Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > iPhone and iPod touch Apps

Old Feb 9, 2013, 11:34 PM   #1
bonskovsky
Banned

YouTube on iPhone 5 (merged)

As had been stated by many, recently, YouTube on Safari is literally a bad experience. Videos are just not playing regardless of Internet connection speed. Afraid to replay a point in a video because it will crash.

What is going. On.

Last edited by bonskovsky; Feb 9, 2013 at 11:40 PM.
bonskovsky is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2013, 11:36 PM   #2
Beeplance
macrumors 65816

Nothing's going on with Youtube. It's playing just fine on my 3GS.

You should ask "What's wrong with my iPhone 5?" instead.
Beeplance is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2013, 11:39 PM   #3
bonskovsky
Banned

I tried Jasmine and really there are not many good youtube apps out there, I don't know where to go. Safari is not good, the actual Youtube app is not good.

I cannot.
Old Feb 9, 2013, 11:50 PM   #4
QuarterSwede
macrumors 604

It's definitely an iPhone 5 problem, although lately it's been much better at loading for me. All of my YouTube viewing apps are affected, Jasmine included.
QuarterSwede is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 12:27 AM   #5
aphexacid
macrumors 6502a

Mctube is pretty sweet. The YouTube app sucks
aphexacid is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 12:55 AM   #6
Usehername
macrumors member

YouTube on Safari works fine for me, the app blows.
Yeah I have noticed YouTube working better on Safari as of late.
Usehername is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 01:37 AM   #7
Bahroo
macrumors 65816

Mctube is a great Youtube A

----------

Mctube is a great Youtube App. The Google youtube app is not that good but it works pretty good for me on my i5. But the Mctube app and the mobile Youtube site work even better
Bahroo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 01:41 AM   #8
stonyboys
macrumors 6502

Why don't you guys like the google official app? Works perfect for me and I like it.
stonyboys is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 01:44 AM   #9
Goodeye
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonyboys View Post
Why don't you guys like the google official app? Works perfect for me and I like it.
Same here haven't had a single issue with it.
Goodeye is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 02:28 AM   #10
AppleFanatic10
macrumors 68020

Send a message via AIM to AppleFanatic10 Send a message via Skype™ to AppleFanatic10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonskovsky View Post
I tried Jasmine and really there are not many good youtube apps out there, I don't know where to go. Safari is not good, the actual Youtube app is not good.

I cannot.
Have you tried McTube? I've had it since the app came out and it's one of the best YouTube apps out right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
RIP Grandma 5/10/1930 - 9/24/2012
AppleFanatic10 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 07:59 AM   #11
ReanimationN
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

I cannot.
I hate Google's official iOS YouTube app, mainly for one reason- there's no onscreen volume controls! I nearly always control volume using the screen if I'm watching a video, not offering an onscreen volume slider seems like a huge oversight.

I use YouPlayer and generally love it. It has a similar layout to Apple's old YouTube app and has great video quality. I've noticed Jasmine's video quality isn't the greatest, plus Google's YouTube app cuts the video quality on longer videos on my iPhone 5- no other app I've tried does that.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 08:18 AM   #12
Beeplance
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReanimationN View Post
I hate Google's official iOS YouTube app, mainly for one reason- there's no onscreen volume controls! I nearly always control volume using the screen if I'm watching a video, not offering an onscreen volume slider seems like a huge oversight.

I use YouPlayer and generally love it. It has a similar layout to Apple's old YouTube app and has great video quality. I've noticed Jasmine's video quality isn't the greatest, plus Google's YouTube app cuts the video quality on longer videos on my iPhone 5- no other app I've tried does that.
No onscreen volume controls for the official YouTube app is one of the major reason why I'm staying away from it as well. The only reason I kept the app installed is the easy way to view subscriptions.

I prefer Jasmine for watching videos. At least it doesn't auto-deteriorate the video quality.
Beeplance is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 08:44 AM   #13
bonskovsky
Banned

After iOS6, YouTube has become abysmal to use. I'm hoping a new video site comes along, I'm sick and tired of YouTube.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 12:02 PM   #14
stonyboys
macrumors 6502

Quote:
After iOS6, YouTube has become abysmal to use. I'm hoping a new video site comes along, I'm sick and tired of YouTube.
Lol, keep dreaming buddy.

Honest question here, why do you guys need on screen volume controls? When I saw they were gone I assumed it was a design decision because now anyone and everyone can just use the buttons on the side. I can't think of a time when you couldn't use the volume controls on the side but could use the ones on the screen...
stonyboys is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 03:25 AM   #15
Devlin234
macrumors member

Mctube is the best IMO
Devlin234 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 08:41 AM   #16
ReanimationN
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonyboys View Post
Lol, keep dreaming buddy.

Honest question here, why do you guys need on screen volume controls? When I saw they were gone I assumed it was a design decision because now anyone and everyone can just use the buttons on the side. I can't think of a time when you couldn't use the volume controls on the side but could use the ones on the screen...
When I'm interacting with the screen, for example, choosing a video in a YouTube app, I'd prefer to keep interacting with the screen to adjust the volume, instead of needing to reach around to the side of the device and push the volume buttons. This is especially the case when watching videos in landscape while holding the phone with one hand.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 07:42 PM   #17
bonskovsky
Banned

Strongly concerned about YouTube & iPhone 5

There is a serious problem here. YouTube videos just do not play well on the iPhone 5.

In all seriousness, I think we as a community need to take action.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	396509  

Last edited by bonskovsky; Feb 12, 2013 at 08:48 PM.
bonskovsky is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 07:56 PM   #18
C DM
macrumors G5

You mean (at this time) YouTube mobile videos are not playing on your iPhone 5 (in mobile Safari)?
C DM is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 08:03 PM   #19
bonskovsky
Banned

This is consistent with iOS6 devices. YouTube has been going through changes, I don't know if it's HTML5. But something went wrong somewhere. Rumorers be encouraged to post your findings. This is starting to become a serious problem.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	396513  

Last edited by bonskovsky; Feb 12, 2013 at 08:46 PM.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 08:06 PM   #20
C DM
macrumors G5

So, something that just recently started happening with your devices running iOS 6 (when using YouTube in mobile Safari), or has been going on for a while, or perhaps even always?

Same issue in the official YouTube app and/or other YouTube apps?

Happens everywhere or in a particular location (on a particular WiFi or cellular connection)?
Old Feb 12, 2013, 08:08 PM   #21
MacDawg
macrumors P6

I just pulled up the YouTube app (something I never do) and played a number of videos with no problem whatsoever

Couldn't seem to duplicate your issue on my iPhone 5
MacDawg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 08:11 PM   #22
bonskovsky
Banned

I think it's a server issue, something about the actual YouTube website. It works sometimes, but is not at all consistent or reliable. YouTube performs poorly on the iPhone 5 overall. There is no remedy, no miracle app. Just go down the long long list of YouTube app reviews, this Google app has been thoroughly trashed. I didn't believe it myself.

Ever since Apple booted YouTube from its OS, YouTube is not as compatible with the iPhone as it once was.
bonskovsky is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 08:14 PM   #23
alexander25
Banned

i use the web browser because i want HQ videos on LTE.
alexander25 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 08:15 PM   #24
Small White Car
macrumors G4

Sometimes Youtube works great everywhere. Sometimes it doesn't. When it sputters on my Windows machine at work does that mean Google suddenly hates Microsoft?

Or, perhaps, does it mean that any technology that relies on dozens of links in a chain is always only as strong as its weakest link and it's hard to say which link is the cause of the problem at any given time?

Hmmm...
Small White Car is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 08:15 PM   #25
C DM
macrumors G5

Quote:
YouTube performs poorly on the iPhone 5 overall. There is no remedy, no miracle app. Just go down the long long list of YouTube app reviews, this Google app has been thoroughly trashed. I didn't believe it myself.

Ever since Apple booted YouTube from its OS, YouTube is not as compatible with the iPhone as it once was.
Seems fine on the iOS 6 devices I've tried just now and have been using in general--no real issues with the official YouTube app, various other YouTube apps, or playing YouTube videos in the mobile Safari browser.

While the official YouTube app lacked some features originally, Google has certainly improved it with a few updates--it still definitely lacks some features here and there, but seems to be fairly good overall. Add to that various third-party YouTube apps, some of which might not be that great, but at least a few of which are rather good, it seems that the YouTube experience on iPhone 5 (and iOS 6 in general) seems to be just fine.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > iPhone and iPod touch Apps