Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hooterville

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 24, 2012
Got in my Lunatik Taktik Extreme iPhone 5 case today and thought I would post a couple of pictures. Sorry the pictures suck, I only had my iPad here to take them with.:eek:
I have not had the chance to install the phone yet but the quality of the case seems top notch.

I'll put up some more pictures later tonight.:rolleyes:

tk01-1.jpg

tk02-1.jpg

tk03.jpg

gotdesl

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2012
Mine cam today also. Couldn't wait to get it out of the Otterbox and into this case. The results: We have a winner! This thing is for real. It feels great in the hand. Speaker output seems amplified and clear due to the speaker port design. Installation was simple. In my opinion, it is worth every penny. I am extremely pleased with both the aesthetics and the functionality of this case. It actually feels like a solid phone instead of a case. I am most impressed!

Hooterville

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 24, 2012
Mine cam today also. Couldn't wait to get it out of the Otterbox and into this case. The results: We have a winner! This thing is for real. It feels great in the hand. Speaker output seems amplified and clear due to the speaker port design. Installation was simple. In my opinion, it is worth every penny. I am extremely pleased with both the aesthetics and the functionality of this case. It actually feels like a solid phone instead of a case. I am most impressed!

I agree 100% this is one high quality case and I can't believe the difference after taking my phone out of the Lifeproof Fre case.

No Oil Slicks, Crystal Clear Sound, Top Notch Build Quality and the Gorilla Glass is absolutely fantastic.

I'm ordering a second extreme tomorrow. :)

----------

Can you do a thickness shot for us comparing the two?

I'll get one up for you in a few minutes.

Hooterville

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 24, 2012
Here is the thickness shot that I took earlier today and it's pretty crappy but it's all I have for now.
I'll try to get a better one tomorrow.

Notice the nice oil slicks on the Fre case. :(

lft03.jpg

DanUC6

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2007
Here is the thickness shot that I took earlier today and it's pretty crappy but it's all I have for now.

I appreciate it thanks!! Thats the exact reason i couldn't keep the fre.

Hooterville

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 24, 2012
Your wish is my command: :p

sides01.jpg

sides02.jpg

Extreme Packaging VS Fre Packaging:

boxes01.jpg

Last edited:

daiig

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2010
are these designed to be dustproof? i do alot of biking on trails, need something 100% dustproof and water resistant (rain,puddles etc).

Robster3

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2012

Just clean the inside of the protector and the phone with a eye glass cleaner, and that fixes it. Did with my OB defender anyway..

RickG

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2011
im really interested in this case- the one concern Im wondering about is : how does the phone feel when pressed against your ear? looks to me like there is a ridge that would press against your ear whereas the otter box has more of an even cut out for the sound to be funneled more into your ear?

Hooterville

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 24, 2012
im really interested in this case- the one concern Im wondering about is : how does the phone feel when pressed against your ear? looks to me like there is a ridge that would press against your ear whereas the otter box has more of an even cut out for the sound to be funneled more into your ear?

I haven't used the case that much but didn't have any discomfort on the calls I did make today. It's a sweet case.

fishmd

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2008
Sunny South Florida
How is the bottom flap designed for this case that covers the lightening port? Is it hinged, or do you just bend it back? I haven't been able to tell.

Thanks.

Hooterville

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 24, 2012
are these designed to be dustproof? i do alot of biking on trails, need something 100% dustproof and water resistant (rain,puddles etc).

I believe so but have a look at the Lunatik site.

----------

How is the bottom flap designed for this case that covers the lightening port? Is it hinged, or do you just bend it back? I haven't been able to tell.

Thanks.

It's a thick rubber flap that plugs in and bends down.

RichardC300

macrumors 65816
Sep 27, 2012
Is there some sort of adhesive on the gorilla glass? How would that work? How does it register touch?

Hooterville

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 24, 2012
Is there some sort of adhesive on the gorilla glass? How would that work? How does it register touch?

The touch is perfect on this case. I've seen on pictures and videos where it looks like glue behind the glass but mine looks like a perfect black finish on the inside and not those glue spots.

gotdesl

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2012
Not only is the case comfortable to use (more so than the iphone naked or in the Otterbox), but I have much better signal strength. (1 bar vs 3 bar)

drober30

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2007
Just clean the inside of the protector and the phone with a eye glass cleaner, and that fixes it. Did with my OB defender anyway..

My Lunatik has the oil slick/rainbow effect going on so I will take it apart and clean the inside.

The directions tell you to clean the inside before assembly but I skipped it thinking that I did not touch the inside so it would be perfect from the factory.

Maybe there is a greasy film that needs to be removed? It appears to me that there is space between the two pieces of glass because I can make the rainbow move around with pressure.

Other than that, the case is really nice. It is considered dust proof, shock proof and water resistant. There is a marketing video on there web site and you tube.

Buttons - I hope the volume/home buttons break in a little because they are a little stiff for my liking. The power button is recessed but smooth and easy to operate. The mute button is a little hard to operate IMHO. I believe there was mention that the iPhone 4s cases mute button was to easy to accidentally engage so I believe they shortened the button which makes it harder to activate.

I would rather have it shortened than prone to accidental activations but maybe they should investigate a different mute switch altogether.

The rubber access flap for the lightning connector seems like it will tear off in time. It is just a rubber piece that is hinged by the same rubber. You just bend it back to access the port. I really like the LifeProof case lightning access door that is hinged with metal and snaps open and close. The rubber door is easy to get open and hold out of the way but it does want to snap back into place be default.

Weight - Just by feel I can tell that the iPhone 5 is heavier with this case. This case is some rugged protection with great aesthetics but it does add some feel to the phone. I forget how sleek, thin and light the iPhone 5 is without a case. Honestly, I almost think the phone feels to thin without a case.

Functionality - I like how the case is assembled with the screws and all but it makes it difficult to remove the case if needed. I have a Mophie on the way and would like to pull this case off and slap on my Mophie when my battery needs a boost. The installation design of the Lunatik will make this a chore! The bottom of the case has a big rubber backing for ant-slip/slide protection which is nice. The case sounds very good when making or receiving calls.

Price - I truly believe the case to be a little over priced. I think a reasonable price point would be $89. Still a premium price but not one that has me second guessing my purchase. If the case was truly waterproof, the price point of >$100 would apply.

Last edited:

kampongkid

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2012
I wouldn't recommend the strike case if you have a glass screen protector. It puts too much pressure on the corners. I was careful not to screw it down too tightly, but I've still managed to end up with a crack in one corner of my bodyguardz pure.

fishmd

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2008
Sunny South Florida
I wouldn't recommend the strike case if you have a glass screen protector. It puts too much pressure on the corners. I was careful not to screw it down too tightly, but I've still managed to end up with a crack in one corner of my bodyguardz pure.

Hum interesting. I was wondering about that. Thanks for the information.

itzAstonish

macrumors member
Dec 23, 2012

The new spigen tr glass is rounded to avoid that problem

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.