Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Feb 12, 2013, 07:10 PM   #1
vim147
macrumors regular

Time Machine Backup Preferences

Anyone know if i can only just set time machine to just backup my spreadsheets only from selecting a folder or must i back up the whole HDD first ?

Not really interested in backing up all system files etc.
vim147 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 07:18 PM   #2
overanalyzer
macrumors 6502a

At least through the UI you can only exclude folders, not do an "exclude all except" kind of setting. So you could just exclude each of the system folders if you'd like. Keep in mind that most application settings and data are stored in the /Library and ~/Library folders, so you may want to back those up, even if you exclude /Applications and /System.

If you have a small number of files you want to back up, you might consider a different option like Dropbox.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 07:28 PM   #3
vim147
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by overanalyzer View Post
At least through the UI you can only exclude folders, not do an "exclude all except" kind of setting. So you could just exclude each of the system folders if you'd like. Keep in mind that most application settings and data are stored in the /Library and ~/Library folders, so you may want to back those up, even if you exclude /Applications and /System.

If you have a small number of files you want to back up, you might consider a different option like Dropbox.
There is no option through the UI to exclude anything.

Am using the icon on the top to access the time machine not a particular software.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 08:35 PM   #4
tdhurst
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to tdhurst Send a message via Yahoo to tdhurst Send a message via Skype™ to tdhurst
Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vim147 View Post
There is no option through the UI to exclude anything.

Am using the icon on the top to access the time machine not a particular software.
Click on the icon.

Click on options on the bottom right corner.

Exclude your hard drive.

Then uncheck what you want to back up.

May I ask why you don't want to back up the whole thing?
tdhurst is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 05:35 AM   #5
vim147
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdhurst View Post
Click on the icon.

Click on options on the bottom right corner.

Exclude your hard drive.

Then uncheck what you want to back up.

May I ask why you don't want to back up the whole thing?
Just need my spreadsheets backed up, otherwise i'll do it manually.

Not bothered about system files as it'll take up too much space for something i can just reinstall if i get a problem with it.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 05:40 AM   #6
trustever
macrumors 6502

if your spreadsheets are not huge why not going for google drive or similar, you will put all of them in the respective folder and they are all backup and accessible from anywhere...
trustever is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 08:11 AM   #7
vim147
macrumors regular

So I take it, there's no real way to back up just spreadsheets on its own without backing up the full drive first.

I already store it on Google drive, but thought it would just be easier to have a automatic system that would do it every night.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 05:25 PM   #8
James Craner
macrumors 68000

Quote:
So I take it, there's no real way to back up just spreadsheets on its own without backing up the full drive first.

I already store it on Google drive, but thought it would just be easier to have a automatic system that would do it every night.
Unfortunately Time Machine was designed as a turn on and forget backup solution for your entire drive. You can exclude particular folders or an entire drive, but as you have discovered it is not very easy to just backup a few folders. Time Machine has an exclude function, but not a include function.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 05:27 PM   #9
tdhurst
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to tdhurst Send a message via Yahoo to tdhurst Send a message via Skype™ to tdhurst
Huh?

Quote:

Yes there is. Exclude the whole drive.

Then uncheck what you'd like to back up.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 05:32 PM   #10
James Craner
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdhurst View Post
Yes there is. Exclude the whole drive.

Then uncheck what you'd like to back up.
what uncheck facility ? You can only exclude drives or directories or files, I have my whole HD2 drive excluded - there is no way to uncheck folders within that excluded drive, so that they are included.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 05:36 PM   #11
tdhurst
macrumors 68040

Ohhh...

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Craner View Post
what uncheck facility ? You can only exclude drives or directories, I have my whole HD2 drive excluded - there is no way to uncheck folders within that excluded drive, so that they are included.
My bad. I was thinking of a TM utility I used before (set times, allowed you to not back up certain stuff) but it doesn't work under ML.

Sorry!
Old Feb 13, 2013, 05:58 PM   #12
glenthompson
macrumors Demi-God

Get a utility like Carbon Copy Cloner and set up a scheduled task to copy the files you want backed up. You can set the times you want he task to run, like lunch and night.

CCC is also excellent for making a clone of your boot drive to use if your main drive dies. Just plug it in,boot from it, and you're back in business.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store