Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Feb 14, 2013, 11:15 PM   #1
NDefer
macrumors member

iPhone 5 Serial Number Question

Is the Iphone 5 serial number on the back of the iphone 5? if not, is there any number on the back that is unique and corresponds with a number on the box, in order to figure out which Iphone belongs to which person?

Perhaps the IMEA number or whatever it is called? Basically trying to varify ownership of an iphone. Thanks in advance
NDefer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 06:02 AM   #2
HiddenPuppy
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDefer View Post
Is the Iphone 5 serial number on the back of the iphone 5? if not, is there any number on the back that is unique and corresponds with a number on the box, in order to figure out which Iphone belongs to which person?

Perhaps the IMEA number or whatever it is called? Basically trying to varify ownership of an iphone. Thanks in advance
Can't you go to settings and get those numbers to then verify? Settings ->General ->about
HiddenPuppy is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 06:04 AM   #3
Ann P
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiddenPuppy View Post
Can't you go to settings and get those numbers to then verify? Settings ->General ->about
This. The serial number and IMEI number, it's all here.
Ann P is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 07:59 AM   #4
NDefer
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann P View Post
This. The serial number and IMEI number, it's all here.
the back IMEI number should match the box 100% of the time right? No exceptions?
NDefer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 10:10 AM   #5
HiddenPuppy
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDefer View Post
the back IMEI number should match the box 100% of the time right? No exceptions?
Yes, unless like mine, I had to have it replaced at an Apple store and they did not give me a new box, charger, or anything else. Therefore I have the original box, but an iPhone with a different IEMI number because it has been replaced. The best way I have found to confirm this is to meet the person at the phone store and have them verify that the phone is legit
HiddenPuppy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 10:35 AM   #6
alice04
macrumors regular

The best way is to go to Setting - About - then Serial Number
alice04 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 11:07 PM   #7
kevjen888
macrumors regular

Quote:
Yes, unless like mine, I had to have it replaced at an Apple store and they did not give me a new box, charger, or anything else. Therefore I have the original box, but an iPhone with a different IEMI number because it has been replaced. The best way I have found to confirm this is to meet the person at the phone store and have them verify that the phone is legit
quick question about your replacement phone. i got mine iphone 5 replaced today at an apple store, they gave me the same a la cart phone (without accessories), do you know if they're brand new? i'm afraid those are refurbished phones.
kevjen888 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 03:32 AM   #8
HiddenPuppy
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevjen888 View Post
quick question about your replacement phone. i got mine iphone 5 replaced today at an apple store, they gave me the same a la cart phone (without accessories), do you know if they're brand new? i'm afraid those are refurbished phones.
When I got my 4s replaced I ask if it was a refurb, they said no, but not sure they were being honest.

That being said, in a way I prefer referb as I know it has been rebuilt and everything that needed to be redone has been. My 2 iPads are refurb, bought them that way and they are great. I check the procedure and was told that they "remanuacture them with new parts and a case as needed. So I figure not bad and it is covered by 1 year warranty.
HiddenPuppy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 06:43 AM   #9
alphaod
macrumors Core

Quote:
When I got my 4s replaced I ask if it was a refurb, they said no, but not sure they were being honest.

That being said, in a way I prefer referb as I know it has been rebuilt and everything that needed to be redone has been. My 2 iPads are refurb, bought them that way and they are great. I check the procedure and was told that they "remanuacture them with new parts and a case as needed. So I figure not bad and it is covered by 1 year warranty.
With the iPhone 5, if the model number in Settings—>General—>About begins with 'ND' it's a refurbished phone (with the sole exception if you had your phone replaced within the first month of release—not enough returned phones to make refurbished ones).
Old Feb 19, 2013, 07:59 AM   #10
Merkie
macrumors 65816

The IMEI is engraved on the back.
Merkie is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone