09:54 AM   #219
spazzcat
macrumors 68000
 
spazzcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarDTO View Post
It might not add usefulness to you, but it would add usefulness to me. The calendar app is perfectly fine to me, but I don't have any problems with them improving it.

Your preferences don't equal all other's preferences.
I guess my question is how does it add usefulness?
spazzcat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2013, 09:17 AM   #220
NotABlindiSheep
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGRE View Post
I will buy a tablet if I need a bigger screen.
This is so illogical. There is a difference between a "bigger" screen and a gigantic screen that you need to use a bag to carry around because it simply is not practical enough to keep in your pocket.

The increase in vertical size of the iPhone screen in the iPhone 5 was a good start. The next thing Apple has to do is to at least make the screen 720p. But I'm not expecting that to happen until after the next iPhone (5S or whatever) comes out.
NotABlindiSheep is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2013, 09:25 AM   #221
maxosx
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Southern California
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgregory1 View Post
If you're "bored" with iOS and Apple in general and you're not getting the aha moment any more - switch to Android. You'll get that aha moment each time the device does what you want it to, if you can get it to do what you want it to.

Apple doesn't need to add animated icons or active weather lock screens - those kind of things are great if you're so bored you need your device to entertain you, but if you actually use your device these things seem rather pointless. Apple created such a simple OS that only takes a swipe and a click or two to get to things that can entertain you - and that's just too much work for people?

I'd hate to see how you act when it's time to open presents - and waiting for the microwave to heat up a bowl of soup must be physically painful. How can anyone be expected to wait 90 seconds for soup to heat up. But hey, while you're waiting you can stare at your Android device while it shows you it's raining outside with animated clouds and rain on the lock screen - because you don't have time to look out the window...
Oh my, you certainly enjoy hating. Awfully judgmental as well. Without your approval, others opinions seem to be open invitations for you to attack. How revealing.
maxosx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2013, 09:26 AM   #222
NT1440
macrumors G3
 
NT1440's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Hartford, CT
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotABlindiSheep View Post
The increase in vertical size of the iPhone screen in the iPhone 5 was a good start. The next thing Apple has to do is to at least make the screen 720p.
...why do they need to do that?

(waits for talk about the rest of the industry doing it, so a company as staggeringly successful and profitable as Apple, must follow the lead)
NT1440 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2013, 03:44 PM   #223
JGRE
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Dutch Mountains
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotABlindiSheep View Post
This is so illogical. There is a difference between a "bigger" screen and a gigantic screen that you need to use a bag to carry around because it simply is not practical enough to keep in your pocket.

The increase in vertical size of the iPhone screen in the iPhone 5 was a good start. The next thing Apple has to do is to at least make the screen 720p. But I'm not expecting that to happen until after the next iPhone (5S or whatever) comes out.
Adding an inch does not make the phone suitable for 'any' job. The question is where does it end? In other words what is the perfect screen size for a mobile phone.
If Apple is capable of increasing the screen without increasing the form factor (so reducing the rim in favor of the screen) or increasing the screen quality, this would be excellent . For me, increase screen size is not something I am looking for. The way Samsung is going (with the screen sizes) is not my way (and certainly not something I would call innovative).

720p means 720 horizontal image lines, as the iPhone 5 currently 1135 pixels vertically, it seams to be well in the range of 720p, it is halfway 1080p.
__________________
iPhone 5s, 2008 iMac 20", 2011 MBP 13", ATV3, iPad Mini.

Last edited by JGRE; Feb 18, 2013 at 04:13 AM.
JGRE is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 06:53 PM   #224
prowlmedia
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: London
[QUOTE=Hell0W0rld;16839187]
Quote:
Originally Posted by prowlmedia View Post
Er... as a app dev. this make no sense. Happy to Dev to any iOS screen size..it's 1/2 days work.. compared to the FUBAR world of Droid. [COLOR="#808080"]

1/2 days what are you developing, junk apps? If you use only standard UI-Apps than yes that is true but for any game, you can forget your time frame.

Let's say a few days for a very simple game, two or three weeks for an average game and if you have to redesign the game completely about a month or so.

Resizing all pngs is a lot of work man, don't play it down, you are hurting your fellow developers with your bragging.
Ah you misunderstood - I am not bragging 1-2 day to resize. My stuff is vector, not raster. A couple are Unity.

4 months per game on average to make. And yes raster game elements can be a pain. But any good designer builds way bigger and just sets a batch job to reset to a new size. And assigning sizes should be coded not absolute.

what I am saying is Apple may bring out 1 new res every few years... android have potentially loads you have to deal with
prowlmedia is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tim Cook goft20 Wasteland 0 Apr 23, 2014 04:20 PM
No larger screen iPhones this year ardchoille42 iPhone 16 Feb 12, 2014 01:04 AM
Tim Cook Asked About Larger iPhone at China Mobile Launch MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 143 Jan 22, 2014 06:18 AM
Tim Cook's Plan to Sell More iPhones in Apple Stores Could Be Tough Task MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 255 Jul 31, 2013 03:32 PM
Tim Cook: 'Intense Interest' in Redefining the Television Experience MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 125 Dec 8, 2012 12:45 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:01 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC