Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bonskovsky

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 31, 2012
As had been stated by many, recently, YouTube on Safari is literally a bad experience. Videos are just not playing regardless of Internet connection speed. Afraid to replay a point in a video because it will crash.

What is going. On.

Last edited:

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
Nothing's going on with Youtube. It's playing just fine on my 3GS.

You should ask "What's wrong with my iPhone 5?" instead.

bonskovsky

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 31, 2012
I tried Jasmine and really there are not many good youtube apps out there, I don't know where to go. Safari is not good, the actual Youtube app is not good.

I cannot.

Usehername

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2012
YouTube on Safari works fine for me, the app blows.
Yeah I have noticed YouTube working better on Safari as of late.

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
Mctube is a great Youtube A

----------

Mctube is a great Youtube App. The Google youtube app is not that good but it works pretty good for me on my i5. But the Mctube app and the mobile Youtube site work even better

stonyboys

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2012
Why don't you guys like the google official app? Works perfect for me and I like it.

AppleFanatic10

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2010
Hawthorne, CA
I tried Jasmine and really there are not many good youtube apps out there, I don't know where to go. Safari is not good, the actual Youtube app is not good.

I cannot.

Have you tried McTube? I've had it since the app came out and it's one of the best YouTube apps out right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

ReanimationN

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2011
Australia

I cannot.

I hate Google's official iOS YouTube app, mainly for one reason- there's no onscreen volume controls! I nearly always control volume using the screen if I'm watching a video, not offering an onscreen volume slider seems like a huge oversight.

I use YouPlayer and generally love it. It has a similar layout to Apple's old YouTube app and has great video quality. I've noticed Jasmine's video quality isn't the greatest, plus Google's YouTube app cuts the video quality on longer videos on my iPhone 5- no other app I've tried does that.

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
I hate Google's official iOS YouTube app, mainly for one reason- there's no onscreen volume controls! I nearly always control volume using the screen if I'm watching a video, not offering an onscreen volume slider seems like a huge oversight.

I use YouPlayer and generally love it. It has a similar layout to Apple's old YouTube app and has great video quality. I've noticed Jasmine's video quality isn't the greatest, plus Google's YouTube app cuts the video quality on longer videos on my iPhone 5- no other app I've tried does that.

No onscreen volume controls for the official YouTube app is one of the major reason why I'm staying away from it as well. The only reason I kept the app installed is the easy way to view subscriptions.

I prefer Jasmine for watching videos. At least it doesn't auto-deteriorate the video quality.

bonskovsky

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 31, 2012
After iOS6, YouTube has become abysmal to use. I'm hoping a new video site comes along, I'm sick and tired of YouTube.

stonyboys

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2012
After iOS6, YouTube has become abysmal to use. I'm hoping a new video site comes along, I'm sick and tired of YouTube.

Lol, keep dreaming buddy.

Honest question here, why do you guys need on screen volume controls? When I saw they were gone I assumed it was a design decision because now anyone and everyone can just use the buttons on the side. I can't think of a time when you couldn't use the volume controls on the side but could use the ones on the screen...

ReanimationN

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2011
Australia
Lol, keep dreaming buddy.

Honest question here, why do you guys need on screen volume controls? When I saw they were gone I assumed it was a design decision because now anyone and everyone can just use the buttons on the side. I can't think of a time when you couldn't use the volume controls on the side but could use the ones on the screen...

When I'm interacting with the screen, for example, choosing a video in a YouTube app, I'd prefer to keep interacting with the screen to adjust the volume, instead of needing to reach around to the side of the device and push the volume buttons. This is especially the case when watching videos in landscape while holding the phone with one hand.

bonskovsky

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 31, 2012
Strongly concerned about YouTube & iPhone 5

There is a serious problem here. YouTube videos just do not play well on the iPhone 5.

In all seriousness, I think we as a community need to take action.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 331
Last edited:

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
You mean (at this time) YouTube mobile videos are not playing on your iPhone 5 (in mobile Safari)?

bonskovsky

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 31, 2012
This is consistent with iOS6 devices. YouTube has been going through changes, I don't know if it's HTML5. But something went wrong somewhere. Rumorers be encouraged to post your findings. This is starting to become a serious problem.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 113
Last edited:

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
So, something that just recently started happening with your devices running iOS 6 (when using YouTube in mobile Safari), or has been going on for a while, or perhaps even always?

Same issue in the official YouTube app and/or other YouTube apps?

Happens everywhere or in a particular location (on a particular WiFi or cellular connection)?

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
I just pulled up the YouTube app (something I never do) and played a number of videos with no problem whatsoever

Couldn't seem to duplicate your issue on my iPhone 5

bonskovsky

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 31, 2012
I think it's a server issue, something about the actual YouTube website. It works sometimes, but is not at all consistent or reliable. YouTube performs poorly on the iPhone 5 overall. There is no remedy, no miracle app. Just go down the long long list of YouTube app reviews, this Google app has been thoroughly trashed. I didn't believe it myself.

Ever since Apple booted YouTube from its OS, YouTube is not as compatible with the iPhone as it once was.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Sometimes Youtube works great everywhere. Sometimes it doesn't. When it sputters on my Windows machine at work does that mean Google suddenly hates Microsoft?

Or, perhaps, does it mean that any technology that relies on dozens of links in a chain is always only as strong as its weakest link and it's hard to say which link is the cause of the problem at any given time?

Hmmm...

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
YouTube performs poorly on the iPhone 5 overall. There is no remedy, no miracle app. Just go down the long long list of YouTube app reviews, this Google app has been thoroughly trashed. I didn't believe it myself.

Ever since Apple booted YouTube from its OS, YouTube is not as compatible with the iPhone as it once was.
Seems fine on the iOS 6 devices I've tried just now and have been using in general--no real issues with the official YouTube app, various other YouTube apps, or playing YouTube videos in the mobile Safari browser.

While the official YouTube app lacked some features originally, Google has certainly improved it with a few updates--it still definitely lacks some features here and there, but seems to be fairly good overall. Add to that various third-party YouTube apps, some of which might not be that great, but at least a few of which are rather good, it seems that the YouTube experience on iPhone 5 (and iOS 6 in general) seems to be just fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.