Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Photography

Old Feb 26, 2013, 10:27 AM   #1
Bending Pixels
macrumors 6502

Workflow Options

What to do....I really like the workflow and organization of Aperture, but like the results that the Develop module in LR gives (including the many available presets). That said, the rest of th LR workflow leaves me frustrated (sometimes to the point I want to punch something).

I'm heavily invested in the Apple ecosystem - MBP, iPhone, iPad, and Apple TV, and do use Photo Stream to manage images on the iPad.

One option is to use LR to manage/develop everything, and send the best images to iPhoto to sync with the iPad and Apple TV. The other option is to stick with Aperture for everything, and use PS CS6's ACR for those images that need a lot of work on the highlights/shadows.

Thoughts?
Bending Pixels is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2013, 11:04 AM   #2
tmagman
macrumors 6502

what parts of the LR workflow don't you like?
7D, 15-85, 70-200 2.8 IS II, 70-300 DO, 50 1.4, Lensbabies, Canon S100
tmagman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2013, 11:23 AM   #3
Bending Pixels
macrumors 6502

Most of it relates to the whole modular setup of LR, vs. Aperture's project based setup (i.e. for one project, you can have books, slideshows, etc.).

I do a LOT of HDR work, and when an image comes back into LR, it isn't put into the Collection where the images used to create it are. Have to go into the specific folder and move the finished image into the collection. Also, there's an ongoing problem with how long some modules (the Book module in particular) take to load. I can fix coffee in the time it takes to load.
Bending Pixels is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 01:49 PM   #4
Razeus
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bending Pixels View Post
Most of it relates to the whole modular setup of LR, vs. Aperture's project based setup (i.e. for one project, you can have books, slideshows, etc.).

I do a LOT of HDR work, and when an image comes back into LR, it isn't put into the Collection where the images used to create it are. Have to go into the specific folder and move the finished image into the collection. Also, there's an ongoing problem with how long some modules (the Book module in particular) take to load. I can fix coffee in the time it takes to load.
Speed has been an issue with LR 4, especially since I've been working with my D800 and ridiculous sized RAW files. It's something I live with (short of buying a new computer) for now as LR has WAYYYY more support and community than Aperture and their non-existent updates other than iOS fluff.

Website, Pictures & Tweets
Razeus is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Photography